Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

ZachOly wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous statements made on this forum. And that's saying a lot.

Why is it ridiculous that different sensors offer different image quality? Seems like Doug would be the guy to know, as much editing work as he does.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong ...

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/16/cameras-captured-winning-shots-world-press-photo-2017/

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

BSPhotog wrote:
Why is it ridiculous that different sensors offer different image quality? Seems like Doug would be the guy to know, as much editing work as he does.

It's (the original statement) completely ridiculous, as it implies that there is an appreciable difference in the end product (i.e., a Wedding album and/or framed prints). It's also based on a false assumption, which is that the only measure of image quality is how ISO-invariant a sensor is at low ISO. A great deal of wedding shooting involves handheld work at high ISOs, where the Canon sensor "smokes" the Nikon sensor. (Note: I used scare quotes in that statement for a reason.)

For a competent photographer, there will be no appreciable difference in wedding results between the Nikon and Canon systems. The exception would be some kind of really dark venue requiring ISOs above 3200, where the Canon might provide better prints, but even there it would be subtle.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:09 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

LeeSimms wrote:
50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong ...

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/16/cameras-captured-winning-shots-world-press-photo-2017/

---------------------------------------------

moondigger wrote:
It's (the original statement) completely ridiculous, as it implies that there is an appreciable difference in the end product (i.e., a Wedding album and/or framed prints). It's also based on a false assumption, which is that the only measure of image quality is how ISO-invariant a sensor is at low ISO. A great deal of wedding shooting involves handheld work at high ISOs, where the Canon sensor "smokes" the Nikon sensor. (Note: I used scare quotes in that statement for a reason.)

For a competent photographer, there will be no appreciable difference in wedding results between the Nikon and Canon systems. The exception would be some kind of really dark venue requiring ISOs above 3200, where the Canon might provide better prints, but even there it would be subtle.
...Show more

There is no one measure to find the "best" camera or even sensor. I think that Doug's opinion should be taken for what it is, though. IIRC he is shooting with D700/D3 or something like that @ 12MP and he's happy with his results, so clearly he isn't interested in any kind of cutting edge tech pissing match. More importantly, though, is that from the perspective of a person editing the files, he appreciates the Sony/Nikon sensors above Canon. This isn't refuted by or even contrary to the press statistics you shared, just a different measure.

It is funny how quickly these threads devolve away from the OP's question, though.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:20 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I don't think my statements are all that ridiculous. Again this is why I don't get into this stuff much.
But like I said after seeing 10s of thousands of files from just about every camera in just about every lighting situation editing I prefer Nikon files. Excuse my "smokes" comment...chalk it up to being over dramatic.
Again a competent photographer will be fine with anything to a point.
As a shooter and editor I prefer Nikon/Sony files all day long.

As long as we are making our customers happy it doesn't really matter what we shoot with. I use cameras that are nearly 10 years old. Who cares.
Use what makes you happy and makes customers happy and don't sweat the small stuff in life.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

BSPhotog wrote:

1) it is fun giving Doug crap.
2) He is not the only only editing other shooters work.... I just don't advertise my services.
3) its fun giving Doug crap
4) Happy Tuesday!!!

-Mark

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:54 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Ziffl3 wrote:
1) it is fun giving Doug crap.
2) He is not the only only editing other shooters work.... I just don't advertise my services.
3) its fun giving Doug crap
4) Happy Tuesday!!!

-Mark

My kid actually craps on me hahaha

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:17 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

LeeSimms wrote:
Maybe a basic question. What are trying to get away from with the 6D? AF?

mb126 wrote:
Why are you replacing the 6D? While the 5D4 is a worthy upgrade in many respects, the 6D is actually a slightly better wedding camera than the 5D3 for many styles of shooting (dual slots not withstanding).

Just to steer this thread back on course, @Vees_3188 , what exactly are you looking to improve over the 6D?

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:20 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Do you really think she wants to talk to a bunch of camera nerds after all that?

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:31 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I would like to see a bunch of Nikon/ canon images put up from any of their camera's and see if anyone could pick which files came from what brand let alone what model camera and do it with anything remotely like consistency rather than blind dumb luck.

