New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Acratech ball heads

Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Acratech ball heads

I use a GV2 with a Gitzo Ocean series tripod. I also have an RRS BH30 for a (now defunct) Gitzo 0-series tripod, and used to own the Acratech Ultimate Ball Head. GV2 is by far my favorite. I have it configured such that what would normally be the base of the ballhead supports the mounting plate, while the arm that would normally hold the mounting plate is screwed into the tripod itself. This gives me almost unlimited degrees of freedom.

The setup is comfortable for everything up to my D3x with a 105mm f/1.4 attached. Not sure how it would fare with much heavier setups.

Mar 21, 2017 at 06:32 PM
LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Acratech ball heads

You might want to look at FLM ball heads, in Europe at least they offer very good performance for a modest price. My FLM CB48F is better than my Markins M10 and much cheaper.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:18 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Acratech ball heads

FLM CB48F $250 as shown
this model is the screw base version. if one uses a AS type clamp your in a higher cost bracket
depending on the chosen clamp assy you can add upwards of $100+ to that.
overall pricing is within generally 10% in the grouping here in the US.

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:21 AM
hokiejokey
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Acratech ball heads

It looks like for the FLM 48F, the AS type clamp is $85. So brand new, $335, far less than a new RRS GH-55. It's also lighter, and claims to hold more weight (77 vs 50lb).

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Acratech ball heads

history tells us that RRS has always been rather conservative with their values. reality also tells us the pretty much anything over 30 real lbs is way more then enough. remember RRS tends to be the one to beat so on paper everyone does their best to claim it. i have one of the one of the original BH55 batch made. i think that puts it at being 13 years old about now. its been a prime tool to use and convinced me to continue with their other heads.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:27 PM
hokiejokey
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Acratech ball heads

sjms wrote:
history tells us that RRS has always been rather conservative with their values. reality also tells us the pretty much anything over 30 real lbs is way more then enough. remember RRS tends to be the one to beat so on paper everyone does their best to claim it. i have one of the one of the original BH55 batch made. i think that puts it at being 13 years old about now. its been a prime tool to use and convinced me to continue with their other heads.

Well, I figure if it holds stably half of what it claims, then we're good.

Mar 23, 2017 at 09:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Acratech ball heads

then, for you, that's your money well spent

Mar 23, 2017 at 09:35 AM
hokiejokey
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Acratech ball heads

sjms wrote:
then, for you, that's your money well spent

Well, it's a science experiment. If I don't like it I can always get rid of it. All the reviews I read say the FLM are very well made, solid pieces of German engineering.

I did opt for the older model, without the click stop panning or the tilt lock. I don't see those functions as being terrible useful, and why add the extra features which often come at a cost to the system. Simple and well built is the way to go.

Mar 23, 2017 at 09:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Acratech ball heads

I have seen their equipment in NYC and spent time "playing" with it. they are well manufactured. as to the "solid pieces of German engineering" I generally prefer a, whenever possible, more simplified well thought out approach. not a fan of overengineering. you may find that there is more then just a price difference between RRS and FLM.

hope its exactly what you want and need.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:35 AM
hokiejokey
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Acratech ball heads

sjms wrote:
I have seen their equipment in NYC and spent time "playing" with it. they are well manufactured. as to the "solid pieces of German engineering" I generally prefer a, whenever possible, more simplified well thought out approach. not a fan of overengineering. you may find that there is more then just a price difference between RRS and FLM.

hope its exactly what you want and need.

You are referring to the design of the tension system? I agree, it probably is over engineered. And I may never know exactly what I need. But I will play with it, and as long as there isn't a particular aspect of it that doesn't do what I need it to do, then it will probably be a keeper.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:48 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Acratech ball heads

I love mine.

http://i.imgur.com/mGGSdvRh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/k0nZHFkh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N1NrfqYh.jpg

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:52 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Acratech ball heads

rw11 wrote:
I'll summarize by saying that the Acratech is a special purpose ballhead - it is for gritty, salty areas

Which means the Acratech ballheads are for use outside.

Mar 24, 2017 at 07:27 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Acratech ball heads

^ No it means more than that. You can use a Markins ballhead outside but they advise you not to expose it to blowing sand or salt spray. Use an Acratech in those conditions and all you need to do is rinse it under a faucet afterwards.

Mar 24, 2017 at 08:05 PM
jharter
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Acratech ball heads

Re FLM: I only played with them at B&H. I found tham fairly rough compared to Arca, Acratech, RRS. To me FLM seemed less "German" than say Novoflex.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:30 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Acratech ball heads

I have the original. Bought at their location for cash, which got me a good deal. I still have it and use it. Banged it up once, sent it in and they replaced a knob and shipped it back ASAP, all for no charge!

E

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:49 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Acratech ball heads

I won't part with my Acratech gear! In fact, I am adding more to the 'collection'...just ordered an Acratech Long Lens Head for use on my monopod.

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mTgzNfk/0/X2/i-mTgzNfk-L.jpg

Apr 07, 2017 at 08:23 PM
jimfromtn

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Acratech ball heads

It's probably been mentioned before, but if you call them directly, they sometimes have "blemished " ballheads available at a discount...they still have the full 10 year warranty. Good luck!

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:48 PM
hokiejokey
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Acratech ball heads

This is OBE. I opted for a FLM ball head.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Bottom line, I decided the Wimberley Sidekick was a more reliable gimbal option than the Acratech solution, and I liked the design of the FLM.

Apr 12, 2017 at 08:45 AM
grahamclark

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Acratech ball heads

hokiejokey wrote:
Anybody have any experience with these ball heads? I don't see many offered used, so I assume people buy them and keep them.

The compelling draw to me, compared to a good RRS head, is that Acratech advertises they can be used as a gimbal by dropping the ball into the slot. I tried with my (considerably cheaper) ball head and the weight of my gear is too heavy to allow smooth motion in the vertical direction. I wonder how the Acratech head does it (watch the videos).

Also, how much difference is there between the GP and the older GV2?

I've used the GP for about 4 years now, and have traveled with all over the world with it.

When you compare the Acratech with RRS, Gitzo and Manfrotto, in my opinion it's the best ballhead on the market.

Graham

Apr 17, 2017 at 05:28 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Acratech ball heads

I just pulled the trigger on an Acratech GP-S with lever release, after selling my much loved Photoclam Pro Gold II to a fellow forum member. I did this mainly because I don't often use the panning clamp, but I like the option to functionally have one, which the GP-S provides. I was also able to shave off 60-80 grams, which isn't much nominally. However, I noticed a big difference in the way my tripod carried on a backpack with the Photoclam vs. the diminutive BH-25. Hopefully this provides a middle ground of carrying comfort, in a package with a bigger and smoother head.

The other contenders were the BH-30 (too small), BH-40 (too big), and P0. The P0 was particularly enticing, but is more expensive when you factor in the price for a decent lever release that's adjustable. I think I'll prefer the more traditional locking knob and separate friction control of the GP-S over the locking ring on the P0 as well.

Side note, B&H prices the screw clamp and lever clamp versions of the GP-S the same. The GP-SS, which to my knowledge shaves weight by using a more compact clamp, costs an extra $30 over the screw clamp.

Apr 21, 2017 at 08:51 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.