Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

leewoolery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

I am just finishing up 116 year-end appreciation collages as gifts for seniors and 6th graders in winter sports. This season, there was boys and girls basketball, ice hockey, gymnastics, swimming, wrestling and cheerleading.

One high school booster club decided they wanted a collage for all 50 athletes 9-12 so I had to keep close tally as to who was photographed and who was not.

The high schools, booster clubs and youth leagues commission these before the season starts so I know, in advance, that I have to capture action images of everybody on the list.

I only create these for schools and youth leagues under exclusive contract for the teams and individual photos so these combined with over 100 senior banners per year makes it worth the effort to show up for game action.

This is the only way I cover game-action these days.

The collages are created with Fotofusion and all extractions by Rebooku.

I keep these designs simple with 3 image elements to deal with...dominant, subdominant and subordinate and use transparency and overlap with desaturated color throughout. Exactly what I learned in my foundation year of two-dimensional design at the Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus, Ohio and 30 years as a professional advertising illustrator.

Here are a few.

© Lee Woolery Speedshot Photo

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:31 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

Uff da. How many hours you figure went into this project?

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:47 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

...more...

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:01 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

Henry:

It didn't really take that much time once I had all of the players photographed and their images selected and extracted.

Fotofusion is a fast collage program and Rebooku processed over 200 perfect extractions in record time and the printer did an outstanding job on colors, laminations and mounting.

I can design 5 or 6 of these per hour and have done as many as 30 in one sitting.

It's all part of the exclusive contracts for these school systems and youth leagues so these are a very-much anticipated part of the season-ending banquets.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:18 PM
ThePictureGuy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

henry albert wrote:
Uff da. How many hours you figure went into this project?

Totally off topic, but thank you for giving me the opportunity to read my first "Uff da." I've heard it said before but never read it spelled out. I saw it and thought, "He must be Minnesotan," checked your profile and sure enough....

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:39 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

Lee, thanks for posting these. I often cruise the Sports Forum for collages in an effort to get some inspiration for my own work.

I actually do something very similar for one of the local high schools here in the Philly suburbs. I only do seniors and only shoot football, baseball, and lacrosse so far. This is a monumental task to get useable photos for that many students across that many sports (and this is just the winter sports)! One of the great challenges I find is to get three worthy shots of the kids that don't play much (or relief pitchers in baseball since you never quite know when they'll get in). I can only imagine the effort it would take to get all the shots you needed for all these (and that doesn't factor in the variety of skills and equipment that it takes to shoot such a varied set of sports).

Major kudos to you on securing such a nice gig and developing it to this level. It has to be a tremendous amount of work, but extremely rewarding.

All the best!
Gary

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:53 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

gtjohnson wrote:
Lee, thanks for posting these. I often cruise the Sports Forum for collages in an effort to get some inspiration for my own work.

I actually do something very similar for one of the local high schools here in the Philly suburbs. I only do seniors and only shoot football, baseball, and lacrosse so far. This is a monumental task to get useable photos for that many students across that many sports (and this is just the winter sports)! One of the great challenges I find is to get three worthy shots of the kids that don't play much (or
...Show more

Gary:

Thanks.

In addition to the winter sports, I have to create these senior action collages for 2 high schools with football, boys and girls soccer, volleyball, soccer and football cheer, track and field, golf, cross country, track and field, baseball and softball.

Some seniors never get in games until senior night or at the end of blow-out games and some unfortunately are hit with a season-ending injury so showing up at enough games is vitally important.

I am at ISO's of 100 to 20,000 and use lenses from a 50 f/1.4- to 400 f/2.8.

It is job-security because no photographer in their right mind would agree to take action photos of every single contestant requested in order to keep these consistent.

With fall, winter and spring, there are over 200 of these commissioned every year.

Throw in the team photos, senior banners, prom and homecoming dances and it's all worthwhile.

Mar 26, 2017 at 07:41 PM
rschroeter2124

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

Curious on what you charge for these? I find it's difficult to charge enough to make it 'worth it' but low enough that they actually purchase.

Apr 03, 2017 at 11:39 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

rschroeter2124 wrote:
Curious on what you charge for these? I find it's difficult to charge enough to make it 'worth it' but low enough that they actually purchase.

I can't give out my prices on these since they vary from client to client due to complexity, number ordered and sizes.

Some groups will spend as much as $200.00 on each senior with pre-season banners, action collages and team schedule designs

These are commissioned by the schools, youth leagues and booster clubs before season starts and I have been doing them for the past 14 years.

I invoice the organization that commissioned the posters directly and the check comes from the treasurer...not individual parents...big difference!

Individual clients have the option to purchase but may pay twice to three times what the league, school or booster clubs pay so very few of those are ever ordered.

I get a volume discount on my printing so my profit margin is very high.

Generally...I only photograph action of those athletes on my lists and nobody else.

They are quite profitable though since the program I use is very fast and I only make this service available for leagues or schools under contract for the team photos. I get requests all the time from schools and youth leagues not under contract for team photos for action posters and coverage but now turn all down.

That is the only way to make these posters possible since the pre-season team photos are incorporated in the action design and the banners.

Apr 03, 2017 at 12:41 PM
rschroeter2124

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

leewoolery wrote:
I can't give out my prices on these since they vary from client to client due to complexity, number ordered and sizes.

Some groups will spend as much as $200.00 on each senior with pre-season banners, action collages and team schedule designs

These are commissioned by the schools, youth leagues and booster clubs before season starts and I have been doing them for the past 14 years.

I invoice the organization that commissioned the posters directly and the check comes from the treasurer...not individual parents...big difference!

Individual clients have the option to purchase but may pay twice to three times what the league,
...Show more

Thanks for the info ! I think that's cool to offer as a secondary service to the clients that pay for the T&I.

Apr 03, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Winter Season-Ending Collages

Nice work!

Apr 13, 2017 at 07:59 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.