If that is not possible, then I would say it's all a moot point.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:56 PM
Vees_3188

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Yes, maybe I forgot to mention I grew increasingly happy with the 6D over the years. I had to replace the camera body twice because the Card Slot / Car Reader would fail and the camera would freeze. It once did so during an event.

Then, switched to the Sigma Art lenses, and, paired with the 6D, they slowed me down quieter a bit. Both combined, I had a lot, a LOT, of focus issues, even after focus calibration.

That's why I've decided to start all over and give Nikon a chance.

glort wrote:
Same questions I always ask on this sort of thing.

What problems are your customers complaining about with your current system that the change would fix?

What problems are you having with your current gear the other gear would solve?

How is the other gear going to bring you more clients, have your current clients spend more money or have them buy from you more frequently?

Will the other gear produce something that the clients are asking for you can't currently provide?

Is there ANY other tangible benefit to your business financially that the change would help with?

Everything you are saying here
...Show more

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:50 AM
Vees_3188

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Thank you! You can read my last reply.

I grew increasingly happy with my 6D after 3 years.

I've shot many weddings, so, I certainly didn't appreciate that a simple question turned into a user harassing me about my photographic capabilities.

BSPhotog wrote:

Just to steer this thread back on course, @Vees_3188@ , what exactly are you looking to improve over the 6D?

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:52 AM
Vees_3188

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I'd appreciate if you stopped the condescending talk. I really don't like how you're questioning me.

Maybe you had a bad day, but heh, don't take it out on me.

I kindly ask that you don't reply to this thread anymore.

On a side Note: I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Art with emphasis on Photography in 2012.

dmacmillan wrote:
What do I think? You could replace the Canon kit you listed with the Nikon kit you listed and not see an appreciable difference in the quality of your images.

I get the feeling you are unhappy with the quality of your images. Please share with us if it is an operational problem (missed focus, etc.) or technical (soft focus, etc.).

It sounds like you don't have enough experience with photography in general and equipment in particular to properly filter what you read online. The 5D III is not the latest generation, but it was an extremely capable camera (and
...Show more

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:01 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188 wrote:
Thank you! You can read my last reply.

I grew increasingly happy with my 6D after 3 years.

I've shot many weddings, so, I certainly didn't appreciate that a simple question turned into a user harassing me about my photographic capabilities.

Glad you are still with us.....

I don't think it is a personal attack on you.... but more to get an idea of your experience or your skill level with gear.
Many shooters use the gear as a crutch. Not saying this is you ..... just a general observation.

The other thought is we, as shooters get GAS.
Meaning: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We see something cool - techie new toy and convince ourselves it will makes us the best photographer ever!
We do this without really asking the question from a business perspective.

Focusing issues can be gear related, user related or a combination of both. So understanding of the situation is very helpful.

Myself, while I like what sigma is doing.... I currently only have the Sigma 20mm f1.4.
It has been a good lens.
For me, I don't want to mess around with focus issue plus I like how canon lenses render photographs.
So I shoot 95% on canon glass. This is just me.

I know many shooters rocking Canon bodies with sigma lenses, Nikon bodies with Nikon lenses.... plus Canon/nikon/sony/fuji rocking native lenses too.

It all comes down to you and how you work.
Bottom line, any modern DSLR since the 5DmkII will work for weddings. There are plenty of camera before this that will work you just need to know the limitation and the techniques needed to accomplish a particular shot.

The 5Dmkiii is a great camera for weddings. So is the D750 from Nikon.....
I say rent and try. If you have particular question on setup ... let us know.

For example....
On AF spot size for the 5DmkIII. The small spot size is great to help pinpoint exactly where the shooter wants the camera to focus on, especially during bridal portrait or couple shots.
But as it gets darker into the evening/night, you have to adjust the size of the spot.
I will start at spot AF during the day and move to expanded AF spot at night. Otherwise the AF will struggle to lock-on due to lower light level.

hope this helps.....

Throw some picture up and share when you get a chance.....

