Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

razuto22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

I'm shooting a formal for my school for the first time. I've never really had experience with a big event before. I've got a Canon 5D Mark III. Lenses that I could potentially use are my Canon 24-105 f/4 (maybe to slow in a dark room setting) and my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (too zoomed for a room?).

I don't own a softbox or a remote trigger. I do have a Yungnao external flash though. From others, people have said I could just bounce the flash off of the ceiling because they are pretty low.

Should I purchase a soft box with a stand and some triggers? Or should I just buy a dimpy little softbox that goes over my flash while it is on my camera? I guess it's worth mentioning that the venue is the top of a sky scraper with windows everywhere.

Also, should I rent 24-70 f/2.8?

Thanks!

THIS IS THE VENUE: https://www.google.com/search?q=skydeck+99th+floor&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj36Mf6zODSAhXIwBQKHcDhBysQ_AUIBigB&biw=1229&bih=607

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

Bounce of the ceiling, watch your angles to avoid reflections in windows
24-105 is ideal
Get a backup body, lens and flash

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:22 PM
razuto22

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

InSanE wrote:
Bounce of the ceiling, watch your angles to avoid reflections in windows
24-105 is ideal
Get a backup body, lens and flash

What is the ideal angle? And just shoot at f/4 the whole night?

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:46 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

It depends what you're shooting. If you're doing portraits then you certainly need a softbox or umbrella or some kind of diffusion. If you're running and gunning just shooting candid around the room, then you want a medium-wide lens and bouncing off the ceiling or walls will be good.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the 24-105. Set your exposure for the ambient that you want behind your subjects. f/4, 1/160, ISO 800 would probably be a good start. Set the flash to TTL and bounce it off the ceiling and you'll probably be good.

You can run into problems shooting subjects who are a long distance from you when bouncing flash of the ceiling right above you. Inverse square law.

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:48 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

What is the ideal angle? And just shoot at f/4 the whole night?

f4 iso 1600 1/160 all night long
45.674 degrees is ideal
position yourself to where you would not be able to see the ceiling in a window reflection

Mar 18, 2017 at 05:03 PM
razuto22

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

BSPhotog wrote:
It depends what you're shooting. If you're doing portraits then you certainly need a softbox or umbrella or some kind of diffusion. If you're running and gunning just shooting candid around the room, then you want a medium-wide lens and bouncing off the ceiling or walls will be good.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the 24-105. Set your exposure for the ambient that you want behind your subjects. f/4, 1/160, ISO 800 would probably be a good start. Set the flash to TTL and bounce it off the ceiling and you'll probably be good.

You can run
...Show more

Thank you for your help!!

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM
razuto22

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

InSanE wrote:
f4 iso 1600 1/160 all night long
45.674 degrees is ideal
position yourself to where you would not be able to see the ceiling in a window reflection

Thank you!!

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 99th Floor of Sears Tower Venue

bring extra flash batteries!

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.