Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Hello friends

Just a quick post to let you know what I've been up to lately. I've been in LA for 2 years now but will soon be moving to SF for my wife's job (Airbnb). The geography change will be most welcome after my time in the sprawling, urban abyss. Any advice on shooting in the Bay Area is most welcome (PM probably best though)!

Anyway, I resigned my USC research position a month ago in anticipation of our move. My wife's job is going to afford me the chance to take some time off and pursue some other projects, most notable finishing my book about the big bike trip from 2014. I have also found myself doing a lot of travel writing of late, and I expect this to continue moving forward. I have just returned from press/promotion trips to Spain and Belize/Guatemala, and I will be doing quite a bit of writing about these adventures on my birding and bird photography blog - The Speckled Hatchback (http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com) - in the next few weeks. As I know folks on this board like birding, photographing, and travel, I figured I would share this with you as you might use some of it in your future travels. The blog is not for profit but is rather a means for me to communicate with the birding community. If I'm breaking any board rules here, please let me know.

Here a just a few shots from theses various trip, plus one from here in LA.

Thanks for stopping by!

Dorian

Eurasian Griffon - Spain (damn! photography in Spain is hard without a hide/blind!)

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM lens    400mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Yucatan Nightjar - Belize

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/300s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Russet-naped Wood Rail - Belize

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +1.4x lens    560mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Bare-throated Tiger-heron (Guatemala)

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +1.4x lens    560mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    800 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Ruddy Duck (LA)

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2.0x lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Warkari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Wonderful pics

- Amit

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:46 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Dorian,
Good to have finally met you a few weeks back at SJWS.
Super set here my friend, 1 and 3 for me.

Take Care

-Tim

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Just fabulous Dorian and am really happy for you that you will be moving to NoCal....I think it will be more your speed and you will find it a great change of pace and lead to a much more enjoyable lifestyle.
Eric

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:03 AM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

These are sweet, Dorian.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:04 AM
unike

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

First one is my favorite. How did you manage to get above the bird? Were you on a mountain or something?

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

You have some lovley images here Dorian. You live one exciting life!

Morris

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:23 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Beautiful capture, Dorian. Love the Griffon

-Tam

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:25 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Great to hear about your adventures and future plans Dorian. Love the shots from overseas and especially that flapping Ruddy...I have lots of opportunity to watch/photograph those Ruddys up here and not once have I seen one flap like that.

TFS
Geoff

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:28 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

These are all great Dorian ~ Ron

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:28 AM
kdacharya
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

simply delightful and artistic, Dorian. Will most certainly check out your blog. Good luck with all your endeavors and good luck with the writing.
TFS

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:54 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spain, Guatemala, and Belize

Very nice to see some new subjects. Really nice. You are lucky to be able to travel and a bonus to be able to photograph as well. Bruce

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password