New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Other than my feeble attempts at astro-photography, here is probably my longest wildlife shot attempt. I've been to Yellowstone a couple of times, but had yet to see a grizzly when this big guy was spotted about 3/4 mile away on a distant hillside and trying to stalk some elk (not in the frame) by using the sage brush as cover. The elk were on to him and kept a safe distance. I watched for probably 30 minutes. 5dmkIII and 400 2.8 IS I with a 2.0x III. Still just a few pixels in this frame, but atleast I can say I saw a grizzly at YNP.

2nd image with the 1dmk4, 400 2.8 IS I and a 1.4x III and a substantial crop.

Mar 22, 2017 at 02:31 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

tsangc wrote:
I can't say I figured this out--there have been several threads on how to modify a whole bunch of similar kit lenses into macro lenses:

Here's an example:

http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/54399508
https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/1uwwg9/canon_3580mm_macro/

I'll have to try and shoot something new with it...

Thanks for the info, I learned a new lens hack today. And I thought that reversed lenses are the only cool macro hacks!

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

timgangloff wrote:
Other than my feeble attempts at astro-photography, here is probably my longest wildlife shot attempt. I've been to Yellowstone a couple of times, but had yet to see a grizzly when this big guy was spotted about 3/4 mile away on a distant hillside and trying to stalk some elk (not in the frame) by using the sage brush as cover. The elk were on to him and kept a safe distance. I watched for probably 30 minutes. 5dmkIII and 400 2.8 IS I with a 2.0x III. Still just a few pixels in this frame, but atleast I can
...Show more

Nice job in getting the subject from over a km away!

We also do such a shot in birding, for ID and documentary purposes. Here's a docu shot of a raptor which is found only in our islands taken from over a km away (the bird's total length is 24 inches).

Philippine Hawk-Eagle (Spizaetus philippensis, a Philippine endemic)

Shooting Info - Elev. 975 m ASL, Bessang Pass, Cervantes, Ilocos Sur, Philippines, January 28, 2010, 7D + 500 f4 IS + Canon 1.4x TC, 700 mm, f/7.1, ISO 200, 1/400 sec, bean bag, manual exposure in available light

After getting that quick, insurance shot, I mounted 2 doublers on the 500 f4 to get some documentary footage. The effect of atmospherics at such a long shot is easily visible in the video, with the subject getting soft and sharp alternately even if the focus is not being adjusted. The "zooming in" was done digitally in post.

7D + 500 f4 IS + stacked Canon/Sigma 2x TCs, 2000 mm, f22, ISO 400, 1/60 sec, bean bag, manual exposure in available light, IS on.

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Nearest and farthest - not counting the occasional star that gets into the frame. What can I say? I like bumblebees and rockets!

Bumblebee

Canon EOS-1D Mark II    180mm    f/22.0    1/250s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

STS-131 (all the way to orbit)

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens    18mm    f/16.0    531s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

stanj wrote:
Nearest and farthest - not counting the occasional star that gets into the frame. What can I say? I like bumblebees and rockets!

Excellent examples of near and far subjects, Stan!

The exposure of the amazing rocket launch shot was almost 9 minutes, and my initial thought was that such a long Tv should have badly over-exposed the brighter portions of the image. Then I realized that the bright, burning rocket was actually moving across the frame, not lingering on and overwhelming specific pixels. Silly me for belatedly realizing this shot is very similar to how fireworks images are captured.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:57 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Yes, that's correct. I did also have an nd filter on the lens, but I forgot what strength. This was the last of many, many night launches that I've shot, and indeed the last time I used an nd filter at night. I used a total of six cameras for this launch, three of them capturing long exposures. One of them was hopelessly overexposed and mis-framed because I did my math wrong, both pertaining to angle and exposure. I'm still kicking myself over that one as this was a launch with a very special personal meaning to me. Oh well.

Mar 23, 2017 at 04:31 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

stanj wrote:
Yes, that's correct. I did also have an nd filter on the lens, but I forgot what strength. This was the last of many, many night launches that I've shot, and indeed the last time I used an nd filter at night. I used a total of six cameras for this launch, three of them capturing long exposures. One of them was hopelessly overexposed and mis-framed because I did my math wrong, both pertaining to angle and exposure. I'm still kicking myself over that one as this was a launch with a very special personal meaning to me. Oh well.
...Show more

I can imagine the complexity of planning such a shot of a very rare event. The arch of light is very photogenic as well, it would be nice to see this image in a big print. Well done!

