Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

kinconorb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Is there a list somewhere online for the entire Nikon line-up?

The following is copied directly from his website: "Nikon only sold 7,000 of these 18mm lenses, while it's sold close to 100,000 of the 20mm AF — so far. Zooms are even more popular: Nikon sold 50,000 of the 20-35mm, 125,000 of the 17-35mm as of 2009, 110,000 of the 18-35mm and 75,000 of the 14-24mm, so far."

I would assume there is a list somewhere unless Ken is pulling numbers out of thin air.

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:06 AM
Elisha82
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Out of his poop shoot!

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:17 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

People in the know track the serial numbers.

Not hard to find.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:52 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Regardless of lens sales numbers, I just want to know why the OP is even reading Ken Rockwell. There is an immediate loss of credibility with that knowledge.

Jim

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:19 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

JimFox wrote:
Regardless of lens sales numbers, I just want to know why the OP is even reading Ken Rockwell. There is an immediate loss of credibility with that knowledge.

Jim

Clearly it's because KR is the world's most skilled, respected and experienced Nikon expert. Must be true… it says so right there on the interweb!

C

Mar 19, 2017 at 06:47 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Mr. Fox is this thought control? When I started 11 years ago in digital photography KR's website got me off zero. KR has valuable knowledge and an unique writing style. Realize that he is also a covert comedian. He has ultra definitive opinions and also embedded humor (some would not recognize it as such).

Nevertheless, he has a large database of lens reciews which I find useful. Yes, he has his own point of view and likely it doesn't vepiecematch so many others. However, like this forum and other sources of information, you take what is valuable and move on.

He must have some value (obviously to others not you) since he is so successful. Now go right ahead and Flame me if that pleases you.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

To me, the only thing worse than reading him...is quoting him.

Mar 19, 2017 at 01:25 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

One of the many things aliens give KR is inside information...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/analprobe/dissent.htm

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:36 PM
bozziovai

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

ken the best reviewer out there coz even though the equipment hasn't shipped yet, he already has a review in his website .. haha

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:41 PM
emoyeni

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

trenchmonkey wrote:
To me, the only thing worse than reading him...is quoting him.

There's another.....defending him....😱

Mar 19, 2017 at 05:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Ken Rockwell is as polarizing as supporting Trump Go Trump

Mar 19, 2017 at 06:54 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

FWIW, I prefer the reviews from Nasim Mansurov as these are done by people not in a rush to be the first in writing a review that is not going in-depth.
https://photographylife.com/

Another trusted person is Steve Perry from this very own forum. He understands photography and the gear.

KR? What a joke.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

OK Ken Rockwell is just another source of information for our hobby. There are MANY great people I get my information from. Bjørn Rørslett, Nasim Mansurov, Steve Perry, The angry photographer haha. No really. We have enough brains to know where KR comes from. I like his humor, and he has contributed to our hobby with his lens data base. We know this stuff enough to take from ALL sources. Ken is not fake news It's just getting a little old bashing a guy when the people doing the bashing haven't given us a link to all there great knowledge.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

I never understood all the hate for Ken Rockwell. I like his site a lot and he contributes a lot to photography in general. Envy, I suppose?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Mataz426 wrote:
OK Ken Rockwell is just another source of information for our hobby. There are MANY great people I get my information from. Bjørn Rørslett, Nasim Mansurov, Steve Perry, The angry photographer haha. No really. We have enough brains to know where KR comes from. I like his humor, and he has contributed to our hobby with his lens data base. We know this stuff enough to take from ALL sources. Ken is not fake news It's just getting a little old bashing a guy when the people doing the bashing haven't given us a link to all there great
...Show more

Yep...lots of parrots out there...easy to follow the bashing crowd just because.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

Ken Rockwell used to have an email link on his review site, may still I don't know. Back in 2004 or so I bought a new 300mm f2.8 AF-S lens that was absolutely bad, very soft images right out of the box, new. I returned it for a 2nd copy, which is fantastic. (I now have that lens on the board for sale.) I sent Ken an email and told him my story. He promptly replied and ask my phone number. When he called he pounded me with questions regarding all aspects of that bad lens. I enjoyed the conversation, and become aware he is a very nice family man adoring his wife and children, and he was a serious Nikon snob which is a good thing.
I mention above because (then) Rockwell was serious about his reviews and wanted details of my lens, and concerned about how my problem was handled. Today, maybe he is just another man looking to get donation cash, but then he was serious about his reviews.

Edited on Mar 20, 2017 at 01:43 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Max Power
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

His site has some value. When I need specs for a certain lens type, quite often his site is the quickest resource. I disagree with a lot of his opinions, and find his clipped black and white style of sharing his thoughts tiresome, but I stll occasionally use his site for some gear specifics. I too used his site a lot when I just started out digital. His site is very well laid out.

I understand the bashing, it certainly isnt new.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:21 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

I was a better shooter than Ken Rocknotwell before I bought my first dSLR

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:27 AM
huddy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

His site does have value, even if he isn't going to win any awards for writing style. I started reading KR's website when I was a poor college student interested in picking up digital photography for fun. It set me on a very good path as I picked up a D70 and 35 1.8. I didn't find out about This wonderful site here for almost two more years; I have learned a lot more here, but am always grateful for the information he presented. In some ways, I hsve more respect for him now since he never struck me as a paid shill, just a passionate Nikon user who enjoyed his family and went on lots of trips/vacations through the southwestern desert.

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:57 AM
Blakehfreeman
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where does Ken Rockwell get his lens sale figures?

If anyone cares, every time someone on here defends him I make a mental note to think less of that photographers opinion... just sayin.

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:33 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password