FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

jaredmizanin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

I am taking a rare vacation as the opportunity has presented itself this forthcoming Memorial Day weekend. I will be flying into Miami and am busy building a flexible itinerary for the trip. My target is wildlife, my focus mostly on birds but also on reptiles and amphibians. Although I am aware that Florida is teeming with wildlife, I am concerned over the sun's angle at this time of year. I know it will be crucial to be out and about early and late, but from what I hear the vast majority of the daylight will be "harsh."

Here in Ohio, it has been quite a while since the sun was high enough to be harsh much of the day; I almost forget what that looks like! Anyhow, I know amazing photos still can be taken in the middle of the day. I am hoping for cloudy conditions mid-day to filter those rays, but I know I cannot rely on that. What are some of your tips regarding mid-day harsh light wildlife photography? I'm not much of a flash guy, but if need be I might have to take a crash course in fill flash with a beamer.

In case it is helpful, my proposed gear list for the trip:

Canon 5D IV
Canon 1D IV
Canon 800/5.6L
Canon 100-400L II
Canon 100/2.8L Macro
Canon 17-40L
Canon 580EX II and likely MT-24EX (both for nighttime reptiles/amphibians)

Possible locations include: Everglades NP, Wakodahatchee and Green Cay wetlands, Tigertail Beach, etc

Thanks for any tips

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:42 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

jaredmizanin wrote:
I am taking a rare vacation as the opportunity has presented itself this forthcoming Memorial Day weekend. I will be flying into Miami and am busy building a flexible itinerary for the trip. My target is wildlife, my focus mostly on birds but also on reptiles and amphibians. Although I am aware that Florida is teeming with wildlife, I am concerned over the sun's angle at this time of year. I know it will be crucial to be out and about early and late, but from what I hear the vast majority of the daylight will be "harsh."

Here in
...Show more

I vote fill flash. You can try and find your subjects in the shade. Afternoon adds thunder storms to the clouds of mosquitoes. Bring plenty of repellent and consider light weight long sleeve clothing

Mar 19, 2017 at 01:07 PM
jaredmizanin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

Thanks, Morris. I might have to try the fill flash. I'm guessing I will need a bracket to raise the flash off the camera and a cord, too. Or maybe I won't need the cord...maybe the 5D IV can utilize an external flash off-body via wireless technology.

I will be bringing long-sleeved clothing as well as a couple mosquito net hats. Thanks for the reminder, though!

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

I second the fill flash. I am currently using MagMod Wildlife kit, very happy with.

As to the not needing a cord, on my Nikon I found the IR signal was not always reliable especially in the sun. I ended up having to get a cord. I found a short one from Paramount cords.

Birdie

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

jaredmizanin wrote:
Thanks, Morris. I might have to try the fill flash. I'm guessing I will need a bracket to raise the flash off the camera and a cord, too. Or maybe I won't need the cord...maybe the 5D IV can utilize an external flash off-body via wireless technology.

I will be bringing long-sleeved clothing as well as a couple mosquito net hats. Thanks for the reminder, though!

I mount my flash on camera and use a flash extender. For fill flash you don't need separation from the camera and actually using one would result in harsh shadows where your flash dose not get. All of my recent posts are done using this method. Just remember that fill flash means the flash is less light than the primary light source.

Morris

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM
jaredmizanin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photography in harsh light? Florida in late May

I mount my flash on camera and use a flash extender. For fill flash you don't need separation from the camera and actually using one would result in harsh shadows where your flash dose not get. All of my recent posts are done using this method. Just remember that fill flash means the flash is less light than the primary light source.

Morris

Wow. I had not ever heard of this. I have always read that you needed separation to avoid steel-eye and to make the lighting look more natural. I just took a gander at your flickr site. On several photos (oystercatchers, nesting terns, yellow-crowned night-heron, etc) the EXIF shows that you used flash. In all these photos, did you use the better beamer and flash directly mounted on the camera's hotshoe? No bracket? I also noticed your shutter speeds were much higher than the high-speed sync limit; I don't know much about flash so excuse my terminology.

I'm excited because I am not interested in using flash as the main light source; rather, just to combat harsh lighting conditions so I can shoot all day rather than just a couple hours after sunrise and a couple hours before sunset. Not having a bracket would save me money and time setting up the rig.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2017 at 01:41 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password