Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

ckapl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

I just aquired the Laowa 12mm (Canon mount so I can use it on my Canon system) and the Fotodiox shift adapter for Fuji X. So far the image circle seems big enough to allow full shifts (10 mm). I will be testing it extensivly and report back.

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:10 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

rdeloe wrote:
I've noticed that with the film-era wide manual lenses I've tested for shifting on APS-C, the image circle has been very "tight". In other words, the lens designers made it just big enough to cover the 24x36mm of the film area. For example, the Olympus OM 18/3.5 vignettes heavily already on film and full frame; it had no extra image circle to allow for decent shifting.

It's interesting that Olympus used the 18mm f3.5 optical design for the 24mm f3.5 shift lens. Basically, they had to (optically) reduce the focal length to 24mm in order to increase the image circle enough to allow shifting.

Oct 27, 2017 at 06:35 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

I've read that elsewhere, so I can't explain what I saw empirically. No question though that the shorter the Olympus OM focal length (in the non-shift lenses), the worse the vignetting and shift capability on APS-C.

Can you "use" the design but scale it up somehow? I owned the OM 24mm shift lens briefly, and it certainly was a lot bigger than the 18/3.5.

molson wrote:
It's interesting that Olympus used the 18mm f3.5 optical design for the 24mm f3.5 shift lens. Basically, they had to (optically) reduce the focal length to 24mm in order to increase the image circle enough to allow shifting.

Oct 27, 2017 at 06:51 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

There have been 2 announcements on Fuji Rumors of development of EOS to XF adapters. I'm waiting for one of those to use my TSE-24/II on my X-T2. That is the one Canon lens I kept hoping that someday there would be an adapter.

Oct 27, 2017 at 07:55 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

rdeloe wrote:
Can you "use" the design but scale it up somehow?

Probably the same principle as the new Laowa converter:

http://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-magic-shift-converter/

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:02 PM
BG Ed

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

Really hoping for this. I am contemplating a large move from Canon to Fuji for most work, and I really need a good tilt shift option for professional architecture imaging. Right now the bulk of my work is with a Canon 5DIII and the 24mm TSE lens. If I could get that lens to work on my X-T2, I would be so happy (I think).

rsk7 wrote:
There have been 2 announcements on Fuji Rumors of development of EOS to XF adapters. I'm waiting for one of those to use my TSE-24/II on my X-T2. That is the one Canon lens I kept hoping that someday there would be an adapter.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

An adapter that could drive a Canon 24mm TSE on a Fuji camera would be very exciting.

In the meantime, I've been having good success with Olympus OM lenses on a Kipon tilt-shift adapter (plus one Canon FD 35/2.8 T/S lens):
http://www.robdeloephotography.com/Pages/Tiltshift-on-APSC

I wouldn't necessarily consider this an answer for someone doing this for a living, but the lenses I'm using are giving me very satisfactory results for a modest investment. Very wide angles of view are the gap in the lineup (hence the interest in the Laowa 12mm lens noted in an earlier post). I haven't tried it (and likely won't because I don't like that angle of view).

The sample image below was made with the OM 24/2.8 on my X-T2. In Lightroom, the girders are as sharp in the foreground as they are in the background, so what looks like a bit of softness in the foreground in this forum version is misleading.

BG Ed wrote:
Really hoping for this. I am contemplating a large move from Canon to Fuji for most work, and I really need a good tilt shift option for professional architecture imaging. Right now the bulk of my work is with a Canon 5DIII and the 24mm TSE lens. If I could get that lens to work on my X-T2, I would be so happy (I think).

OM 24/2.8 with tilt on Fuji X-T2

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:37 AM
daggah
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

What about the IRIX 11mm and 15mm lenses with a shift adapter? Anyone tried those?

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:31 AM
daggah
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

ckapl wrote:
I just aquired the Laowa 12mm (Canon mount so I can use it on my Canon system) and the Fotodiox shift adapter for Fuji X. So far the image circle seems big enough to allow full shifts (10 mm). I will be testing it extensivly and report back.

Any word on this?

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:55 AM
ckapl

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

Just finished processing my images I took in Bilbao with the Laowa 12mm and the Fotodiox shift adapter on the Fuji X-T2.
This lens works very well on the X-T2 and balances nicely; I shot most images between f 8,0 and f 11,0; you have to be careful with the focusing ring though because it's easy to turn. In general you can keep it pretty much between 3 m and infinity or even keep it at infinity. As promised by Laowa there is almost no distortion (see photos). I corrected the pictures only slightly but not for distortion.
Here are some images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqe7ddrrhu5lh0d/AAC3pkfV8RroWIW1BY4fwYi4a?dl=0

Nov 19, 2017 at 08:49 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tilt-Shift for Fuji X - any good solutions?

Well done! Some terrific images that show how well shift works with this lens. Thanks for posting.

ckapl wrote:
Just finished processing my images I took in Bilbao with the Laowa 12mm and the Fotodiox shift adapter on the Fuji X-T2.
This lens works very well on the X-T2 and balances nicely; I shot most images between f 8,0 and f 11,0; you have to be careful with the focusing ring though because it's easy to turn. In general you can keep it pretty much between 3 m and infinity or even keep it at infinity. As promised by Laowa there is almost no distortion (see photos). I corrected the pictures only slightly but not for distortion.
Here are some images:
...Show more

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password