New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Some day my prints will come...

Colin F
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some day my prints will come...

I have my own sign business, and have a $20,000.00 Roland printer which takes 54” wide media (52” wide printable area x unlimited length). I’ve used my Canon Pro-10 printer in the past for 13” x 19” prints, but I recently bought a 54” x 100’ roll of glossy photo paper for the big printer, and that opens up some exciting possibilities! Just yesterday I printed two 17” x 24” prints for a pair of 25” x 32” frames that I had kicking around, and am thrilled with the results.

It’s said that if you’re going to print (and attempt to sell) your images, then PRINT BIG, and I agree with this, as the large prints not only have real visual impact, but can also fetch the larger dollars. It’s tempting to now go out and buy some even larger frames and fill ‘em up, but my experience so far with trying to sell prints (and calendars for that matter) is that fewer & fewer people buy prints in this day & age of everything being viewed (for free) online. It's an endless conveyor belt of top-shelf images which get looked at for 2-3 seconds, then the viewer moves on; what's next, what's next, what's next? As a result, many have the attention span of a gnat, and the idea of hanging a framed print for 10 or 20 years is just an alien concept to the younger generations. There was a book written a few years ago called "The Shallows" which speaks about this, so Google that if you like.

Selling one’s prints in a store isn’t very appealing, as they generally want about 50%, so any ideas on how to succeed in selling “some” framed prints? I don’t expect to sell a lot, just enough to keep me excited about it.

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 04:20 PM · View previous versions

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:39 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some day my prints will come...

Make photos that appeal to octogenarians Anyone younger than that is too tech-savy

Seriously, look into selling photos for use in buildings—the kinds of things you see in lobbies and hallways of hotels, medical buildings, etc. I could see the rolling hills photo in the elevator lobby of a medical building.

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:55 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some day my prints will come...

c.d.embrey wrote:
Make photos that appeal to octogenarians Anyone younger than that is too tech-savy

Seriously, look into selling photos for use in buildings—the kinds of things you see in lobbies and hallways of hotels, medical buildings, etc. I could see the rolling hills photo in the elevator lobby of a medical building.

Older post I know, but if you are looking to sell prints to use in buildings then the best way I can think of is to look for where someone is just breaking ground. Hospitals these days are expanding like crazy with new medical facilities and doctors offices are going by the wayside because they can charge more being in the medical facility. (and like the quoted post mentions, they put lots of outdoor art on the walls) Anyway, the final artwork is never chosen when the plans are made. So go by, look at the sign, see who the architect is, who the project manager is and contact them to get in the door. Architects are like elephants and develop good working relationships with people who have done well for them in the past. My architect will ask me if I have anyone specific in mind for a given work but then will have someone they can use. Be that person.

Apr 25, 2017 at 01:36 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some day my prints will come...

Yep, print BIG.

Michael Kenna prints 8 inches square.

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:47 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password