New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

So, I have a lot of bags, as I'm sure many people here do. However, I have never been able to find a bag that maintains a relatively small footprint, yet has individual spaces for 5 or 6 lenses.

I use a Domke F-2 for my Sony kit, and can easily get 5 lenses in there (and could do more in the pockets if I wanted to), but that's a fairly large bag, and while it works fine for my FF kit, for my Fuji kit, with generally smaller lenses, something of that size is a fair bit of overkill.

Right now, I'm using a Think tank Suburban Disguise 20 for my Fuji kit, which fits my 55-200 and a body with three other lenses with ease. However, I very often want that 5th lens, and it's really hard to do with this bag. Alas, all the other bags I have are lacking on some way: Retrospective 5, which holds my m4/3 kit, but still only does 4 lenses, and only that with the tiny m4/3 glass. Mirrorless Mover 30i: again, 4 lenses+body, and a bit too small for the thicker Fuji lenses like the 56/1.2 and 55-200 (has my APS-C Sony stuff in it now): Tenba Messenger - this is the closest, and used to be what I carried my Sony kit in: it can do 5 lenses plus a body, but it's a fair bit taller than I need for the Fuji lenses, so it's wasted space.

Any suggestions?

Mar 18, 2017 at 08:51 PM
Mar73
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Check out the Peak Design Everyday Sling. I've had mine for two weeks and am loving it. You could easily have a lens attached to your Fuji and carry four other lenses in the main compartment and there is room for a pancake lens or two in either of the other zipper pouches.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Thanks for the suggestion! I knew they had the messenger series, but that is a bit too tall..I didn't know about this bag before. I found a review of the sling from a Fuji shooter, and it looks like it might be perfect. I'll have to check this out further. Thanks again!

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM
elfanucchi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

I make my own custom bags.
Buy Domke or equivalent inserts for my intended equipment carry ...
Then a discontinued/discounted luggage style bag from one of the luggage discounted stores.
I get the customization and interchangeability I want at a great price .. less than $40 ..
The luggage stores have higher quality bags than camera stores IMO.
You are the Engineer ..

Mar 19, 2017 at 01:00 PM
Meann-Machine

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Shoulder bag, backpack, traditional bag, suitcase style? I was looking for a bag that would maximize my ability to carry equipment on my Bike or on a plane and came up with the Vanguard Divider bag 40. Its listed by Vanguard as a "liner" but it provides as good as, or better protection than any of my other camera bags. Fits 2 DSLR bodies and 5-7 lenses depending on size. Go directly to Vanguard. Hard to beat their direct price.

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:28 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Meann-Machine wrote:
Shoulder bag, backpack, traditional bag, suitcase style? I was looking for a bag that would maximize my ability to carry equipment on my Bike or on a plane and came up with the Vanguard Divider bag 40. Its listed by Vanguard as a "liner" but it provides as good as, or better protection than any of my other camera bags. Fits 2 DSLR bodies and 5-7 lenses depending on size. Go directly to Vanguard. Hard to beat their direct price.

Shoulder bag / messenger are both fine. I work out of the bag while carrying.

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Fred Amico
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

This series might be of interest to you. I have the SH 200, but you can get smaller as well. The advantage for me is that with the external attachment loops, I can reconfigure (add/subtract) depending upon my intended shoot:

http://www.lowepro.com/protactic

Mar 19, 2017 at 06:47 PM
foto16

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Domke F-6 is a smaller F-2 and can hold 1 mirrorless body + 5 lenses. Billingham Hadley Pro can also hold a lot. For Suburban Disguise 20, it looks if you stack small lenses on top of each other, you can bring more.

There are two types of shoulder bags: the messenger bag style is narrow and tall. They hug the body better but you need to stack lenses to utilize all the space. The traditional style camera bags are wide and boxy. They don't hug the body well when carrying but they are easy to shoot from.

If I were to take 5-6 lenses, I would general prefer a backpack for comfort.

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:44 PM
rdeloe
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

I highly recommend the ThinkTank Retrospective line. Avoid the black ones. They're ugly and really show the dirt! I have a model 5 in the greenish colour and a model 7 in the bluish colour. They look sharp, are cleverly designed, and hold a ton of gear. Both models come with a separate rain shield that you can carry or leave behind as you like.

I use my Retrospective 5 when I'm carrying a Fuji X-T2, with Fuji 14/2.8, 23/2, 35/2 and 60/2.4. When I want to also carry my Fuji 90/2 I transfer everything into the Retrospective 7. It holds all 5 lenses no problem. (Note that the big zooms would not work as well).

