New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

Personally, I've always had just one and never really thought about getting another one. That being said, while the 6D is good at a lot of things, fast, small birds, it's not the best. I've thought about selling it( and still sort of do) and upgrading to the 5D4 to keep the simplicity of 1 body, but now I've been thinking of supplementing it with a 7D2.
As I see it, the 6D can be my do all body/low light and the 7D2 will be wildlife(especially with F8 AF) however, now I have added weight as well as bulk. The 5D4 would be a compromise of those 2 but also more pricey.

And yes, I know you pick whatever gets the job/picture done but what would you personally prefer?

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:42 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I shoot birds/wildlife and macros so I have two bodies and one crop body. IMHO, Canon doesn't make a body that excels at both the shooting styles I do.

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

Depends on what the situation is. if there is a lot of wildlife to be shot then two bodies, a FF and crop make a lot of sense. If there is little or no wildlife then one FF will do the job, and anything from a 6D up will be good.
If the photography earns money then two bodies are good insurance, and if there is no wildlife then two the same makes sense.
In my case I have a heritage 7D as well as a6D. I find the 6D covers every shooting situation, from sports to portraits, and the 7D just gets used for reach challenged shots, less than 1% of my images.

Mar 19, 2017 at 06:03 PM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

M. Best wrote:
Personally, I've always had just one and never really thought about getting another one. That being said, while the 6D is good at a lot of things, fast, small birds, it's not the best. I've thought about selling it( and still sort of do) and upgrading to the 5D4 to keep the simplicity of 1 body, but now I've been thinking of supplementing it with a 7D2.
As I see it, the 6D can be my do all body/low light and the 7D2 will be wildlife(especially with F8 AF) however, now I have added weight as well as bulk. The
...Show more

That's what's I thought... got to have an extra body. Then it got to three, then four and now going on 5 with 6 not too far behind. Gotta have the right one for the occasion. :-)

Mar 19, 2017 at 06:41 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

Well, its nice to have a wide-near telephoto zoom on one body and a long zoom or prime on another in wildlife situations so you can switch quickly without lens changes. I was just in the desert photographing wildflowers and two bodies with different lenses, say 16-35 and 100 macro are nice for the same reasons.

For more weight conscious travel a 5D3 or 4 with f8 AF can be a good alternative to the crop + FF combo. Of course with the right set of lenses any decent body will do. Personal preference here. A large sensor mirrorless can serve well as an alternate body as well.

Mar 19, 2017 at 06:55 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I would get the 5D4 or wait for the 7D3. If you want to try a 7D2 make sure you have a good return policy as they tend to be a lottery on good AF copies.

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:04 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

My thinking is its always worth having a second body.
As long as the batteries and chargers are interchangable its a great philosophy particularly travelling.
I dont do it for features i do it for reliability guarrantee.

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:32 PM
memoria
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

ggreene wrote:
I would get the 5D4 or wait for the 7D3. If you want to try a 7D2 make sure you have a good return policy as they tend to be a lottery on good AF copies.

+1

I am on my second unit now. The first one went back to the store. This second one is equally inconsistent, so I will just leave it directly to Canon for warranty calibration. Don't want to hassle with the store anymore...

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:19 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I like to have a second body with my 18-35 Sigma mounted on it when I'm out shooting with a telephoto simply to avoid swapping lenses in the field if something comes up that would otherwise require a lens change

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:27 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

Keep the 6D and buy an 80D

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:28 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

memoria wrote:
I am on my second unit now. The first one went back to the store. This second one is equally inconsistent, so I will just leave it directly to Canon for warranty calibration. Don't want to hassle with the store anymore...

If you are still in a return period with the store I would take advantage of it. After a lot of testing on my part to try and track down the issue I sent my 7D2 in to Canon twice for inconsistent AF and they simply sent it back with a "within spec" notice. Neither service resolved the issue. At this point Canon is simply ignoring the problem or doesn't really know what the cause is. I would not rely on Canon to fix it. I ended up selling it as I grew tired of the constant testing I was doing to try and resolve the issue myself. Not Canon's best effort at QC.

