New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Liquidstone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Not sure if there's already a thread on this before, but I'm curious to see shots at both extremes of the shooting distance envelope - extreme macros and super long shots (could be astros or terrestial objects). These images could demonstrate the amazing power of lenses and/or dense pixels in resolving things that the naked eye can't perceive.

Indicating the gear used and shooting details will make the images even more interesting.

Will post some of mine down the thread.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

One of my closer shots: SELF PORTRAIT AT THE TIP OF A BALLPEN - 7D + 37 mm ET + 100 2.8 macro (at f/11) + reversed 50 1.8 II (manually stopped down to f/2.8), 2.5 sec, ISO 400, manual exposure/focus, 455B/410 support.

Here's how the shooting rig looked:

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

I think this is among the farthest objects I tried to shoot:

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

About 2 million light years away. This was my first ever attempt to shoot the Andromeda Galaxy. I know it kind of sucks compared to most of what can be found out on the internet, but I didn't have nearly enough exposure time, and given the subpar results I didn't spend much time in PP.

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400 Mark II at 300 mm

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

moondigger wrote:
About 2 million light years away. This was my first ever attempt to shoot the Andromeda Galaxy. I know it kind of sucks compared to most of what can be found out on the internet, but I didn't have nearly enough exposure time, and given the subpar results I didn't spend much time in PP.

Wow..... that is really distant.

Just curious, was the zooming back to 300 mm from full zoom done to reduce subject motion during the long exposure?

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

That is a REALLY impressive shot of Jupiter, for a single exposure! When I first saw it I assumed it was a video stack. Nice work.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:54 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Even with a supertelephoto, Venus is a featureless bright dot in my attempts, not unlike a magnified hot pixel. I'm glad the moon got close to the line of fire, so it could be included in the frame.

VENUS AND EARTH'S MOON, May 16, 2010
7D + 400 2.8 IS + stacked Canon 2x/1.4x TCs, 1120 mm, f/11, 1/20 sec, ISO 200, 475B/3421 support, single exposure, rotated for composition, cropped and resized to 60%.

Link to the larger image:
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/124618190/original

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Liquidstone wrote:
Just curious, was the zooming back to 300 mm from full zoom done to reduce subject motion during the long exposure?

Sort of. I had the camera mounted on a SkyGuider, which wasn't 100% polar aligned. (It was at first, but I think I must have nudged it accidentally). I was doing 75 second subs, and the stars were trailing a bit at 400 mm. I zoomed out a bit and liked the field of view better at 300 mm anyway. If clouds weren't visible rolling in from a distance I might have done the polar alignment over again. I still ended up with some minor star trailing.

This was my first ever attempt at Andromeda, with what was frankly the wrong gear anyway. I should have used my Canon 300/4L (non-IS). Super sharp wide open and only 8 or 9 lens elements. A stop faster than the zoom and better light transmission due to fewer air/glass surfaces.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:04 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Liquidstone wrote:
Even with a supertelephoto, Venus is a featureless bright dot in my attempts, not unlike a magnified hot pixel. I'm glad the moon got close to the line of fire, so it could be included in the frame.

I got a shot of Venus that shows a little more detail, but not much. Unlike yours, it's a featureless dark almost-circle.

Unfortunately doesn't really fit with this thread because it didn't involve Canon gear. (Also, won't be able to try this one again for a hundred years.)

iPhone 4s aimed into eyepiece of Celestron C5+ with Thousand Oaks solar filter mounted

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:14 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

moondigger wrote:
Sort of. I had the camera mounted on a SkyGuider, which wasn't 100% polar aligned. (It was at first, but I think I must have nudged it accidentally). I was doing 75 second subs, and the stars were trailing a bit at 400 mm. I zoomed out a bit and liked the field of view better at 300 mm anyway. If clouds weren't visible rolling in from a distance I might have done the polar alignment over again. I still ended up with some minor star trailing.

This was my first ever attempt at Andromeda, with what was frankly the
...Show more

Thanks for the background info. I'm thinking the 300 2.8 or 400 2.8 would be ideal for that type of shot because of the extra 2 stops and the edge-to-edge sharpness.

moondigger wrote:

I got a shot of Venus that shows a little more detail, but not much. Unlike yours, it's a featureless dark almost-circle.

Unfortunately doesn't really fit with this thread because it didn't involve Canon gear. (Also, won't be able to try this one again for a hundred years.)

Impressive stuff!

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Liquidstone wrote:
Thanks for the background info. I'm thinking the 300 2.8 or 400 2.8 would be ideal for that type of shot because of the extra 2 stops and the edge-to-edge sharpness.

