Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

BearPhotoNYC

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

Still new to photography and I just purchased a sony a7r ii and a 24-70mm f2.8 gm lens.

I was hoping to use it to record videos along with pictures. I never realized how heavy the lens is and I don't think it would be wise to put it on a stabilizer for an extended amount of time.

I'm thinking of purchasing a lens that can shoot full frame 35mm at a buget. Wondering if there's a budget option available. I've seen people use some old canon lens for this. Any budget options recommendations?

Still learning about everything.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:01 PM
azenis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

What focal length are you looking? Pretty much the entire Sony line up except the GM/F1.4 ZAs are all quite affordable. And they are quite good too.

If it's 35mm, the ZA 35mm F2.8 is quite good. And can be had for a bargain second hand.

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:34 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

Depends on your "budget".

The C/Y Zeiss 35mm is very good. Samyang makes an F1.4 35mm that's also very good. Both are inexpensive (though the SY is huge compared to the Zeiss).

Both are manual focus, and are priced accordingly.

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:50 PM
BearPhotoNYC

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040176-REG/rokinon_rk35m_e_35mm_hd_f1_4_photo.html

was this the one u were referring to?

I was thinking of the sony 35mm f2.8 it seems small and good originally. But thinking of saving some money hoping to get something in the $200-350 range.

originally I was thinking of this

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-canon-new-fd-35mm-12-8/

with a cheap adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Adapter-FD-NEX-E-Mount-Camera/dp/B00LECYIWE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1489209807&sr=8-1&keywords=k&f+canon+fd+adapter&linkCode=sl1&tag=phillipreeven-20&linkId=31dc9660abee496ea4dc47ccc980edba

$100 or so ?

Or i can see if i can get a tripod mount ring and see if i can attach it to the stablizer.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

Yep. That's the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35mm.

That Canon seems like it might be the ticket for a decent budget-conscious solution.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

BearPhotoNYC wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040176-REG/rokinon_rk35m_e_35mm_hd_f1_4_photo.html

was this the one u were referring to?

I was thinking of the sony 35mm f2.8 it seems small and good originally. But thinking of saving some money hoping to get something in the $200-350 range.

originally I was thinking of this

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-canon-new-fd-35mm-12-8/

with a cheap adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Adapter-FD-NEX-E-Mount-Camera/dp/B00LECYIWE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1489209807&sr=8-1&keywords=k&f+canon+fd+adapter&linkCode=sl1&tag=phillipreeven-20&linkId=31dc9660abee496ea4dc47ccc980edba

$100 or so ?

Or i can see if i can get a tripod mount ring and see if i can attach it to the stablizer.

There are lots of cheaper options for video even FF 35mm 4K. My favourites are Minolta MD/MC lenses. I would start with the 55 f/1.7 that Phillip also reviews. You could add to that the 35 f/1.8 (get the latest MD version with the 49mm ring), and an MD 85 f/1.7. All of these are inexpensive and good performers. If you want to really get into video think about getting and using a follow focus and de click the aperture of the lens so you can change exposure while shooting. It costs about $200 per lens to get them set up properly for video, but it will be worth it if you stretch what you are doing. Great other Minolta lenses to get are the MD 28 f/2 (again the latest with the 49mm filter) and the lovely 135 f/2 (this costs a bit more but is a very good lens). That would give you a very good 5 lens kit for video all with apertures between f/1.7 and f/2. If you can expand you budget a bit other good options are a set of Leica R lenses or a set of Zeiss Contax/Yashica mount lenses, but they would be more money. If the budget can go higher yet, the Loxia lenses are a superb option and designed for both the Sony A7 series cameras and video,

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM
BearPhotoNYC

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

this is a really noob question but with the manual focus option. If i were to put it on a stabilizer would the sony a7r ii be able to focus by itself?

"you could add to that the 35 f/1.8 (get the latest MD version with the 49mm ring)" < got a link? =)

This seems like a cheaper option than buying the 35 f2.8 sony lens. THe only thing i worry about is focus as i cannot be adjusing the focus as im going with the stablizer. The lens also has to lighter than the current lens i have sony 24-70mm

Will shooting video with these lens be full frame? sorry another noob question

Thank you guys!!

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sympa

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

No, a lens that is not AF will not autofocus. Period. Unless you have the Techart adapter that includes a motor. But that is really not something for a beginner to use.
So - you have the 24-70 f/2,8 GM lens. One of the best lenses. I assume you need the 35mm for lower weight and not better image quality? Perhaps you can use the 28mm f/2, or is that too wide?

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:26 PM
BearPhotoNYC

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

the 24-70 gm is a bit too heavy to be mounted on a Gimbal/tripod. I was looking at the 35mm for the lower weight. I thought of the 28mm f2 but i saw there is some barrel distortions? People recommend to get the 35mm f2.8 instead

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

There's this... cheap eBay 35/2 for Sony. I've never used it so I can't comment on IQ, but it's certainly a budget option.

Personally, I'd go with the new FD 35/2- relatively small, light, and a known good performer.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:48 PM
B1ackbird

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

So the only reason is that you are concerned about the weight in connection with a tripod?
Is a better tripod not another option than?

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM
BearPhotoNYC

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

well mainly putting it on a gimbal stablizier

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:43 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

I'm not sure I follow your question about focus. I don't do video, only photos, so forgive the question... But is there something about the gimbal stabilizer that keeps you from focusing? A cage of some kind?

People certainly do manually focus video, but I don't know if they are working with different equipment. I use manual focus almost full time (only own one AF lens) and I'm able to manual focus on musicians moving around in dark bars at high ISOs (6400 on up). This is a skill that can be learned if you're interested.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:54 AM
BearPhotoNYC

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony E mount full frame 35mm budget options?

arduluth wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your question about focus. I don't do video, only photos, so forgive the question... But is there something about the gimbal stabilizer that keeps you from focusing? A cage of some kind?

People certainly do manually focus video, but I don't know if they are working with different equipment. I use manual focus almost full time (only own one AF lens) and I'm able to manual focus on musicians moving around in dark bars at high ISOs (6400 on up). This is a skill that can be learned if you're interested.

oh it will be mounting on this
https://www.amazon.com/IMORDEN-Handheld-Stabilizer-Panasonic-50mm-Quick/dp/B00QIBGWUW/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1490064687&sr=8-41&keywords=dslr%2Bstabilizer&th=1

You basically cannot touch the camera as your running etc.

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password