Mar 20, 2017 at 05:42 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

ggreene wrote:
If you are still in a return period with the store I would take advantage of it. After a lot of testing on my part to try and track down the issue I sent my 7D2 in to Canon twice for inconsistent AF and they simply sent it back with a "within spec" notice. Neither service resolved the issue. At this point Canon is simply ignoring the problem or doesn't really know what the cause is. I would not rely on Canon to fix it. I ended up selling it as I grew tired of the constant testing I was
...Show more

I just checked and unfortunately I am not within the return period anymore so looks like I don't have a choice.

yeah, the way it behaves now is really weird. It's not a regular back/frontfocus issue. Sometimes it's perfectly fine and sometimes it sometimes just throws everything out of focus - the entire image is blurred like the good old 1D mark III days before the callback. I also have many examples where my focuspoint is clearly on a very solid, contrasty target, good light and one-shot focus - yet somehow focus is on the horizon... or in front of my feet.

I really hope they can sort it out. Did you find a pattern with your issues?

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I always like to have more than one body but most times just for backup and not to shoot two different combos at the same time. However, I also own different bodies for different tasks and for some time had the 7D2/5D3 combo similar to your thoughts on 7D2/6D combo.

I prefer the 5D4 over those other combos so if you will only own one camera and are okay without the backup then I think the 5D4 is great. I think the only compromise you are making is 3FPS but I think you are gaining a lot of other stuff in using the 5D4 over 7D2/6D. You mentioned f/8 AF points and 5D4 has 61 of those versus 1 on the 7D2 (with 4 assists). Not only does that give you all your points but more importantly it gives you all your AF modes. You are also getting better ISO 100 DR for landscape stuff, you are getting a better focusing system in general over 6D and over 7D2 (IMHO). You are getting all the newest bells and whistles. Lots to like but very expensive.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:06 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I am not a pro and get along fine with the 6D, but admit, I probably miss some shots that I could have had with an AF upgrade. I just can't justify a $3500 upgrade to the 5D IV.

Waiting for the 6D2 to be released and then the first price drop or sale and then re-evaluate. If I buy a second body, I will keep the 6D I have now and it will wear my landscape lens most of the time.

In the meantime, the 6D is not so bad for larger birds like this hawk with the center point.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:30 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

memoria wrote:
Did you find a pattern with your issues?

Almost all my issues were in sequence inconsistencies. AF would be locked on in one frame and OOF in the next by various degrees. You could see that the AF point was right on the subject but it still would drift in and out of focus. I tried every setting and mode it had but I could not get better consistency out of it. I was using 70-200 IS II, 100-400mk2, and 300/2.8 IS II so it was combined with some of Canons best AF lenses.

Hopefully you have better luck at getting it resolved.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

memoria wrote:
+1

+1 too...
I'm on number 4 and it's just OK, but better than the others. I don't have too much confidence in it and would rather shoot with the 1D4 or even the 80D when I need a crop.

Mar 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

If you tend to keep one lens on a body you don't change as much and reduce the chance of dust specks on the sensor.

Mar 20, 2017 at 05:30 PM

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

I'm all for using two bodies, especially while travelling, and especially in dusty/rainy conditions when changing lenses would be dangerous and/or awkward. The combos I've gone through were 1D Mark II N / 20D; 1D Mark III (IV) / 1D Mark II N; and most recently 1D Mark IV / 650D, but mostly the second one was borrowed for the occasion. Even for the - say - street shooting in Singapore it was beneficial to have a 14mm lens on the N and 16-35mm lens on the III.
Shooting many events in the home city also benefits from having a second camera on hand. When I get out of the financial sinkhole I've edged myself into, I'm going to invest in (probably) a 80D. From the reviews, that camera seems to be excellent.
P. S. My fave from a trip to Mongolia:
http://pp.userapi.com/c619817/v619817358/18f16/pRw6HXCdyls.jpg
P. P. S. Carrying / using more than 2 bodies would be awkward, methinks.

Mar 21, 2017 at 04:18 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

There are 2 situations:
1. Two (or more) bodies because you have different tools for different needs -> different models as a matter of course
2. A different thing is shooting two bodies simultaneously for fast paced events when having to change lenses makes you miss the shot -> identical models preferred for straightforward operation

It's gets plain complicated if you regularly do both of the above and want only two bodies. I have that challenge right now. I always was a dual 5D shooter for events, but lately I also like shooting 1D series for action.

Having a backup is always a good idea, no matter what you shoot. A friend of mine who shoots recent 5D/1D bodies picked up a used 20D lately for 25 bucks. Fits in anywhere and provides reasonable IQ. At least the IQ is a whole lot better than having no images to bring home at all.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:37 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1 body vs 2(or more)?

Seems like the consensus is to have a second body, either for back up, which would be useful on trips just in case, or just to have an extra camera in case something pops up.

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.