New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

I am wondering a few things about Nikon warranties:

1) If I sell or buy a used item does the second owner retain warranty coverage? Nikon warranty says only for the original purchaser. But what if the product is given as a gift? If the second owner has the original sales receipt will Nikon service it for them under a valid warranty??

2) A Canadian lens/body sold to the US or a US lens/body sold to Canada. Will the other country honour the warranty? (my guess is no on this one). Will the other country at least service the body/lens at the customer's expense?

Canadian warranty is 2 years on bodies and 5 years on lenses but I think US is only 1 year on each?? That to me says Nikon won't honour warranty across border even on a new lens bought in the other country....true?

Thanks for any info on this.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:42 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

Officially Nikon warranties aren't transferable but many times Nikon will still honor it for the second owner. It's hit and miss.

Nikon USA does not honor Nikon Canada warranties - don't know about the reverse case of Nikon Canada honoring Nikon USA warranties. However, some select Nikon camera/lens products sold in Canada come with a Canada+USA warranty, which are honored in both locations. You can tell if this is the case via the warranty insert that came with the product - it'll say both Canada and USA.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:54 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

snapsy wrote:
Officially Nikon warranties aren't transferable but many times Nikon will still honor it for the second owner. It's hit and miss.

Nikon USA does not honor Nikon Canada warranties - don't know about the reverse case of Nikon Canada honoring Nikon USA warranties. However, some select Nikon camera/lens products sold in Canada come with a Canada+USA warranty, which are honored in both locations. You can tell if this is the case via the warranty insert that came with the product - it'll say both Canada and USA.

Thanks Snapsy, do you know if the other country will at least service the other countries' lens or camera without warranty involved (or void)?

Seems Canon is much better in all of the above, honouring warranties between countries and servicing even grey market items (usually). But the big difference is Nikon Canada having way better warranty time periods which hopefully they will still honour for a second owner considering the time periods are long....more chance of a second owner having the gear while still in warranty. With Nikon USA and Canon Can/US only having 1 year coverage, most second owners are out of warranty anyways so it only comes down to will the company service the product.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:58 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks Snapsy, do you know if the other country will at least service the other countries' lens or camera without warranty involved (or void)?

Seems Canon is much better in all of the above, honouring warranties between countries and servicing even grey market items (usually). But the big difference is Nikon Canada having way better warranty time periods which hopefully they will still honour for a second owner considering the time periods are long....more chance of a second owner having the gear while still in warranty. With Nikon USA and Canon Can/US only having 1 year coverage, most second owners are
...Show more

Nikon USA will service gear purchased from other countries but only if it was purchased from an authorized Nikon dealer in that country (ie, wasn't a grey-market import). Nikon USA requires a receipt from the purchase to prove as much. Agree that Canon is much better (and ultimately smarter) about this.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

snapsy wrote:
Nikon USA will service gear purchased from other countries but only if it was purchased from an authorized Nikon dealer in that country (ie, wasn't a grey-market import). Nikon USA requires a receipt from the purchase to prove as much. Agree that Canon is much better (and ultimately smarter) about this.

Thanks again. That is good to know so if I sell to someone in the US they will be able to get service in the future if needed if I provide them with the original receipt.

I have sent an email to Nikon Canada to find out if they will honour the 2 and 5 year warranties for the second owner if they have original receipt....will see what they say. If they don't honour it then I don't know how you get around getting something as a gift, purchase by another.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:07 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

Geoff, and what was Nikon’s reply?

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:17 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

Nikon will repair anything from Canada/USA as long as it was bought from an authorized dealer. There is a fee for service outside the country of origin or during the warranty you can ship it to the warranty country if you aren't in it for a free repair.

Bodies in Canada get 2 years warranty, USA only gets 1. All countries get the 5 year lens warranty. You technically need to register the product to get the 4 additional years on the lens. The first year of your warranty is "international" on lenses.

Before prices in Canada were adjusted for the USD, people were getting insane deals on bodies and lenses - cheaper than a lot of used prices. If there was a warranty issue there was only minimal hassle, and some of the Canadian dealers offere to do everything for you.

Warranty does not transfer beyond the original owner, but it's a gamble since sometimes Nikon does it. It's completely at their discretion but if you have the receipt there's a decent chance they will help.you.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:01 AM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

I had my Canadian gear serviced multiple times (in Canada) - and I'm yet to be asked for the proof of purchase or if I'm the original owner. It almost looks like they're using some serial number lookup tool to estimate if the gear is still in warranty or not.

Jan 21, 2018 at 02:07 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000001237&configured=1&lang=en_CA

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:02 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

Imagemaster wrote:
Geoff, and what was Nikon’s reply?

I had submitted a question online and thought it was going to Nikon Canada because I'd gone through their site. Ended up going to Nikon USA. They just confirmed that they will service a Canadian lens with receipt to know it isn't grey market. Then I gave up.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

Recently (December 2017), had my 16-35 serviced under warranty at Nikon Canada (Mississaugga). I brought it in myself. They asked for, and took a copy of, the receipt.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:46 AM
T-O Shooter
• •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

tek9 wrote:
I had my Canadian gear serviced multiple times (in Canada) - and I'm yet to be asked for the proof of purchase or if I'm the original owner. It almost looks like they're using some serial number lookup tool to estimate if the gear is still in warranty or not.

I called Nikon Canada with a D4s serial number to determine if it was gray, and in about 30 secs the girl told me it wasn't and (without telling me) she confirmed she knew what store and when it was sold. So you are probably right on how it's done.

Jan 21, 2018 at 09:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon warrenties Canada vs USA

lara_ckl wrote:
Recently (December 2017), had my 16-35 serviced under warranty at Nikon Canada (Mississaugga). I brought it in myself. They asked for, and took a copy of, the receipt.

You are fortunate to be able to do that. It cost me $85 to send my D500 by regular parcel post to Nikon from BC. $50 of that was for insurance.

Jan 23, 2018 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.