Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And li...

TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

I have a new client who wants me to do some art reproduction. I don't usually do this anymore, as I had a client who would not let me calibrate her screen, and insisted that my adjustments were off. Well, based off of my works with her, a mutual friend liked my work quite a bit, and wants me to shoot his work.

When I shot with my Sony system, I used the 55/1.8 or the Minolta 50/3.5 Macro (excellent reproduction lens) as they both had excellent corner to corner sharpness at f/4 (and even wider, really). Now that I have switched to Fuji, I am a bit nervous. He has nearly 80 paintings he wants me to shoot. This will take a couple of weeks, as I need to get the colors just right.

What lens would people recommend? The 35/1.4 stopped down? The 35/2? My 56/1.2 will be too long. Maybe my 16-55/2.8? I am a bit concerned that it may not hold up in terms of distortion.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on a lighting setup? I typically used 2 continuous lights and sometimes some very low flash (manually set) for higher textured paintings. However, I usually used a large light tent type of thing that diffused the light nicely. However, that was for works with a maximum edge of 30". Some of the works I will be shooting will be 80". This goes beyond what i can do with standard light tents. Should I make my own diffuser setup? Is there something out there that I just haven't run across?

Part of me is tempted to just use my RX1, as it could probably do an excellent job. However, tethering will be very useful in this job,and it is going to be quite a bit of money. I want to light it right.

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:04 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

It sounds like you need an equivalent of FF 50mm at f/4 for your reproduction work. I would think the ideal Fuji lens would be the XF 60 Macro lens, but the effective FL may be too long.

Lighting I tend to use a lot of LED lighting rather flash, as I can see exactly how to position lighting and balance. Flash lighting is excellent but can take a while to setup correctly and to have the balance right for your taste.

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:16 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

This is way out of my comfort zone in giving advice on art reproduction. But I would think both the 35mm f2 and 16-55mm 2.8 would not fit the bill because they need to be software corrected. In case of the zoom, alot (maybe look at lenstip for lens reviews) I'm assuming that you would want a optical corrected lens. For that the 16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4 & 35mm f1.4 are optically correct. As for what aperture I don't know, nor do I know about lighting. Again, please take this "advice" with a huge grain of salt.

~Eddie

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:18 AM
tgrantster
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Peek sharpness on my 35 1.4 is at f5.6. Are the pieces all of similar size? Will you have room to move back and forth? 50mm equivalent may get pretty tight if you're shooting big pieces. 35 f2 would probably be my choice...as long as I had room to use it.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:46 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

They are all over the place, in terms of size. In looking around his place, some look to be nearly 4'x5', 3'x5', while others are only 30" x 20". This is going to be a lot of work. I will probably do it at his place in his finished basement with my lightimg setup. I have two continuous lights with diffusers, and I have a couple of shoot through umbrellas. However, I only have one Fuji ef-x500 and one ef-42. I suppose I could pick up a Yongnuo manual trigger and shoot both flashes, manually balance them, and then use the continuous lighting to highlight the textures. He uses oils and they have a ton of brushstrokes and very bold colors.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:35 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Just did this over the weekend. Used the XT2 with 23/1.4. LED lighting. On site and tight conditions, but got it done, and there needs to be some post processing done on my end this week. Work range from 3ft x 6ft down to 18inchs square.

2 LEDs on stands, bounced in small white painted storage unit. 3rd Led I played around with to get even light, on a sand bag or even in my hand.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

With these sizes the XF 23/1.4 would be a great choice LED lighting on stands makes your life so much easier.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:31 AM
travelair

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Oddball thought for you. Nikon's 40mm macro for crop sensors on an adapter, if you need something wider. Although, it is a 'G' lens, which means you would have to use something like the more expensive Metabones adapter.

I have years of experience doing flat-field copy work with my Nikon's both digital and analog, although I've never done anything like this with my Fuji's. As you seem to understand, it is tougher to do well than most imagine. For something 'flat' like paintings, I'm a strong proponent of using a lens corrected for flat-field work, shot at f/8-11, as best compromise between sharpness, depth of field, and diffraction. My standard is my 60mm micro Nikkor set to manual focus. AF is just irritating for copy work.

