New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

20mm options for landscape

lightskyland
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 20mm options for landscape

I currently own the 28 + 21mm converter. It's serviceable, especially stopped down to f/11. But it doesn't have biting sharpness anywhere, and the sunstars are difficult to invoke and mediocre. I also have an A-mount Sigma 20/1.8 that's not really very good at all for landscape use, even stopped down.

I'm considering the Firin 20 and (obviously!) the holy-grail Loxia 21.

I want to buy the Firin since it's faster and can be pressed into use for nighttime / astro / aurora photography. But I hear it's not really quite good enough at f/2, and that images aren't as sharp as the Loxia. And of course a much lower price for the Firin.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Mar 20, 2017 at 08:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 20mm options for landscape

Read this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1480006

Mar 20, 2017 at 08:57 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 20mm options for landscape

Thanks, I have been following that thread. Would you say it's just as good for landscape use as the Loxia?

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:10 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 20mm options for landscape

lightskyland wrote:
I currently own the 28 + 21mm converter. It's serviceable, especially stopped down to f/11. But it doesn't have biting sharpness anywhere, and the sunstars are difficult to invoke and mediocre. I also have an A-mount Sigma 20/1.8 that's not really very good at all for landscape use, even stopped down.

I'm considering the Firin 20 and (obviously!) the holy-grail Loxia 21.

I want to buy the Firin since it's faster and can be pressed into use for nighttime / astro / aurora photography. But I hear it's not really quite good enough at f/2, and that images aren't as sharp as
...Show more

Read the thread that Guy linked to above.
But here's my take from that thread (I have the Lox, but haven't myself used the Firin)

(1) I doubt there's much sharpness difference between then at shared apertures. Both are outstanding.
(2) I much prefer the sunstars on the Lox to those I have seen, and would expect given the iris, on the Firin
(3) The Lox performs a bit better against the light
(4) the Firin is 100g heavier and a bit larger

Given all that I personally would still buy the Lox; I care about sunstars and against the light performance, I care about weight on long hiking trips, and I have no real use for f2 on a 20mm lens. (Unless for iccasional Astro if I didn't have something else for that - and the Firin has a bit more coma than ideal for that)

BUT

The Firin is much cheaper, and I think probably in no way worse when the sun isn't in (or near?) the image - so it could be a great quality inexpensive lens for landscapes and interiors.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 09:18 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 20mm options for landscape

Absolutely as most landscape your at 5.6 or F8 which both lenses are outstanding at . Even F4 both these lenses perform extremely well. Color looks really nice with the Firin and I would say the vignetting is better with the Firin more wide open. It's a nice gradual falloff. Loxia has nicer sunstars and a bit better at flare from memory.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:18 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 20mm options for landscape

Yeah, I shoot against the light a lot though.

Really wanted to buy the Firin instead of the Loxia.

Thanks everyone.

$1500.

Most expensive piece of camera gear ever for me so far.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:21 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 20mm options for landscape

lightskyland wrote:
Yeah, I shoot against the light a lot though.

Really wanted to buy the Firin instead of the Loxia.

Thanks everyone.

$1500.

Most expensive piece of camera gear ever for me so far.

Don't let me/us talk you into more money than you are comfortable with.

It's not like the Firin (as far as I can tell from samples) has bad flare; it's just the Lox is amazing.
And ultimately the sunstars are a matter of taste. I like the clear ten pointed ones on the Lox; but look at samples of the Firin - you may like them, or not. They are certainly, even to my taste, better than many.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 20mm options for landscape

I've been considering a 18-21 as well, and the loxia 21 sunstars are on another level.

nikon 20 f1.8 looks nice, but kind of big and nikon adapters are lame.

I'll probably take the hit with the loxia eventually for the sunstars, I really like good stars since I shoot a lot of cityscapes.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:01 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 20mm options for landscape

Try renting them see what you like. The Flare difference is minimal , the sunstars you just have to pick what you like better.

Joshua bought one as well, maybe he will have more images on the thread. I might get out latter in the week.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:21 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 20mm options for landscape

Another cheaper possibility (than the Loxia) if you don't mind the size is a used 21mm Contax Distagon + adapter

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:11 AM
sebbe
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 20mm options for landscape

The Loxia 21 is my favorite lens in my whole lens setup. Which ist quite surprising because usually I'm shooting people with FL50-90. This lens brought me more into shooting landscapes. The lens is expensive, but you will not regret the buy (as long as you like the FL of course).

On the other hand there is the 16-35/4 which delivers great quality for landscapes and which is surprisingly good enough for night shots.

Edited on Mar 21, 2017 at 10:52 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:22 AM
simonedf

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 20mm options for landscape

The Voigtlander 21mm F/1.8 could be another good option.

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:42 AM
tzhang4284
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 20mm options for landscape

I bought the loxia when it first came out and love it. Plenty of reviews with specifics but the firin does not tempt me at all. If I didnt have the loxia, i would seriously consider the 16-35mm f4 zoom. I had a used copy for $900 give or take before the loxia and it was pretty good from 16mm to 24mm. The f4 aperture is fast enough for landscapes except astrophotography. if you dont care about size or fast aperturr, the zoom might be a better bet. You would have some money leftover too for a good dedicated astro lens like a rokinon 14mm.

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:00 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 20mm options for landscape

If 20 mm is a must, I recommend to use the Canon 20/2.8 FD lens with a simple FD/E-mount adapter. I used this lens a few times on my A7R with excellent results.
Now I am using the CV 21/1.8 lens as mentioned above.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password