Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I'm looking into buying an angle finder for very low shots just above the ground/water but i'm not sure if it will be a good investment.
In some situations i find it difficult to lie down on the ground and stretch my head up to the OVF for longer periods of time. I'm wondering if using an angle finder makes this more comfortable. But i'm not sure if it is awakward to track a subject from an angle.

Ofcourse talking about wildlife photography with long teles mounted on a tripod.

I'm interested in reading your experience.

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I had one for years. A Canon Angle Finder C. I think it sucks. Now, I use my smart phone for this kind of stuff.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:38 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

jcolwell wrote:
I had one for years. A Canon Angle Finder C. I think it sucks. Now, I use my smart phone for this kind of stuff.

How do you track action with evf or remote? I find the lag and focus much more difficult than with OVF and continuous AF. I am following grebes on the water where they put on a display or dive and that requires pretty quick changes of focus and lens movement. Not sure if remote shooting helps there. Do you think your solution works for these cases as well?

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

jcolwell wrote:

therealthings wrote:
How do you track action with evf or remote? I find the lag and focus much more difficult than with OVF and continuous AF. I am following grebes on the water where they put on a display or dive and that requires pretty quick changes of focus and lens movement. Not sure if remote shooting helps there. Do you think your solution works for these cases as well?

For moving subjects, I shoot my 500 with an eye on the finder, either handheld or on a monopod.

You might be right about the time lag. I've never quantified it, because I generally use it for static subjects. LiveView AF is generally very accurate, but I'm not sure how well it works with AI Servo (or whatever it's called) you use for LiveView AF with a moving subject.

OTOH, it might be worth evaluating the lag time for a phone display, because it would be a lot easier to have a smart phone display on the camera hotshoe, than getting your eye down to the angle finder, and also be able to rotate and elevate the lens. At least with a screen on the top of the camera, you can have a stand-off distance of maybe a few feet, and still see the image in the finder (i.e. on the phone).

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I use an anglefinder quite frequently for waterfowl and shorebird photography. If I was more willing to get dirty and go prone then it wouldn't be used too often.

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:23 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I've got a cheap Seagull angle finder, and I use it often. I like that it has 1.25x and 2.5x magnification and an adjustable diopter. I use short/wide lenses mostly to shoot qlnsscapes, though, and rarely a long tele. The angle finder allows me to carry a much shorted tripod, which along with the lower perspective I usually prefer, is much easier to travel with.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I've had a Canon Angle Finder C for years. I also have a CamRanger and a Canon W-E1, which has reduced the amount of use the Angle Finder gets. Now I use it for macro work and when I'm shooting in conditions when I don't want to risk damaging the CamRanger. Also when I can't work with the electronic units' delays or the relatively poor resolution of the W-E1 on my iPad Pro.

All three are tools, and there's overlap in what they can do. You'd benefit from connecting with a local who's got both and seeing them in action for yourself.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:59 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I use an Angle Finder C for macro work. I like that the image isn't laterally reversed like my old Olympus Varimagni Finder. I don't like that it requires so much diopter adjustment when shifting between the full frame and magnified modes.

Edited on Mar 21, 2017 at 08:17 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2017 at 07:05 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I used an Angle Finder C for years before I had liveview and still use it for when the camera is right up against a wall as I can stand at the side and still see through the VF, I find it very useful in tight spaces.

But if I didn't have a Canon one I'd probably buy a cheap knockoff and save a lot of money

Mar 21, 2017 at 07:45 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

Thanks guys. Just had the chance to buy a used one for 60 euro's (about 60USD at the current exchange rates) in mint condition. The lag with EVF and wired or wireless tethered solutions is just not an option for tracking irratic moving subjects like diving grebes. I really need a superresponsive focus system that tracks easily. Would have even been better if i could put a magnifier lens on top of the angle finder so i can just look at the camera from a distance. Sometimes i look through my OVF from a distance as well when my lens needs to turn in positions when my head can't reach for the eye cup. (E.g. when i put the lens over the side mirror of the car).

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I used to have one and used it occasionally when the shooting angle was awkward. Live View changed that all, and I have sold it once I got LiveView cameras (5D2, 1Ds3) back a decade ago or so. So much better and more flexible. Most importantly, always there.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:27 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

stanj wrote:
I used to have one and used it occasionally when the shooting angle was awkward. Live View changed that all, and I have sold it once I got LiveView cameras (5D2, 1Ds3) back a decade ago or so. So much better and more flexible. Most importantly, always there.