Getting even lighting on those larger pieces is going to be a royal pain too. FEIT makes some high CRI LEDs (93, in 2700, 3000 and 5000K colors) that are good enough for most of the things that I do professionally, although they still might not be enough for an odd pigment in a painting. Philips also makes some full spectrum (98CRI, 5000K), 48" T8 tubes that you could use in inexpensive, shop light fixtures.

Edited on Apr 07, 2017 at 05:21 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2017 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gyoung143
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

I would definately use a macro lens. Designed for the job with a flat field. At the moment I still have my 55mm 3.5 micro nikkor, I have done thousands of flat copy shots of all sizes with that over 25 years. I haven't got the 60mm macro xf yet, although its on the shopping list, but it seems to get good reports.
I would use my old 500w tungsten floods. I don't know about LED lights I haven't looked at them yet. I would never use flash or anything fluorescent if you want good colour repro, a discontinuous spectrum no matter how well 'corrected' can give strange results.

Gerry

Apr 07, 2017 at 04:19 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

A good flat field lens - and why aren't you using cross polarized lights for copywork of Painting and artwork?

Do you use a gray scale and color separation guides?

Apr 07, 2017 at 11:09 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Zeiss touitt 50mm macro might be another lens you want to consider.

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:16 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

If you have the room to back up, I'd definitely go with the 60mm Macro from Fuji. It's an excellent lens, especially stopped down with zero distortion. Try and shoot with continuous lights if you can manage that as it will be easier to deal with shadows and positioning of your lights to make sure you're not getting any weird artifacts from brush strokes, etc.

I've done a good bit of copy work and photos of artwork and a longer lens like the 60 (90mm effective) is great for that kind of work.

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:35 PM
gyoung143
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Edward Castro wrote:
This is way out of my comfort zone in giving advice on art reproduction. But I would think both the 35mm f2 and 16-55mm 2.8 would not fit the bill because they need to be software corrected. In case of the zoom, alot (maybe look at lenstip for lens reviews) I'm assuming that you would want a optical corrected lens. For that the 16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4 & 35mm f1.4 are optically correct. As for what aperture I don't know, nor do I know about lighting. Again, please take this "advice" with a huge grain of salt.

~Eddie

Working at close distances with a wide angle is rarely a good idea for flat copy, they usually have more problems with curvature of field, illumination fall-off in the corners, geometric rendering etc, although I have done it when my back was against the wall for lack of space and the subject couldn't be moved.
For the same reasons, lens tests that rely on a test chart relatively close to the camera are at least suspect if not pretty useless.
Same applies to zooms, in spades! If you can move to frame the picture then there's no real reason to use a zoom, which inevitably have more compromises than prime lenses regarding pretty well all aberrations. The 'macro' settings on zoom lenses might do ok for three dimensional stuff where edge performance is not important but are generally insisted on by the marketing department rather than the lens designer.
Nothing less than a 'standard' to medium long focus (35-60 on aps-c, or more), and properly designed for flat copy work would really do a good job from my experience.

Gerry

Apr 09, 2017 at 07:38 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Don't forget to shoot a colour card and grey scale in each image (I always shoot two images of any work; the first with the card in shot; then take it out and make another exposure).

Unless you have extremely accurate ways of placing the lens axis in the middle of the painting you are shooting, better to avoid wider angles; distortion is a killer. Normal or short teles (macro teles best) are standard for this kind of work. Having the sensor in the same plane as the work you are trying to reproduce is essential.

Have a look here, too:

http://www.betterlight.com/downloads/conference10_speakers/guyer_Polarization.pdf

Apr 30, 2017 at 09:34 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

I don't know if you have access to strobes, or if your LEDs are powerful enough, but I would think that setting up a couple of white V flats right next to your camera position, and aiming your lights into the V flats would give you the maximum spread of light that is even across the pieces you're photographing. I suspect that this strategy is largely dependent on the working distance you have available. And obviously, use a Passport Color Checker for accurate color rendition.

May 03, 2017 at 12:46 AM
gyoung143
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need to do art reproduction - which X mount lens? And lighting...

Again , you are unlikely to get 'accurate' colour reproduction using strobes as they have a discontinuous spectrum. Incandescent is the way to go, and soft lighting arrangements are only necessary if you need to avoid shadows with three-dimensional subjects. A pair of matching 500w floods was always my choice for large items on the wall. On a copy stand 4 small reflectors with enlarger bulbs in.

Gerry

May 03, 2017 at 08:47 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password