Each one can also hold the bits and pieces, e.g., I put four filters in a B&H filter pouch that fits into each bag. When I'm using the 7 and feel like carrying a monopod, it tucks under the flap securely.

The key to making this all work is double-ended lens caps! I'm using the ones from OP/Tech. The 90/2 rides alone, but the other four lenses double-up on these caps. They're not perfect in that they're a bit hard to get on and off. However, once they're mounted they're solid, and they have a rubber O-ring which is a nice added feature to seal your lenses at the mount end.

The Retrospectives aren't perfect. The flaps are held down with velcro. If you use the full surface area, they are held down very securely... but make a huge ripping sound when you open the bag. "Silencers" are included, which you can use to either completely disable the velcro, or do what I do (which is leave about 1 cm exposed so that the flaps close and hold shut, and can open easily. I'm debating modifying the bags with a separate mechanical clasp or buckle (but probably won't because my solution with the silencer works).

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

I'll second the Peak Everyday Sling for your needs. It's just about perfect for your kit with 5 lenses, presuming one will be on the camera. The Billingham Hadley Pro is a great bag, but will be a bit too small for your lenses plus the width of your camera body. With my Sony A7, bracket, and any lens mounted, there was only room for 4 very small SLR or rangefinder lenses. The Sling has sufficient width and depth for larger lenses. The origami dividers are great for lens stacking, much more versatile than I thought they'd be. My only gripe with the Sling is that while the expandable front pocket is quite spacious, the opening is tight and could have used some gussets to make the opening larger when expanded.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:30 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

I think the Peak Sling is along the lines of what you are looking for. I just got the Everyday Backpack 20L and it is a very well made bag. You won't find better quality. For the weight you are carrying, a sling bag should suffice.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:42 AM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Still using an old LowePro Omni-Sport bag which I then put in a backpack. Holds my Sony A7R with Zeiss Loxia 21mm on camera. Voigtlander 15mm, Sony 55mm, adapted Nikon 100mm lens, and Samyang 8mm fisheye. Can still find spots for a filter and a battery.

I think the fStop small shallow ICU is similar in size.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

WestTexas Sky wrote:
I think the fStop small shallow ICU is similar in size.

This looks great from a capacity standpoint. It does look like the whole front opens, though, which is a no-go, as I do a lot of shooting in the city, and I work out of the bag while wearing it. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM
hokiejokey
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Whatever you do, don't use your wife's purse. It's definitely NOT mirrorless.

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:00 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

So I checked out the Peak Everyday Sling today and picked it up. it's just a bit wider than my Suburban Disguise 20 (which is perfect), but essentially the same in the other dimensions. I plopped in an extra divider from another bag and I can actually fit 6 lenses in there with that extra divider. It's a pretty nice bag, and more comfortable than a lot of sling packs I've tried. We'll see how well it carries the gear when slung, as I'm a little worried about the stacked lenses jumping around when slung on my back, but given how well the dividers look to be, I don't think it'll be a major issue.

Thanks to all who helped!

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:47 AM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

What I actually like about that style is everything is easier to access. But I can see not wanting that in the city.

There is a Tenba BYOB line the is similar in size but opens on short side. I have the 9 which holds two DSLR lenses with adapter and my A7S. The 10 or larger might work.

Jman13 wrote:
This looks great from a capacity standpoint. It does look like the whole front opens, though, which is a no-go, as I do a lot of shooting in the city, and I work out of the bag while wearing it. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Mar73
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

Jman13 wrote:
So I checked out the Peak Everyday Sling today and picked it up. it's just a bit wider than my Suburban Disguise 20 (which is perfect), but essentially the same in the other dimensions. I plopped in an extra divider from another bag and I can actually fit 6 lenses in there with that extra divider. It's a pretty nice bag, and more comfortable than a lot of sling packs I've tried. We'll see how well it carries the gear when slung, as I'm a little worried about the stacked lenses jumping around when slung on my back, but given
...Show more

Maybe we'll see a review on your website soon? The sling is nearly perfect for what I wanted it for. Hope you have a similar experience.

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:28 AM
Smackeral

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mirrorless bag that will hold 5 lenses

I've gone though so many bags, I'm guessing like most of us, and I finally settled on the Everyday Messenger. I originally got the 13 but also picked up the 15 after using the 13 for a short while. I'm surprised at how well it functions.

Mar 27, 2017 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password