Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy...

plnelson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

On my recent Antarctica trip I had some equipment failures - one of them was that the automatic diaphragm on my Nikkor 35mm f/2 AF-D broke. When I got home I got a quote on fixing it but it was $125-200 and I can buy a full replacement for something close to that.

But I never really liked this lens that much because it has noticeable coma wide open. This is not something that the average photographer would notice but I bought it partly for shooting star fields from an equatorial mount where I want my stars to be perfect pinpoints, and I want to shoot wide open.

So my store told me they could sell me a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 for around that price, but when I read this review, (with images!) it looks horrible for my purpose.

http://www.lenstip.com/406.7-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_35_mm_f_1.8G_ED_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

So as long as I'm buying a new lens, if I take a money-is-no-object approach, but it has to fit a Nikon FX body, what's the optically best (minimum coma, minimum spherical aberration, minimal astigmatism) lens in a fast (f/2 or better), short (say 24-40mm) lens I can buy? I don't care if it's made by Nikon.

I currently own Nikon 20 f/1.8, and a 50 f/1.4, so it should fit between that range. Thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:07 PM
Surfnsun
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Sigma 35 ART f/1.4

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:12 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Surfnsun wrote:
Sigma 35 ART f/1.4

Thank you!! The tests confirm your conclusion . . .

http://www.lenstip.com/359.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

Mar 20, 2017 at 08:07 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Both the Sigma 24 and 35 are fantastic, and the 35 seems to split the middle of your uprights. Be sure to buy where you can test the lens for front or back focus first. Many people buy the dock for focus correction, but if you get one that is close, you can use the AFFT in your camera, if you have it.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

A year ago I spent months looking for the best lenses for a D800E. The best 35mm, without question, is the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART. On a D8xx body it is astonishing.

Kent in SD

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

The Siggy 35 is astonishing on ANY body.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:46 AM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

I've never used Sigma personally but hear good things.

I have the Nikon 35mm f/1.4g and it's one of, if not the best lens I own. It has that distinctly magical quality that is very difficult to describe.

Razor sharp and 3D like spring to mind.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

another vote for siggy 35 and if you don't mind manuel focus Zeiss 35 f2 or f 1.4 might be another choice

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Rokinon 24m f/1.4, the astro photographer's work horse with almost no coma in the corners at f/1.4.

There's also a Rokinon 20mm f/1.8 now. Manual focus for both, so it depends on the type of use you have in mind if these work for you.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Max Power
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

runamuck wrote:
The Siggy 35 is astonishing on ANY body.

Initial tests on my D100 suggest otherwise....!

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:18 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Sigma 35 Art is my favorite and most used lens (on D800e before, and on D810 now)

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:09 PM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

It really depends what balance of optical compromises you're looking for - the Sigma for sharpness and contrast at the expense of nervous bokeh and almost too much macro contrast for our sensors, or the Nikon with excellent overall rendering, superb bokeh & an excellent contrast range, but with less (but still photographically sufficient) sharpness.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1466709

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:11 PM
eke2k6
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Another vote for the Sigma 35mm Art. I've never once felt the need to shoot at anything narrower than f/1.4 for any reason other than getting a deeper depth of field. This lens is as optically future-proof as they come.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:35 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

dougfatheruk wrote:
I've never used Sigma personally but hear good things.

I have the Nikon 35mm f/1.4g and it's one of, if not the best lens I own. It has that distinctly magical quality that is very difficult to describe.

Razor sharp and 3D like spring to mind.

The Nikon's got bad coma. (not to be confused with bad karma) Since I want to shoot star-fields wide open with it, that a dealbreaker.

It occurs to me that the coma might contribute to the "3D" quality, since in most photos the subject is in the center, so that will be razor sharp, but the corners and edges, which in most photos is the background, will look slightly smeared, and that will make the subject appear to "pop" more by comparison.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:34 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

pburke wrote:
Rokinon 24m f/1.4, the astro photographer's work horse with almost no coma in the corners at f/1.4.

There's also a Rokinon 20mm f/1.8 now. Manual focus for both, so it depends on the type of use you have in mind if these work for you.

I'll be using it for literally everything, so AF is a must. No coma is one requirement since occasionally it will be used to shoot star fields on an equatorial mount.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:41 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

Amazon reviews have substantial complaints regarding AF. Especially after a year of use?

Mar 23, 2017 at 01:51 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's the best optical quality short-wide lens I can buy for my Nikon?

I use mine on a Df, pretty much exclusively, and it's astonishing. Zero complaints here, and it's the sharpest lens I own.

Mar 23, 2017 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password