New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Monte Fitz Roy, Argentina

nnachappa64
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monte Fitz Roy, Argentina

I've started working on more photos from my Argentina trip.

This is a photo of Mount Fitz Roy near El Chalten.

We were there for the new year and got up early to get a shot of it at first light. I initially wanted a photo with the town in the foreground and the mountains in the background. But, as the sunlight hit the mountains, I had to quickly change my composition and put on an ND Grad filter to get the correct exposure.

I framed the image so that the clouds act as a part of the composition. They were moving pretty fast so I had to wait for some time before I got it in the right place. Luckily, the foreground was lit when this cloud entered the frame and I got this shot.

This is also known as smoking mountain and rightly so, it looks like there is a bit of smoke coming from the mountain top.

Would love to hear some feedback and comments!

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM
FunkyPDB

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monte Fitz Roy, Argentina

Really cool shot. I think it might help to darken the center portion a little or perhaps lighten the foreground a tad so there is more balance to the photo? It seems overly bright for me. Cool looking place though!

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:17 AM
Bespoked
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monte Fitz Roy, Argentina

Love it. I'd pull shadows up in the foreground a touch (just a little) and darken the brightest section of the middle of the image, but that's just me and it's a great image!

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:30 AM
Kevin T

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monte Fitz Roy, Argentina

Super shot! I am having a contemplation over a morning cup of coffee and really enjoying the image. I also took a moment to google the area and OMG! What a wonderful area to see! I read the first couple of posts and was going down the same path but then when I went to crop some of the "heaviness" of the bottom, I found that, for me the "weight" of the silhouette is able to balance the majesty of the formation. So anything more than just a little slice didn't really change the balance for me.

I would like to see what lightening the foreground does to the image too. But I like the implied distance and voyeuristic allure of something that cannot be reached. The clouds are fantastic and in my mind also play into the reveal and also the tease that mother nature doesn't possess the same limitations as us mortals!

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:29 PM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monte Fitz Roy, Argentina

FunkyPDB wrote:
Really cool shot. I think it might help to darken the center portion a little or perhaps lighten the foreground a tad so there is more balance to the photo? It seems overly bright for me. Cool looking place though!

Hi Funky,

Thank you for the comment. I can open it up more.. There is a hint of foreground there though. It's very subtle which can be seen on a calibrated screen. I printed this at home and it can be seen in that as well.

---------------------------------------------

Bespoked wrote:
Love it. I'd pull shadows up in the foreground a touch (just a little) and darken the brightest section of the middle of the image, but that's just me and it's a great image!

Thank you Bespoked.

The reason I left it this bright is because the sun was directly on the mountain and reflecting a lot of the light directly. We were standing at a distance but it was bright.

During my research and when composing the image, I thought of the 'silver mountains legend' and the derivation of the name 'Argentina' from Argentum (Silver) and wanted to give that feeling to the viewer.
---------------------------------------------

Kevin T wrote:
Super shot! I am having a contemplation over a morning cup of coffee and really enjoying the image. I also took a moment to google the area and OMG! What a wonderful area to see! I read the first couple of posts and was going down the same path but then when I went to crop some of the "heaviness" of the bottom, I found that, for me the "weight" of the silhouette is able to balance the majesty of the formation. So anything more than just a little slice didn't really change the balance for me.

I would
...Show more

Thank you Kevin! I've never had someone say such nice things about my photo! You are great with words!

I've trained myself over the years to 'crop in the field' and when composing, I made sure that the clouds I included did work in the composition.

The area is fantastic if you can get down there. Flights are long and slightly expensive but worth it in all! People are very friendly and the dogs are friendlier.

Also, Fitz Roy is called the 'Smoking Mountain' because it looks like it's smoking all the time. Right on top of the mountain, there is some cloud that looks like a hand pointing to the left (noticed that at home though )

I've also included the full resolution version in this link with raised shadow revealing the foreground a little more.

Hoping to get more feedback on that.

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password