New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Travel Questions

packpe89
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Questions

I'm heading to Oxford and London (from USA) next week to attend a Physics conference where my son, who is presenting a poster. We will have 3 nights in Oxford and 2 in London. I have not flown commercially in 25 years, so I have several questions.

First, what equipment, I have a 5d classic and 7d. Lenses, I have 15-85, 17-40L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 28-80/2.8-4L, 70/200/2.8IS, Sigma 100-300/F4. I know we will be walking quite a bit, so thinking I'll travel fairly light, so no tele's. I guess option 1 I'm thinking about is the 5d, 17-40, 50 and 85 (or 28-80 in place of primes). Option 2 would be 7d with 15-85 and 50. I'll also be taking a flash (420ex or 550ex). I know the 15-85 is more versatile, but will I miss those extra couple mm the 5d/17-40 would give me? I plan to carry everything is a back pack case I have, with a top compartment for putting other things for walking around.

Second, I guess I'll want to carry-on my camera bag. Any considerations about that? We will be flying direct (Raleigh to London)

Third, Best plan? in Oxford, the first night there, we will be having a banquet at Christ Church (from Harry Potter fame) and will have a tour of Blenheim Castle one day as well. What else is a must there? In London, we will have Friday afternoon and all day Sat. for site-seeing. Staying fairly close to Big Ben. Do a tour bus and try to catch as much as possible or what?

Finally, anything else, planning to bus between Oxford and London or is train better. Cell phone (just get a few days of Verizon service or switch sim cards), get cash at an ATM when we get there?

Thanks for any advice

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Questions

I'd take little (or no) more than...

5D
50 f1.4
28-80
420ex

CF cards, batteries, charger and cloth.

Mar 20, 2017 at 08:03 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Questions

Yeah you will want to carry on unless you have one of those impenetrable cases with a bullet proof lock. I fly quite a bit with my gear. Just check the size, weight and amount of carry on allowances. Airlines sometimes have a metal rack at the check in to see that your carry on will fit in it. In not then it has to be checked in.

Some airlines have a weight restriction for overhead baggage. I used a think tank airport roller bag once on a domestic flight and someone recognized it as a camera bag and they weighed it. I wound putting lenses on my pockets and plastic bags.

That was the only time I ever had an issue like that. I have carried on a larger and mid sized backpack style bag many times with no problems both on domestic and international flights.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:29 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Questions

Take the train. Take a bus for sightseeing and for travel when there's no train.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:33 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Questions

7D with 15-85 would be a great choice as well as 5D with 17-40 and 85 1.8. One or the other. If it were me, I'd bring the 7D and 15-85 and never think twice.

I was in london for 5 days and got great photos with a canon S100 point and shoot and did not wish at any time that I had any of my big gear. You will be moving around in large crowds often, jumping on and off trains and on the move. Traveling light beats bringing a lot of photography options.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Questions

I personally would take the 5d and 17-40 plus one other lens to cover something longer. I struggled with this decision last year on a couple of trips. I traveled with my 50d and a 10-20 and 17-50 and only missed not have something longer a few times. If I had to do the same trips again I would take my SL1 and both the same lens but would add my 70-200 or purchase a 55-250 STM. My SL1 was purchased after my trips to Shanghai and Niagara Falls and I have a new appreciation for a smaller travel kit.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel Questions

First, congrats to your son! It's an honor to be invited to present.

The 7D with the 15-85 would give you good coverage, but that kit lens is awfully slow.

The 28-80 on the 5Dc would have less coverage but at f2.8-4 it's a little faster. It's also and old lens.

I'm leaning towards the 5Dc, 17-40, 50 and 85. Do a test run in Florence or Fayetteville with both kits. Include shooting in churches and parks and general downtown areas. If possible, shoot late afternoon/evening. Duplicate shots with the 7D and 5Dc. See what setup works best for you.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM
packpe89
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel Questions

Thanks dmacmillan, yes, a great honor, especially since he is a sophomore. Presenting some research he did while studying abroad last semester at Lund Sweden.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel Questions

Given the choices you list:

5D
17-40L
50/1.4
85/1.8

Though I'd be tempted to take a decent point & shoot instead. (i.e., G1 X or G1 X Mark II)

My reasoning here is that this isn't primarily a photography trip.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:13 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel Questions

packpe89 wrote:
Thanks dmacmillan, yes, a great honor, especially since he is a sophomore. Presenting some research he did while studying abroad last semester at Lund Sweden.

My wife, who is the director of a school of nursing, is working on a fact finding trip to London in October to set up a studies abroad course for her nursing students. I'm planning to go as her "official photographer ". The last time we were in London was 1966!

Our younger son presented papers in Paris and Berlin when he was working at Johns Hopkins. He was scheduled to present in Havana. He was to have left three days after 9/11. Needless to, that trip was cancelled.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel Questions

I would, given the gear at your disposal consider the 7d, 17-40/4.0 and 85/1.8. That would give you a wide to normal walkabout and a bright tele for the honors. Enjoy your trip!

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:15 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Travel Questions

congratz to your son

5D and 17-40 should work, I now travel small and light with a mirrorless and pancake style lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:59 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Travel Questions

Ditto Moondigger above.

Also like the idea of a tiny point and shoot just to have on hand, or perhaps your camera.

Were it me, I might trade the 85 for a small travel tripod. Are you travelling on a USA airlne? If so you don't have to worry much about the weight of your carry on - just make sure it does not exceed the standard dimensions for carry on. If you are traveling on an international airline then you should strictly adhere to their weight restrictions which can be limiting.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:10 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Travel Questions

[packpe89 wrote:
Best plan? in Oxford, ... What else is a must there?

I liked the Cotswolds (where "Midsomer Murders" is filmed). I visited it (and Oxford) by bicycle, so I can't offer advice about transport.

In London ... Do a tour bus and try to catch as much as possible or what?

Or just buy an Oyster card each and use the copious public transport and walk. You need some way to get from your hotel to the bus or mainline station anyway.

planning to bus between Oxford and London or is train better.

I'm going to contradict the advice of several posters here and say if you have a coach already organized, stick with that. The intercity (what Brits call "mainline") trains in the UK are mostly privatised, and it's a real dog's breakfast. In particular, prices for walk-up tickets are very high—if you want a good price, it's best to buy tickets from the train company's web site well ahead of time (I think you print the tickets out yourself like an airline or concert ticket). With only a few days left, you could be paying very high prices, often with no actual prospect of a seat.

(Disclosure: it's a very long time since I've been in the UK, but I do keep in touch and abreast.)

Mar 23, 2017 at 02:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.