Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Has anyone switched from a 5D Mark III to a Nikon D810? I am replacing my 6D, I only have 3 Canon lenses. I'm thinking about skipping the 5D Mark III and switching to a Nikon D810. I have read .Any reviews that name is a much better camera. I cannot afford a 5D Mark IV. Thanks. I am a wedding photographer.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:20 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Maybe try asking the Nikon forum? And try a search. The topic comes up every month and usually doesn't end well.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:32 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Nothing wrong with switching cameras .... just make sure the reason is sound.

Have you shoot with the nikon? If not, I would rent one first just to make sure this is what you want to do.

Why switch to the 810? most nikon shooters love the 750.

a camera does not go bad just because there is a newer model.
When the 750 replacement comes out.... does not mean the 750 will be a crappy camera.

Shot a wedding with a 5DIV & 5DIII combo yesterday. Whats wrong with the 5DIII?

-Mark

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:35 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Before you jump from one system to another, think about where you want to get to from an equipment standpoint. Price out a complete set of lenses you'll need for wedding photography. Include flashes, if you use them. A casual check shows that Nikon lenses can run more than the Canon counterpart.

Also, do you have a backup camera? If not, you really need one and you could keep the 6d as your second body.

BTW, which 3 lenses do you have?

Mar 20, 2017 at 08:12 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

People who jump from Canon to Nikon and vice-versa never seem to be happy. You even see a great deal of them jumping back when it turns out that the magic missing ingredient(s) aren't really there.

I think it's because both systems are quite similar. There are small differences between them but those small differences are magnified when you're peering over the fence.

The only photographers that I see that are content or feeling a genuine boost in creativity with their switch are the ones who are dropping their hefty gear for lightweight rangefinder/mirrorless systems.

My advice would be shoot with what you already have. Practice as much as you can. It's the only way to get better. Switching systems at this point would be rather costly and after your initial new gear buzz disappears, you'll be back to square one. Unless you're rich. If you're rich, do what you like.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I wouldn't do anything until the 6DmkII comes out. The smart money is on a 80D-level AF (good enough for wedding work), dual slots and a articulated screen.

That said, Nikkor's got the awesome 1.8 primes and the new insanely great 105E. But I would argue Canon's 24-70, and 16-35 are better (than Nikkor counterparts) ... plus Canon's got the most awesome radio flash system. With Nikon, you're in Godox-land for better or worse.

Have you looked at Sony? They now have a well-spec'd radio flash system and a quickly growing lens selection.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Vees_3188

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I was very excited to be moving up from a 6D to a 5D Mark III, then, I was very dissapointed to read about all the people who said the D810 outperformed by a lot.

So far, I have not found any article that says the 5D is superior than the Mk III.

I'm very confused. A lot of online review call the Mk. III outdated.

I have a Sigma Art 50mm, a Sigma 85mm, and a Canon 35mm For/2. It's nothing too fancy (not that much money tied up).

I want to replace the lenses with a Sigma Art 50mm for Nikon, a Tokina 16-28mm for Nikon, the Sigma 105 mm macro, and the Nikon 85mm. What do you think?

Ziffl3 wrote:
Nothing wrong with switching cameras .... just make sure the reason is sound.

Have you shoot with the nikon? If not, I would rent one first just to make sure this is what you want to do.

Why switch to the 810? most nikon shooters love the 750.

a camera does not go bad just because there is a newer model.
When the 750 replacement comes out.... does not mean the 750 will be a crappy camera.

Shot a wedding with a 5DIV & 5DIII combo yesterday. Whats wrong with the 5DIII?

-Mark

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:14 PM
Vees_3188

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I'm definitely not rich. LoL. I work a LOT for my gear. That's why it's a tough choice.

BKphotography wrote:
People who jump from Canon to Nikon and vice-versa never seem to be happy. You even see a great deal of them jumping back when it turns out that the magic missing ingredient(s) aren't really there.

I think it's because both systems are quite similar. There are small differences between them but those small differences are magnified when you're peering over the fence.

The only photographers that I see that are content or feeling a genuine boost in creativity with their switch are the ones who are dropping their hefty gear for lightweight rangefinder/mirrorless systems.

My advice would be shoot with
...Show more

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

While the 5DmkIII might be outdated to some, this is something to take into consideration ....

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/16/cameras-captured-winning-shots-world-press-photo-2017/

So, it's not all bad.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

What 3 Canon lenses do you have?

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

If you're reasons for switching are based on reading articles that compare the two, I'd probably drop it for now. 5D mk III is getting a little older, but still a solid tool for the job. If there isn't anything about it that is standing in the way of making great photos (in your actual experience, not someone else's opinion), then it makes sense to just keep using it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:49 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Maybe a basic question. What are trying to get away from with the 6D? AF?

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:29 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Why are you replacing the 6D? While the 5D4 is a worthy upgrade in many respects, the 6D is actually a slightly better wedding camera than the 5D3 for many styles of shooting (dual slots not withstanding).

Mar 21, 2017 at 04:29 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Same questions I always ask on this sort of thing.

What problems are your customers complaining about with your current system that the change would fix?

What problems are you having with your current gear the other gear would solve?

How is the other gear going to bring you more clients, have your current clients spend more money or have them buy from you more frequently?

Will the other gear produce something that the clients are asking for you can't currently provide?

