New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Please submit a SPECIAL "trick", a "hack", a "workaround", "a shortcut", or a "good practice" YOU HAVE BEEN USING in the operation or maintenance of your Canon gears. Ergonomics "tricks" also qualify.

The "tricks" judged to be the best of all those entered in the Contest will get special awards.

THE CONTEST RULES:

(1) The tricks which you have developed or perfected by yourself will get higher grades.
(2) If you've learned that trick from somewhere else, please give credit where credit is due.
(3) Either way, you must have sufficient experience in the use of the "trick" you are submitting as a Contest Entry.
(4) There is no limit in the number of tricks entered per contestant.

Play well, play fairly and good luck.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

.. and tell the world my secrets .. I charge $49.95 for my book on "How to Do It Photography"

Maybe the prize is reimbursement for lost sales ..

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Wouldn't this be like asking a magician how they preformed their tricks?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:02 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Turn your camera to M=Master mode.

Credit: Canon user manual

PS I may have mixed up what the M stands for but I'm pretty sure I am correct.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:07 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Jefferson, Mike and Geoff, it is with deep chagrin that I must advise you that your entries have been disqualified by the Judges.

Please stop being funny and start getting good.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 12:25 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:15 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

arbitrage wrote:

PS I may have mixed up what the M stands for but I'm pretty sure I am correct.

Geoff,

Would that mean those who shoot in "M" mode and toss goldfish and koi to the local herons (ahem, OP), are called "master baiters"?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:15 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Mitesh, I have known for some time that sooner or later you were going to start cross posting inadvertently on the two fora you spend your days and nights on: Fred Miranda and Famous Males forum.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:24 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

PetKal wrote:
Mitesh, I have known for some time that sooner or later you were going to start cross posting inadvertently on the two fora you spend your days and nights on: Fred Miranda and Famous Males forum.

There's a Canon-related reply that I would love to post, but I think Fred would disapprove, so I will exercise the utmost discipline here .

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:30 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

mitesh wrote:
There's a Canon-related reply that I would love to post, but I think Fred would disapprove, so I will exercise the utmost discipline here .

Good man. Now, boys, you've had your comic relief, so let us get to work now.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:35 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

For a stuck lens filter, find something rubberized(I've used my mouse pad), put the lens/filter face down on it, apply even pressure and twist. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to use more drastic measures.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

OK, let's see if this passes or DQ's: I sometimes need to photograph a high number of racers with fill-flash and a minimum 1/400 shutter speed. Using High Speed sync doesn't cut it as the power and recycling penalty is too high for the speedlite. My initial solution was an original 1D that could natively sync at 1/500 but I later discovered that if I use my EX speedlites off-camera with a manual trigger, I can natively sync at 1/3 higher shutter speed and have 100% frame coverage... if I push it to 2/3 faster, I can cover 90% of the frame which in daylight serves the purpose of placing the fill light on the subject. So this 'work-around' allows me to use much lower flash power which keeps the speedlite cool while keeping my shutter speeds at 1/400 or 1/500 (depending on the Canon camera model). I await the ruling of the judge

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Mike and Omar have got us rolling. Thank you.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

When I get the "wobbles" from hand-holding long glass ... I intentionally "fall back" to change the direction of momentum / movement from the X-Y axis to the Z axis.
Z-axis camera shake is less detectable than X or Y axis camera shake.

Note: I developed this technique long before the concept of IS was ever even considered.
Works well with manual glass for an added stop (maybe two), but not something I do with IS being as good as it is these days.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:50 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

to increase to a higher magnification a super telephoto lens while decrease minimum focal distance, and simultaneously increasing the maximum focal distance using an extension tube:

1. mount your 1.4x or 2x to the lens

2. then mount your extension tube to the televerter

3. then mount the combined set-up to the camera

you get the best of both worlds. the magnification of the teleconverter, plus the magnification of the tube, and the decrease in minimum FD. but, there are caveats. one takes a minimum hit in light loss and negligible hit in AF speed. oh, did i mention that the maximum FD increases far beyond just the bare tube ext. between camera and lens. for a 500mm lens + 1.4x multiplier + 12mm tube in that order, the maximum FD increases to >300 ft. and beyond depending on the mfd, brand of the TC. truly the best of both worlds MFD - MFD. does macro too.

awesome set-up for small birds or even big birds when pixel limited @ 18 MP for the 1DX. it does not work with the lens + tube + TC + camera the setup acts like a bare tube for maximum FD.

think i'm lying try it you'll like it, oh my bad that's what she said. lol.

disclaimer: to my knowledge no one else is utilizing this technique. the last time i tried to explain this methodology here on FM the comments that were expressed told me the respondents had no idea what the ____ i was talking about. lol

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:31 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Good to see some real mastery coming to light.

Here's some of my old "tricks". While waiting for some birds to show up in the marsh, I do the following prep work:

(1) Estimate which bird is most likely to show up, and at what distance, and adjust camera/lens settings accordingly.
(2) Prefocus the lens at the likely point of first contact.
(3) Adjust the exposure accordingly (for M shooters). For example, if an Egret is anticipated, meter the exposure on a seagull, or Paper birch bark, or anything else available which is close to white.
(4) Decide on the second likely bird that might show up, and determine the exposure for that one, relative to the white bird exposure. The exposure "distance" between those two bird types I measure in number of clicks of the shutter speed or aperture dial. Again, that obviously works only in M mode.
(5) By doing all of the above I can quickly and reasonably effectively respond to most sudden developments in my shooting theatre.
(6) Needless to say, the M exposure checking and adjustment should be done frequently as the ambient light changes.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

arbitrage wrote:

I'm out. Can't top that

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

Two items - neither one mine:

Dot Tune

Back Button Focus

Ron

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

This isn't really a trick, but is a camera feature that most never seem to use. The base image is directly out of the camera, with just a photo filter applied and a frame. People seem to scoff at the multiple exposure functions, but if you play with the different settings and use live view to frame your 2nd shot from a first, it can be useful. If you don't use live view for the 2nd exposure, then it is less useful a function.

Here is another tidbit. Use the setting sun where the angles are almost horizontal through large house windows or patio doors, to create some very creative effects using those light beams. Try some product shots if you are selling something, or other things using your imagination.

Use Christmas lights and defocus on them, then use a long shutter speed to create interesting background images you can superimpose other subjects onto.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

surfnron wrote:
Two items - neither one mine:

Dot Tune

Back Button Focus

Ron

Ron, good items. Is Arthur Morris also a recent convert to back button AF ?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM
Sy Sez
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FM Canon Contest: For CameraMasters and LensMasters

"Shoulder Saver" Modified Baby Stroller - Gear Cart.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password