FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Shipping gear for African safaris

dhachey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Shipping gear for African safaris

Full redundancy is tough and expensive, and probably not necessary. I've been to Africa and Antarctica (and all seven continents), but Antarctica is definitely tough on gear. Africa less so. The advice by Wildimages is very reasonable and gives you a certain level of redundancy. If you insist on shipping more gear than this, then you have the weight limitation imposed by internal flights on small aircraft. Contact Shem Compion at C4 Images in Johannesburg to see what he advises. Shem could probably help with receiving shipped gear. Another option is to carry the lighter gear and rent the long lenses in Jo'burg. Shipping costs are probably about the same as rental costs, and a rental is much more convenient (I did this too).

Good luck, ...Dave

plnelson wrote:
Yes, but I want full redundancy, so I'd have to double all that. My experience going to Antarctica is that an equipment failure can leave a hole in my focal length range and cause undue stress

Also I avoid telextenders because they rob me of f-stops - up to 300 I don't want anything less than f/2.8 and over that f/4. I have a TC 14EIII that I use in a pinch but it doesn't work with all my lenses (including my 24-70 f/2.8) (I don't have the 17-40 f/2.8 - does it fit that? Nikon's TC's generally don't fit
...Show more

Mar 27, 2017 at 03:54 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password