FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

My archives are caving in under the weight of pictures which I have been keeping for god knows what purpose, as they all have some kind of noteworthy flaws, therefore, the do not get posted anywhere often. Not that my A-grade keepers are "flawless", far from it, but at least with them I have no hesitation when it comes to placing them on display. Yet, some of you might find some of those B-grade keepers interesting, or of some merit.

All shot with a variety of Canon equipment.

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 09:02 AM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:15 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

If these are B grade then I will have to keep my best buried for ever

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

Shreeni, you are a very kind person. Now, as an example, let us take a look at the last picture above. The two major flaws in it are bad background and bird's toes being clipped. The first one I could not help, but the second one is my VF framing error. Without those issues, I would have been quite happy with the picture as it shows an uncommon feather shake of the bird.

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:59 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

Ronald Reagan would be proud of you Peter. 4 is the only one that bugs me. There is merit to all

Morris

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:40 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

morris wrote:
Ronald Reagan would be proud of you Peter. 4 is the only one that bugs me. There is merit to all

Morris

He he, that is funny, Morris.
Now, with No.4, as you've noticed it yourself, the bird just flew into a narrow sunbeam as I was getting a shot. That made her shoulders and wingtops blown. When shooting something under a relatively thick canopy of trees in the manual exposure mode, not only that such localized skylights are usually not anticipated, it is also practically impossible to change the exposure on the fly. Otherwise, I would have been quite happy with that one too.

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:25 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

PetKal wrote:
He he, that is funny, Morris.
Now, with No.4, as you've noticed it yourself, the bird just flew into a narrow sunbeam as I was getting a shot. That made her shoulders and wingtops blown. When shooting something under a relatively thick canopy of trees in the manual exposure mode, not only that such localized skylights are usually not anticipated, it is also practically impossible to change the exposure on the fly. Otherwise, I would have been quite happy with that one too.

I also shoot in manual and will move the shutter speed dial as necessary. Reaction time is still involved

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:27 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

A very nice set despite the "flaws" Peter ~ Ron

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:13 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

nice lookin set Peter

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:29 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

We learn from our flaws and missteps...as you know, that is what is called experience. After awhile the missteps are fewer but without doubt still happen and actually cause more frustration as we expect better of ourselves. Having said that, you are a pretty tough grader and I think these are quite good despite the clipped toes and cluttered background of the last.
Eric

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:39 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

Very nice images, Peter; especially the first 3. BIF from that difficult lighting is unpredictable and you did well even though the white was cooked a bit in #4.
About the clipped toe, it happens to me too

-Tam

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:14 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B-grade keepers ....Egrets

Peter there is something to learn from each of your posts. You set a very high standard for your work , one that I will keep trying to reach

Despite the "flaws" these are well done.

Birdie

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:23 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.