New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

1 body vs 2(or more)?

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I used to rock dual 5D3s for events, for the convenience of not having to change lenses back and forth. My lone and rarely used backup was the 7D, which has been sitting in my case for a while now.

I sold off one 5D3 and upgraded to the 5D4. Also purchased the 1DX2 and gonna put it through a trial period to see how I like it.

I feel that the concept of using two bodies at once applies to the series of the camera, as opposed to the actual model number. For example, I consider the 5d3 and 5d4 so similar in form and function that it's not really using two different bodies. Now, if I was using a 5d and 1d at the same time, that's different because both handle differently.

I finished this post and forgot what the point was. Hopefully, you can figure that out for me lol

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

M. Best wrote:
Seems like the consensus is to have a second body, either for back up, which would be useful on trips just in case, or just to have an extra camera in case something pops up.

I would say it comes down to 3 different reasons and then combinations of those 3:

1) Backup for an important trip or event etc (rarely used unless something happens to the primary body)

2) Shooting both at the same time with different lenses on each to cover more range (Like having 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 over each shoulder at an event)

3) Owning different types of bodies for different tasks (like 7D2 and a 6D)

When you start combining some of those you get into trouble....at one point I had 6 bodies sitting around before getting around to selling them. I currently have four. Three of those four would fall under category #3 (D500, 1DX2 and 5D4). Different bodies for different tasks. One of them (1DX) is mostly falling under category #1 at home but will fall under category #2 on an important trip sometimes.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:52 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

An important category 3) subtask that needs mentioning is weight. My main body is a 5D3 with the suite of f4 L zooms (100-400 included). My 80D can be backup with those lenses or save considerable weight by itself using EF-S lenses. Then I have an SL1, which is nominally my wife's camera, but which is very light with 18-55 and 55-250 STM lenses. And finally I have a 1 lb G1X which I take back-packing or as backup to the 5D3 kit. For dayhikes the SL1+55-250 combined with the G1X serves as both a light category 3) with category 1) and 2) aspects.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I seldom am without 2 bodies. I seldom change lenses in the field. Typically you can have the coverage/focal range ready to shoot for a planned outing.

Learning how to carry two bodies comfortably is key.

Mar 21, 2017 at 06:39 PM
didierv
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

When traveling, I always use 2 bodies, primarily for redundancy but also for flexibility.
I use a 6D and a 7DmkII , I need to change lenses less often and I double the usefulness of my lenses.
My 35 mm turns into a 50 mm and my 85 mm into a 135 mm. 4 lenses in 2 !

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:45 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

Not that Im saying anyone should do the same, but I made a (pretty long) list of my subjects and for each I checked my current body (5DsR) and two contenders (5D4 and 1Dx) if it would fit the purpose. Then I analyzed the check marks to help me decide which bodies are most suitable for my needs.

Ralph

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password