Is there ANY other tangible benefit to your business financially that the change would help with?

Everything you are saying here seems to be based on what others are saying and their feelings. I see nothing where you say YOU are disappointment or have a problem or your customers are unsatisfied with the images your current gear is producing.

I just updated from a 7D to a 7dII and a 6D . Right up till Christmas that 7 YO camera was shooting everything from sports to weddings to portraits and the only feedback I got from my clients was how much they liked the pics.
Only reason I updated was because the other camera's were getting old and had done loads of work so it was a reliability factor.

there was NOTHING wrong with the images and no real reason from a business POV to spend money ion a new cam other than it was getting real long in the tooth and I didn't want it to let me down. If they were still available, I would have bought the same body again. There was no problems with it no matter how much other might want to champion newer gear. The business and work I do hasn't changed so the equipment has not become less effective in any way.

If you think that you need to upgrade gear all the time because a lot of tryhards on forums crap on about self centered rubbish as a crutch for their own insecurities, you should think again and not be so easily taken in.

Sometimes I shoot on a 600D/ Rebel and my clients are still more than happy and don't give a dame what tool I use, as long as I produce the results and I do every single time because I rely on my skill and knowledge, not have the need for the gear to be a crutch.

No Doubt changing gear will cost you money so you should work out what the benifits of that new gear are and how they are going to increase your bottom line as well as what the return on investment time is going to be.

If there is none, then you are not looking at it as a professional business person but rather an amateur spending money on their hobby.

Mar 21, 2017 at 04:43 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

Vees_3188 wrote:
I was very excited to be moving up from a 6D to a 5D Mark III, then, I was very dissapointed to read about all the people who said the D810 outperformed by a lot.

So far, I have not found any article that says the 5D is superior than the Mk III.

I'm very confused. A lot of online review call the Mk. III outdated.

I want to replace the lenses with a Sigma Art 50mm for Nikon, a Tokina 16-28mm for Nikon, the Sigma 105 mm macro, and the Nikon 85mm. What do you think?

What do I think? You could replace the Canon kit you listed with the Nikon kit you listed and not see an appreciable difference in the quality of your images.

I get the feeling you are unhappy with the quality of your images. Please share with us if it is an operational problem (missed focus, etc.) or technical (soft focus, etc.).

It sounds like you don't have enough experience with photography in general and equipment in particular to properly filter what you read online. The 5D III is not the latest generation, but it was an extremely capable camera (and a big improvement over the 5D II) when it was introduced. They have even been used to create footage for major motion pictures (Mad Max) and national television commercials (BMW).

You didn't answer my question about backup equipment. You need at least one backup body. When I shot weddings in the film days, I had at least four medium format bodies at every wedding. I have had cameras fail in the middle of a wedding. I just grabbed a backup camera and kept on shooting.

You seem to have a problem that you're trying to solve, but I'm not convinced you are after the right solution. Please tell us what you are unhappy with.

How long have you been involved in photography? How long have you been seeking customers? How many weddings have you photographed for paying customers?

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:21 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

GAS !

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:22 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

I normally don't get into these discussions anymore but the D810 will smoke any Canon in terms of image quality IMO.
The huge MP sensor is overkill for weddings (we still use 12mp cameras with no issue).
I see 10s of thousands of files from just about every camera out there and Nikon sensors and Sony sensors perform the best.
The new 5d4 is better but still not equal to Nikon's offerings IMO.

The Nikon 1.8G lenses are also bomber and cost next to nothing. I use a 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and both are stellar.

A good photographer can make great images with any camera quite frankly. If you do get a 5d3 you just need to know how to work around its limitations etc.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

hardlyboring wrote:
I normally don't get into these discussions anymore but the D810 will smoke any Canon in terms of image quality IMO.
The huge MP sensor is overkill for weddings (we still use 12mp cameras with no issue).
I see 10s of thousands of files from just about every camera out there and Nikon sensors and Sony sensors perform the best.
The new 5d4 is better but still not equal to Nikon's offerings IMO.

The Nikon 1.8G lenses are also bomber and cost next to nothing. I use a 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and both are stellar.

A good photographer
...Show more

Dougie .... be nice.

The nikon camera have a better sensor.... but everything starts evening out when going up in ISO.
The 5DIV is pretty darn close where it counts.... for the deliverable to the client... you can not tell.

You should also mention seeing shooters being more lack with there exposure believing everything is correctable in post.

When all said and done.... the nikon/sony sensor will allow maybe a handful of shots to be either recovered in post or only requiring 1 shot as appose to 2 and combine in post.
This is for an all day wedding.

Use the tool you feel comfortable with. It is you creating the magic... the camera is just a tool.

-Mark

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:23 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

> you just need to know how to work around its limitations

In my utopia there's a lightweight and silent camera with unbelievable battery stamina, an EVF that looks like real life, the option for giant files when you want or tiny files for most of the day, lightweight zooms and primes that are sharp wide open with no purple fringe, and a killer first party radio flash system, all wrapped up in the womb of wonderful professional support.

Since no camera (or system) offers all that, you have to pick your limitations. Each camera brings pain — what's your threshold?

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:37 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SWITCH from Canon 5D Mark III to Nikon D810?

hardlyboring wrote:

This is one of the most ridiculous statements made on this forum. And that's saying a lot.

Mar 21, 2017 at 04:37 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password