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:31 AM
volyrat
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

I'm now working in the Chantilly area and every time I get a chance to go to the Air & Space Annex I think of all of the photos you've shared of the Shuttle over the years and the stories that go along with them. Thanks so much for sharing them here.

Bob

stanj wrote:

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

howard
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Liquidstone wrote:
The sun is distant enough.

Looks like you didn't use a filter in these shots?

No, I didn't. What filter would you use in such cases? ND? But that will uniformly reduce the light across the frame and would not reduce the contrast (between the sun and its surrounding areas).

Mar 23, 2017 at 09:39 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

howard wrote:
No, I didn't. What filter would you use in such cases? ND? But that will uniformly reduce the light across the frame and would not reduce the contrast (between the sun and its surrounding areas).

I haven't used sun filters myself. I only try to shoot the sun when it's very low in the horizon and there is some haze to naturally filter much of the intense light (even then I try not to look at the sun to avoid eye damage).

Here's an old sunshot from my filterless birding rig:

And a link to an article that discusses sun photography and filters:
http://photographyblogger.net/how-to-take-photos-of-the-sun-with-your-dslr/

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:13 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Oh wait! Speaking of the sun - May/June 2012 was pretty good in that context. I put a 10-stop ND filter into my 400 DO and that wasn't quite enough but I still can see clearly, so it's all good.

Solar eclipse from Pyramid Lake

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM lens    400mm    f/16.0    1/5000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

House made pinhole camera / telescope

Canon PowerShot S100    5.2-26.0 mm lens    6mm    f/2.2    1/1000s    80 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Transit of the Venus from my back yard

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/16.0    1/8000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:22 AM
howard
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Liquidstone wrote:
I haven't used sun filters myself. I only try to shoot the sun when it's very low in the horizon and there is some haze to naturally filter much of the intense light (even then I try not to look at the sun to avoid eye damage).

Here's an old sunshot from my filterless birding rig:

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/59721148.jpg

And a link to an article that discusses sun photography and filters:
http://photographyblogger.net/how-to-take-photos-of-the-sun-with-your-dslr/

Thanks for the info!

This reminded me, I have taken some pictures with the sun "veiled" by low bands of clouds. I am usually too lazy to use filters (except CPL whenever appropriate), and when there is a thin layer of clouds near the horizon during sunrise/sunset, they act like a natural filter if you wish, toning down the harsh contrast and adding more color.

But during solar eclipse, you don't get to choose ...

Mar 24, 2017 at 02:07 AM
Photonadave
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Scarlet Pimpernel flower

Canon EOS-40D MP-E65mm f/2.8 f/8 1/100s 100 ISO Magnification: ~3X

The flower is approximately .25 inch across.

Jupiter & 4 moons

Jupiter: Canon EOS-40D EF600mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4X II f/10 1/60s 200 ISO
Moons: Canon EOS-40D EF600mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4X II f/8 1/60s 800 ISO

This is a composite of 2 shots, one exposed for Jupiter and one exposed for the moons that is heavily cropped to ~1/8 of total width of the frame. It looks like the shot with the moons was jiggled a little during exposure.

Mar 24, 2017 at 06:29 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Photonadave wrote:
Scarlet Pimpernel flower
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/photonadave/2009_05_03_2255_zpsreekp1dm.jpg
Canon EOS-40D MP-E65mm f/2.8 f/8 1/100s 100 ISO Magnification: ~3X

The flower is approximately .25 inch across.

Jupiter & 4 moons
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/photonadave/2010_10_10_4149_4153_3_zpsyur6wigj.jpg
Jupiter: Canon EOS-40D EF600mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4X II f/10 1/60s 200 ISO
Moons: Canon EOS-40D EF600mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4X II f/8 1/60s 800 ISO

This is a composite of 2 shots, one exposed for Jupiter and one exposed for the moons that is heavily cropped to ~1/8 of total width of the frame. It looks like the shot with the moons was jiggled a little during exposure.

Amazing examples of extreme range of shooting distance.... well done!

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I get too close to some birds. The 3 m MFD of the 400 2.8 IS + 2x TC allows a frame filling head portrait shot even if the subject is smallish (7.5 inches total length, head diameter is probably less than 1.5 inches).

Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus)

Shooting Info - Bued River, Rosario, La Union, Philippines, October 28, 2015, 7D + 400 2.8 L IS + 2x TC II, f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/160 sec, 475B/516 support, manual exposure in available light, almost full frame resized to 1500x1000.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:05 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Not my footage, but i found it so impressive i had to share:

Mar 24, 2017 at 07:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password