A 300 f/2.8 would probably be too heavy for my SkyGuider, but I didn't have one at that time anyway. The 300/4L has a good reputation for this type of shot. It too is sharp across the frame, and while it is one stop slower than the 300/2.8, that doesn't make as big of a difference as you might expect due to background brightness (light pollution). You're going to end up doing multiple subs anyway and stacking later.

Most beginning deep sky astrophotographers have the best luck with small APO triplet refractors in the f/5 to f/7 range, often coupled with a Canon 6D. F/2.8 would be fantastic to use on faint nebulae and galaxies, but only if you're in a truly dark sky location. Anywhere else and background brightness/light pollution are going to intrude pretty quickly in the f/2.8 shots.

Regarding the shot of the Venus transit -- I was completely surprised and pleased when I got such good results just aiming the iPhone camera into the telescope eyepiece.

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:23 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

moondigger wrote:
Regarding the shot of the Venus transit -- I was completely surprised and pleased when I got such good results just aiming the iPhone camera into the telescope eyepiece.

Amazing what the Celestron 5-incher can do if properly set up.

I tried my birding 5-incher once at a comet, but I was limited to a maximum of 3.2 sec Tv before the star trails get too long.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:04 AM
tsangc
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

The closest thing I've ever shot is the tip of a push pin:

This was shot with a Canon SL1 and a EF35-80mm f4-5.6 III with it's front elements removed. The shot was 1/6th second, f11, ISO400.

A coworker brought in his father's old film Rebel kit lens and we made this cheapskate macro modification for fun. I enjoyed it so much I bought my own at the local Henry's clearance center, which had a sale on these old kit lenses for $10.

I've also used the EF-S 60mm Macro, and it's certainly a lot sharper, but this weird hack of a lens is just really fun to play with.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:05 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

tsangc wrote:

The closest thing I've ever shot is the tip of a push pin:

https://tsangc.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/img_0104-small.jpg

This was shot with a Canon SL1 and a EF35-80mm f4-5.6 III with it's front elements removed. The shot was 1/6th second, f11, ISO400.

A coworker brought in his father's old film Rebel kit lens and we made this cheapskate macro modification for fun. I enjoyed it so much I bought my own at the local Henry's clearance center, which had a sale on these old kit lenses for $10.

I've also used the EF-S 60mm Macro, and it's certainly a lot sharper, but this weird hack of a lens
...Show more

Lol.... well done. I'd love to see a photo of the hacked lens as well.

Mar 21, 2017 at 06:31 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

Comet Holmes again! - stereo pair made at the very beginning and very end of 15th November 2007. I think without looking it up I used a 40D and 85mm f1.8.

Mar 21, 2017 at 07:53 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

I frequently have the sun in my frame, does that count?

Anyway, here's a couple that I specifically took of the sun, the first 2 are of a Solar Eclipse, the last one showing sun spots (which was shot through an airport window)

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:27 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

My closest subject was the inside of my lens cap, when I was trying to emulate Nikon and Sony users by seeing how much I could lift the shadows...

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:24 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

David Baldwin wrote:
Comet Holmes again! - stereo pair made at the very beginning and very end of 15th November 2007. I think without looking it up I used a 40D and 85mm f1.8.

Excellent!

Lesson learned for me - don't be too greedy on focal length when shooting comets in an unguided rig, go for brighter (even if shorter) glass instead.

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

howard wrote:
I frequently have the sun in my frame, does that count?

Anyway, here's a couple that I specifically took of the sun, the first 2 are of a Solar Eclipse, the last one showing sun spots (which was shot through an airport window)

http://www.travelerathome.com/image_upload/other/solar_eclipse1.jpg

http://www.travelerathome.com/image_upload/other/solar_eclipse2.jpg

http://www.travelerathome.com/2015_seattle_houston/seattle1/sun.jpg

The sun is distant enough.

Looks like you didn't use a filter in these shots?

molson wrote:
My closest subject was the inside of my lens cap, when I was trying to emulate Nikon and Sony users by seeing how much I could lift the shadows...

Lol... I was waiting for the image to load, then I realized that the frame is all 0,0,0 (R,G,B).

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:52 PM
tsangc
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your farthest and closest subjects taken with EOS gear

I'd love to see a photo of the hacked lens as well.

I can't say I figured this out--there have been several threads on how to modify a whole bunch of similar kit lenses into macro lenses:

Here's an example:

http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/image/54399508
https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/1uwwg9/canon_3580mm_macro/

I'll have to try and shoot something new with it...

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:14 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password