-Mark

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:21 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I switched from Canon to Nikon about 3 years ago, and I've owned all the cameras mentioned in this thread at 1 point. The D810 is my favorite by a pretty wide margin.

The D750 is good, but build quality and a few minor issues keep it from being great.

For D810 vs 5dMk3, it depends on how you shoot and how often you push shadows. There is a large difference in how they handle shadow recovery.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:31 AM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188,
There are many things to consider when switching systems. Both Nikon and Canon have some great bodies and lens, but each system has differences. Some of those differences may or may not matter to you. I switched from Canon to Nikon in 2015. At the time, I was shooting two 5DMKIIIs in studio and for events. (NOTE: I am a studio, not wedding photographer). My personal reasons for switching were primarily based on the low light, autofocus results I was seeing and the failure of my 7D to hold focus on anything without a clearly contrasting area of focus. I was tired of what I called the "candy apple" colors from Canon and loved files I was seeing from the D750. This is just my personal view. When the 5D MK IV was released, it became clear that Canon was not going to address the issues that I considered of importance. I saw the financial opportunity and made the switch.

Results. I am happy I switched, you may not be. I am currently using the D750 and D810, as well as a Df for my personal camera.There are clear differences in menus, some in buttons, and just general ergonomics you may or may not like. 20 plus years of Canon bodies to Nikon was quite a switch. Muscle memory can be a b***h. You will find processing the raw files different. This may or may not be an issue, but you will have to adjust. There can be differences in how Canon and Nikon Corps. respond to camera issues, quality control and grey market items. Be aware of that. Do your homework regarding what will work for you specifically.

Best course of action I can suggest, is rent/borrow a few bodies and lens and test them. Know the differences and know if what you are getting in the exchange is worth what you are giving up or getting both financially and from a end product standpoint. Then and only then will you know if switching is right for you specifically.

Good luck.
mjgphotoz

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:40 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188 wrote:
I'd appreciate if you stopped the condescending talk. On a side Note: I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Art with emphasis on Photography in 2012.

My apologies. I'll discontinue participation. I just dropped in to apologize.

Also, I see you're from San Bernardino. I received by B.F.A. from Art Center College of Design when it was in Los Angeles, before it moved to Pasadena.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:42 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188, I think mjgphotoz's response is perfect.

The 6D's AF system is clearly from another era, and it was IMO unwise for Canon to include in that camera as it was behind the times. It was an odd configuration — one super center point (cross point, -3ev) with 8 outer points that were professionally worthless. When it came out, some joked and called it a 'cyclops'. Fine for personal use or fair weather portraits, but for low light wedding receptions it was not competitive with so many other cameras of its time.

We're all just voices on the internet, but renting/borrowing a 810 (or any new dramatically different camera) before you commit is wise. You'd regret making the leap, then discovering there's an ergonomic issue with the camera you don't care for — just when Canon releases a 6DmkII which is lightweight and adequately spec'd.

BTW — your posts are a little confusing. Twice you wrote that you were 'increasingly happy' with the 6D which would indicate you liked it MORE over time. I don't think that was what you meant to say but you typed it twice which might add to confusion on future thread posts.

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:37 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188 wrote:
Yes, maybe I forgot to mention I grew increasingly happy with the 6D over the years. I had to replace the camera body twice because the Card Slot / Car Reader would fail and the camera would freeze. It once did so during an event.

Then, switched to the Sigma Art lenses, and, paired with the 6D, they slowed me down quieter a bit. Both combined, I had a lot, a LOT, of focus issues, even after focus calibration.

That's why I've decided to start all over and give Nikon a chance.

Thanks, that certainly gives some insight. For the sake of simplicity, it might be good to see if you can borrow/rent a 5d Mk III just to see if you have any of the same focusing issues that you've been experiencing. Since you're already invested in Canon glass and you know your way around the Canon controls, it would be the easier solution. Prices have dropped significantly on this camera and it is still a very, very capable tool.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:36 AM
elevationphoto
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

wait for the 5dmkX to come out - I hear it will blow the D810 away.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:22 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.