Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

elevationphoto wrote:
wait for the 5dmkX to come out - I hear it will blow the D810 away.

Mar 23, 2017 at 06:40 AM
Vees_3188

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this.

Ziffl3 wrote:
Glad you are still with us.....

I don't think it is a personal attack on you.... but more to get an idea of your experience or your skill level with gear.
Many shooters use the gear as a crutch. Not saying this is you ..... just a general observation.

The other thought is we, as shooters get GAS.
Meaning: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We see something cool - techie new toy and convince ourselves it will makes us the best photographer ever!
We do this without really asking the question from a business perspective.

Focusing issues can be gear related, user related or a combination of
...Show more

Mar 23, 2017 at 06:42 AM
Vees_3188

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Thank you! I'll be starting real state photography soon. Besides that, weddings and newborns are the most I do.

ayjayy wrote:
I switched from Canon to Nikon about 3 years ago, and I've owned all the cameras mentioned in this thread at 1 point. The D810 is my favorite by a pretty wide margin.

The D750 is good, but build quality and a few minor issues keep it from being great.

For D810 vs 5dMk3, it depends on how you shoot and how often you push shadows. There is a large difference in how they handle shadow recovery.

Mar 23, 2017 at 06:45 AM
Vees_3188

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Thank you.

My phone keeps autocorrecting the word unhappy. I'm sorry I still posted as "happy".

LeeSimms wrote:
Vees_3188, I think mjgphotoz's response is perfect.

The 6D's AF system is clearly from another era, and it was IMO unwise for Canon to include in that camera as it was behind the times. It was an odd configuration — one super center point (cross point, -3ev) with 8 outer points that were professionally worthless. When it came out, some joked and called it a 'cyclops'. Fine for personal use or fair weather portraits, but for low light wedding receptions it was not competitive with so many other cameras of its time.

We're all just voices on the internet, but renting/borrowing a
...Show more

Mar 23, 2017 at 06:48 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

My view is, as a business, I have to take a business view on these kinds of decisions.

So, will a switch, update, lens upgrade etc.. somehow make me more money? If the answer is yes, it's a good decision!

Mar 24, 2017 at 08:45 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

The D810 is overkill for wedding photography where even a 12MP camera has been fine for 99% of my images. I switched to Canon in 2004 to get the much better high ISO performance at that time. In 2008 I switched 100% back to Nikon to get the pro full frame DSLR the D3 and the new Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 zoom lens and go back to the more accurate (in terms of exposure consistency) Nikon speedlights.

Today I would advise someone with no investment to consider Canon for wedding photography with its broader range of lenses and full frame cameras and it better RF capable flash. Video is an uphill battle with Nikon cameras and there is a lot more available for Canon from Canon and third party companies in the way of cages, and mounts and stabilizers and even Cine lenses.

Nikon currently has implemented its improved autofocus system in only its D500 and D5 cameras. By this time next year it should be in the D750 replacement and this would make such a camera worth considering.

While I agree that one should treat the change as a business decision I know that I switched to Canon to reduce time in post processing and to provide a better product for my clients and I did the same in 2008 though also to reduce the time without a lens or camera that was at Canon for warranty repairs.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:22 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

elkhornsun wrote:
The D810 is overkill for wedding photography where even a 12MP camera has been fine for 99% of my images. I switched to Canon in 2004 to get the much better high ISO performance at that time. In 2008 I switched 100% back to Nikon to get the pro full frame DSLR the D3 and the new Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 zoom lens and go back to the more accurate (in terms of exposure consistency) Nikon speedlights.

Today I would advise someone with no investment to consider Canon for wedding photography with its broader range of lenses and full frame cameras and
...Show more

The massive DR (an malleability of the files) is by far the biggest plus point for the D800 series. How useful/nice this is cannot be overstated imo.

You do get most of the way there with the D750 along with smaller files of course...

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

elkhornsun wrote:
The D810 is overkill for wedding photography where even a 12MP camera has been fine for 99% of my images.

Big time overkill, I agree.

I shot with dual D3s bodies for the longest time until I decided to dump half of my lenses, including my zooms.
Now that I'm shooting primes, zooming with my feet will not always be an option therefore the MP comes into play for cropping purposes.

It really depends, if you don't crop much, 12mp is all you'll ever need. It will speed up your post process flow big time and I'm sure you already know that.

Mar 26, 2017 at 05:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Elijah wrote:
Big time overkill, I agree.

I shot with dual D3s bodies for the longest time until I decided to dump half of my lenses, including my zooms.
Now that I'm shooting primes, zooming with my feet will not always be an option therefore the MP comes into play for cropping purposes.

