New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · B+W 72mm UV Haze Filter for Oly 12-100 Pro Lens

GaryKpdx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B+W 72mm UV Haze Filter for Oly 12-100 Pro Lens

I am a long term photographer--long enough to remember buying UV Haze filters for all my lenses out of habit. But since digital, I have gone barenekkid.

However, I have Olympia's new E-M1.ii and just acquired what I am sure will be my new walkabout lens, the 12-100 PRO zoom. This is my first $1K+ lens in a long time. It has a 72mm front glass element that is quite close to the opening of the lens.

I am tempted to buy a protective filter for it as most of my photography is outdoors in Oregon weather including at the seashore. I carry a lens cleaning kit with me consisting of the usual stuff plus a small can of air and a super soft brush, but have no idea how soft the coating might be on this lens and don't want to test it in the field.

Also, at 12mm, I wonder if I might get vignetting with a 72mm filter.

Any bits o' wisdom or experience appreciated.

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:02 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B+W 72mm UV Haze Filter for Oly 12-100 Pro Lens

A well discussed subject in basically every forum I've ever been on . . . Some folks use them. Some don't. And everyone is sure that they have the right approach.

First of all, it is my understanding that you don't need UV Haze for digital. Plain old MRC glass will do just as well if protection is all you intend.

I use filters for a couple reasons -
Like you I'm often shooting outside in inclement weather - sand, dust, salt spray- plus when traveling, I'm often putting my camera in and out of the bag and can't be bothered to put a lens cap on each time. I figure a filter is cheap insurance against a rub (or worse) on the front element and is far easier and simpler to clean on the go.

I don't have the 12-100 (it is on order) but my 62mm filter doesn't vignette on the 12-40.

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:04 PM
megancanada
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B+W 72mm UV Haze Filter for Oly 12-100 Pro Lens

Mine does not vignette on the 12-100 and I do use them out of habit.

A few times the filter has saved my lens when the camera dropped or I hit the lens against a wall.

The filter took most of the hit and saved the lens glass for sure.

So I continue to use them.

Hope this helps I know a lot of people don't use them but I do for this reason alone.

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.