New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New laptop question

drdrick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New laptop question

Looking to purchase a new laptop to do photo editing. Been looking at 2 in 1's and the surface pro.

Does anyone have experience using them and running photoshop on them?

If using a pen/stylus do they respond well when editing?

I currently have an iPad pro but I really don't like the water downed apps, I want more control and I really like the apple pen.

Looking for any experience here.

Thank you

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:23 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New laptop question

I have the i7 Surface Pro 4 and love it. I'm pretty sure that you can google the reviews of the products and get a good indication of value and performance. There is a Ford/Chevy debate going on that gets very heated, but the bottom line is these devices are all good, for the most part, but the two in ones are the newest iterations of these devices as a rule, for a reason.

I can fit my SP4 into my camera backpack very easily because of it's form factor. It is a very capable computer in it's own right, and able to run all of the desktop applications you normally see on the desktops. The screen is gorgeous, and the ability to write on the screen, to me, is very useful once you get used to it, and it is very handy to write directly on the screen in real time when you use Microsoft's own "Edge" browser. A lot of people don't realize that you can do that. Unfortunately, it's the only browser that you can edit directly in real time with your stylus. After you get used to it, it is very handy, and impressive.

I have just purchased a Surface Dial for my SP4, and it is a really distinct and handy little device. I can see many implementations to incorporate it in day to day programs to help you do certain tasks. My favorite use so far is to be able to control the volume of the device when you are far away from it, like when you are listening to music and the phone rings, you don't have to scramble to turn down the volume, or mute it, you can just turn the dial, and it's done. The other thing it's useful for is to select certain colors to match up existing ones just by turning the dial and matching up the color. This technology is in it's infancy, so there is a ways to go with it's implementation.

The main think I can say through experience is that the constant attention by Microsoft to add updates to the device makes me think that the bugs are constantly being worked out. As much as detractors want you to believe that it shouldn't have bugs in the first place, it is a technological device, and it is being updated all the time, and to me that is a good thing.

Good luck in your choice, but I would not hesitate to look into the SP4 and get one with the minimum of 8 GB. The 4GB models aren't as "peppy" I have read, and the 8 GB models are the sweet spot. Photoshop and other editing programs run on my SP4 just like they do on a modern desktop. There is no crippling to the use of these programs and actually is impressive.

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:19 PM
drdrick

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New laptop question

Thank you for your info much appreciated.

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.