It really depends, if you don't crop much, 12mp is all you'll ever need. It will speed up your post process flow big time and I'm sure you already know that.

I agree. 12mp is enough for some and not for others for that very reason. I crop up to 20% maybe, reducing my 5d4 files down to more like 20-25mp.

Mar 26, 2017 at 05:33 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Yeah — I crop 135L images during distance coverage often. Usually just trimming the edges as if you had a zoom. Still 20+ mp image size.

Videographers that shoot in 4k, then distribute in HD do it for the same reason — the ability to crop.

When you read threads like this, it's a reminder that ALL wedding photographers compromise but sometimes we get a little proud & obtuse about our own compromises. We look at how someone else compromises and think "that's crazy" or think it's unprofessional. The same shooter who things 12mp capture if fine for weddings has some other thing they won't compromise on — and might look down on someone who does.

Do this long enough and you'll look back at some of your firmly-held beliefs/standards/priorities and you'll think, "oh that was when I was inexperienced".

I think it's all a journey. Change & evolution keeps you fresh. Be careful before you speak down to someone else compromises. The more mature you in a few years might be doing the exact same thing.

PS — I've almost completely got ultra-wide out of my system. 16-35 gets fewer than 100 clicks on any given day — only 50 or so keepers. I'm trying to get to a 24 / 50 / 135 prime set-up with a 100(ish) alternate for interior portraits/details.

Mar 26, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

LeeSimms wrote:
When you read threads like this, it's a reminder that ALL wedding photographers compromise but sometimes we get a little proud & obtuse about our own compromises. We look at how someone else compromises and think "that's crazy" or think it's unprofessional.

Ain't this the truth. I got accused of exactly this ('unprofessional') here for not owning/hauling a dedicated macro lens just for ring shots which as we all know rarely make it past a 8" wide shot in the album!

Mar 26, 2017 at 07:32 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

One of my associates uses tubes on a 50art. That lens does tubes really well.

Mar 26, 2017 at 09:12 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

It depends what kind of shooter are you. If you are a Canon shooter, Nikon's gear won't make you happy

If you were happy with 6d- you will be more than happy with 5dmkIII.

I switched last year from 5dmkII and 6d to Nikon DF. I have to say it didn't make me happy (well, maybe at first). Lots of reasons- to point just a few- 35L and the way lightroom works with Nikon files. I bought 1dmkIV last week and I'll try to shoot both systems for a while and then decide which stays.

Sometimes you have to try, but remember- grass is always greener... Good luck.

Mar 27, 2017 at 08:37 AM
tigerbengal
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

@Vees_3188..... I fully respect all the opinions from great people in this forum, all of them are trying to help, I think BOTH systems are great, Nikon and Canon are awesome cameras, it is like comparing BMW and Mercedes, which one would you like? many things to consider, which one was your first car? the point is in the details...you are using a canon 6d, you like canon, I like canon color science, my first dslr was canon 60d, I had panasonic gh2, gh3, gh4, nikon d7200, sony a7s, olympus cameras.....I came back to canon 6d , and now canon 5d mark III.
I didn't like nikon menus ...and not because they are bad....it is because Canon was my first love .
I don't want to sound like a fanboy because I am not, again both systems are great.
The logical pattern in your case will be rent or ask a friend who can lend you a canon 5d mark III and try it before you move to Nikon. I had the 6d which is an entry level full frame. Canon 5d mark III feels better and has more professional features on it, you can buy a used one here in FM....the last thing to consider and that is why I came back to Canon, I like to do videos from time to time and MAGIC LANTERN RAW is AWESOME!!!!...only available on Canon.
Good luck with your decision!!!

Mar 28, 2017 at 07:23 AM
echelonphoto
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I have tried the canon-nikon switch twice and always came back. In both cases it was from a 5dmk3 to d750. I liked the weight of the 750. I shot both systems simultaneously for a few months (duplicate lenses and all). The Nikon was good, but I found the skin rendering of the canon much more pleasing and easy to acheive in post. I also found that the Nikon tended to blow specular highlights (shiny faces) rather easily, whereas the canon just made everyone look better, smoother. Now I know you can probably equalize things from raw (which I really did work on), but my canon jpegs are SOO good...I rarely need the raw file, even though I always shoot jpeg+raw. I recently have been using the Canon 6d because it is SO much lighter and I find that its image quality is superb and the af is more than adequate for most wedding situations. Just got a 5dmk4....great af for action, but i still like the IQ of the 6d better and it has great high iso properties.

Apr 14, 2017 at 03:54 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password