Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Full 5T external drive?

chrisn901

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Full 5T external drive?

I've filled up my 3 external drives (5T) so need to add a new set of externals. Should I go with an 8T drive and copy the 5T onto the 8T leaving me with 3T and add the new drive to my LR folder and continue OR should I just start a fresh set of 5T drives? I'm just wondering how folks on here manage their externals and wondering if searching for an image in LR with 2 folders is a hassle...

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:43 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Full 5T external drive?

Which externals are you using? Enclosures? OEM like a WD My Book? Bare drives and docks?

Time for a DAS/NAS?

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:43 AM
chrisn901

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Full 5T external drive?

Thanks for the response Paul.
I currently have 3 Seagate 5T external HDs ( duplicate copies) I use for backing up all of my files from Lightroom. Since they are full I was wondering if I should start a new set of 3 externals OR chose a larger capacity external like 8T and copy the 5T over to the 8T( leaving me with 3T free) in order to keep the same folder/catalog in Lightroom. I do not keep any of my files on my desktop hard drive.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Full 5T external drive?

Both ways should work out fine. You can still keep the original 5TB and a new 5TB connected to the computer. LR will go get the files from wherever they are. It won't slow LR down. Only thing that would slow things down is if you don't have both connected and have to plug in the old one when you go back to work on those files.

If you buy a new set of 8TB then you could copy over and use the 3TBs, then start using the old 5TB set again (after wiping them).

But whatever you choose there won't be any performance hit on LR. I currently have 3 drives that LR is referencing (2008-2014, 2015-last year, Current year). They are all housed in one DAS TB enclosure but you don't have to have them like that, just have them plugged in via USB.

I would just look at price per TB of buying a set of 5TB vs 8TB. If you buy the 8s then you have 13TB to work with...should last a long time. If you buy new 5s you have 10TB to work with which will also last a long time.

A quick look on Amazon shows Seagate External BackupPlus 8TB at $25 per TB and 5TB for $24 per TB so very equal.

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chrisn901

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Full 5T external drive?

Thanks Arbitrage. I was told that if I used 2 externals then when I searched my metadata for images the search would only cover the folder( external) that is being used. I guess that's all I'm concerned about if that's true. It's not really a huge issue.

I'll research the DAS TB and see what that's all about.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Full 5T external drive?

Be careful with the Seagate Backup USB drives. Some are or were shingled drives with woeful write performance. I made the mistake of buying a couple of the 5TB awful drives and then the USB Backup 8TB shingle drive.

EBH

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Full 5T external drive?

chrisn901 wrote:
Thanks Arbitrage. I was told that if I used 2 externals then when I searched my metadata for images the search would only cover the folder( external) that is being used. I guess that's all I'm concerned about if that's true. It's not really a huge issue.

I'll research the DAS TB and see what that's all about.

DAS TB as I put it is just acronym for Direct Attached Storage and Thunderbolt. I'm using the ThunderBay and ThunderBay mini from OWC. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/?_ga=1.259266954.1439690292.1484009644 I'm currently using four 5TB drives in two mirrored pairs in the main ThunderBay. One pair has the 2008-2014 volume. The other pair has the 2015-Last Year volume and the Current Year volume. The Thunderbay mini has four 2TB drives running in RAID 5 that stores a clone of those three volumes. Those four 2TB drives were "ripped" out of Seagate Backup plus portable external drives I had. I have regular old Seagate Backup Plus Portable drives off site as another clone.

I will test my system later to see how the search of metadata reacts with my 2 drives attached.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password