How do you track fast and irratic moving subjects with live view? I am interested to know. I tried to use live view on animals that suddenly pop up in a scene and have a poor success rate compared to OVF focussing.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:32 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

dcains wrote:
I've got a cheap Seagull angle finder, and I use it often. I like that it has 1.25x and 2.5x magnification and an adjustable diopter. I use short/wide lenses mostly to shoot qlnsscapes, though, and rarely a long tele. The angle finder allows me to carry a much shorted tripod, which along with the lower perspective I usually prefer, is much easier to travel with.

^This.
After I got "OK" liveview with the 6D, I've stopped using the angle finder completely. Framing under oblique angles is not ideal with a fixed back-screen, but still leagues better than using the OVF.

For really weird angles and tripod shooting, I prefer to use the DSLR controller app on my phone or tablet - either through USB Or WiFi.

Again, I don't "hunt erratic subjects" at weird angles with live-view, and I doubt many do. You just cannot get a DSLR's AF speed through LV, even if Canon's latest DPAF is the best in this segment.

Even the best MILCs that focus pretty good on closer subjects / shorter FLs, suffer a bit~to~a lot with long tele lenses. Perhaps what you are after is not really here yet.

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:01 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

dtolios wrote:
^This.
After I got "OK" liveview with the 6D, I've stopped using the angle finder completely. Framing under oblique angles is not ideal with a fixed back-screen, but still leagues better than using the OVF.

For really weird angles and tripod shooting, I prefer to use the DSLR controller app on my phone or tablet - either through USB Or WiFi.

Again, I don't "hunt erratic subjects" at weird angles with live-view, and I doubt many do. You just cannot get a DSLR's AF speed through LV, even if Canon's latest DPAF is the best in this segment.

Even the best MILCs
...Show more

Yes, that is what i am saying. Don't get me wrong, i use live view and remote shooting as well but only for static shots. Would be nice to somehow enlarge the OVF into something like the live view screen for instant AF and better tracking.

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:18 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

stanj wrote:

therealthings wrote:
How do you track fast and irratic moving subjects with live view? I am interested to know.

Well, presently (1DX2, 5D4), it does it actually quite well. Even so, my answer would be "far better than with the angle finder!" because I always saw it more useful for macro or architecture work, neither of which typically runs away. Never in my mind would I think to use the angle finder for moving subjects. Then again, many other obvious things never occurred to me

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:05 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

stanj wrote:
Well, presently (1DX2, 5D4), it does it actually quite well. Even so, my answer would be "far better than with the angle finder!" because I always saw it more useful for macro or architecture work, neither of which typically runs away. Never in my mind would I think to use the angle finder for moving subjects. Then again, many other obvious things never occurred to me

The 1dxII sucks with tracking subjects. Tried that. Also please keep in mind that i want to track subjects just above ground or water level. Lying flat on the ground and stretching your head forward to look in the viewfinder is not something you can do for an hour (not me at least). So it is for a very specific type of photography. Going to try it coming weekend, the angle finder arrived today.

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:04 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

therealthings wrote:
The 1dxII sucks with tracking subjects.

Well certainly better than with an angle finder. At least in my experience.

My apologies if I didn't answer in the right context. Nowhere in your OP did you state anything about subject tracking, and I'm not familiar with what you shoot. I went purely by your post. My bad.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

Have used one since I got my D60. Bought the adapter and now use it w/my 7DII. If it got lost, I'd buy another one right away.

E

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:31 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

stanj wrote:
Well certainly better than with an angle finder. At least in my experience.

My apologies if I didn't answer in the right context. Nowhere in your OP did you state anything about subject tracking, and I'm not familiar with what you shoot. I went purely by your post. My bad.

Maybe you should read the OP again, i mentioned tracking with long teles mounted on a tripod just above ground level. But you think LV tracking is good on the dxii? I only use it on good contrasty scenes or people. On low contrast scenes and low light i find it too slow.

Mar 23, 2017 at 06:23 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Angle finder; have you used it? and do you like it?

I wore my first one out ... working on the second one, until I got the 80D with flippy screen.

For long glass and fast tracking, I'd take it off.

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password