end

Archive 2017 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

conyon wrote:
5dsr not good for astro, why is that?

Because the noise level is hideous. as bad as a crop camera really. Canon have optimised it for low ISO resolution

Mar 18, 2017 at 05:22 PM
kirbic

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

dgdg wrote:
How do you like the ioptron Pro?
Have you done anything longer than 2 min?

There are a lot of things to like about the iOptron Pro. As far as features per dollar, it is hard to beat. It doesn't take up a lot of room in the luggage, so it is a solution that I can take on vacation with me, and that is a *huge* win. I do suspect that I need to do some collimation of the polar scope. I'll experiment some more when we get some warmer weather and clearer skies.
I've done some exposures up to 4 minutes with good results. I've also used focal lengths up to 100mm, at which point alignment is pretty darn critical, and had mixed results, but I don't think it was the unit's fault :-)
I love the built-in rechargeable battery.
In general, I don't think that individual exposures of more than 2 minutes are really required often; more often than not, the sky background will be above the noise floor at 2 minutes, often shorter.

Mar 18, 2017 at 05:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Very cool. I wish Ian at lonely spec would review it.
You could get the qhy polemaster, but you would need a little Windows tablet to run the software. At least then you could see how far off the ioptron scope is. I didn't think you could collimate those scopes.

In dark skies at f2.8 I usually hit the proper histogram peak around 4 minutes. If I could use the ioptron pro for four minutes at 35mm or less with sharp round stars that'd be nice. I went with an Astrotrac several years ago but I'd like something small for those times when I'm not planning on Astro.

Mar 18, 2017 at 06:53 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

dgdg wrote:
Issac,
For timelpase do you have time to switch out batteries and keep it going? Not having done any, I had assumed the switch out would cause a weird jump in the movie. I do find the tether tool battery setup convenient. It's one less thing to check.

I never had any dew at Arches NP. On the east coast, I'm just happy if a low ground fog layer never forms below the clear skies. Dew straps are pretty essential for me. If the death valley dew point is way below the predicted low temp, you'd prob be fine without one. They
...Show more

I've tried once; or at least, a lens swap (10 seconds isn't enough, but 15 is getting better), battery swap would be faster than that, but haven't had to really. Was just experimenting with them really, ideally the batter will last, and no one should ever need to do a lens swap

Ming, In terms of hand warmers, I've tried a few times, with various success, tin foil wrapped around the lens with an adhesive hand warmer inside seems to work, but really need to get a proper dew heater for longer/more regular attempts

An example of when I don't have anything to keep the lens clear: (Am I allowed to link like this?)
https://gfycat.com/SimilarForsakenArcticseal

Mar 18, 2017 at 08:33 PM
kirbic

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

dgdg wrote:
Very cool. I wish Ian at lonely spec would review it.
You could get the qhy polemaster, but you would need a little Windows tablet to run the software. At least then you could see how far off the ioptron scope is. I didn't think you could collimate those scopes.

In dark skies at f2.8 I usually hit the proper histogram peak around 4 minutes. If I could use the ioptron pro for four minutes at 35mm or less with sharp round stars that'd be nice. I went with an Astrotrac several years ago but I'd like something small for
...Show more

I think 4 minutes at those FLs is very doable. May require a little trial and error in fine adjustment of the alignment to nail it, but not that much of a challenge.
I've always really liked the Astrotrac, and would have bought one instead but the iOptron seemed adequate for WA, and it is very compact.

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:17 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

conyon wrote:
5dsr not good for astro, why is that?

RobDickinson wrote:
Because the noise level is hideous. as bad as a crop camera really. Canon have optimised it for low ISO resolution

Do you have any examples? And, does your assertion apply to same-sized prints (even though I realize the 5Ds was brought up for its increased resolution)?

7DII is postulated at Clarkvision as having some of the best astrophotography characteristics of any Canon sensor, and the pixel size is virtually the same as the 5Ds. Wish Roger would look at the 5Ds.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Jeff wrote:
Do you have any examples? And, does your assertion apply to same-sized prints (even though I realize the 5Ds was brought up for its increased resolution)?

7DII is postulated at Clarkvision as having some of the best astrophotography characteristics of any Canon sensor, and the pixel size is virtually the same as the 5Ds. Wish Roger would look at the 5Ds.

I used the 5dsr last summer for some astro (milky way) photography and had fine results with it. I have a gorgeous 20 x30" print on metal hanging in my living room.. No visible noise. The noise isn't quite as well controlled as my 1DX but it's close. It's easily as good if not a bit better than my 5d3. I'll show a 5dsr image shot at ISO 6400 30 seconds at F2 with a 35mm F1.4 lens. Processed in DPP with no sharpening or NR.

Full image

viewed at 100% upper right corner

Edited on Mar 21, 2017 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:20 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

My experience with the 5DSR for astro led me to conclude that it rendered the sky and stars really nicely - just as you've shown above. However, when I've tried to pull detail out of the land, I've seen a lot of noise and color banding in the shadows. Your shot is helped by the fact that you left the ground as a silhouette.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

kylebarendrick wrote:
My experience with the 5DSR for astro led me to conclude that it rendered the sky and stars really nicely - just as you've shown above. However, when I've tried to pull detail out of the land, I've seen a lot of noise and color banding in the shadows. Your shot is helped by the fact that you left the ground as a silhouette.

I've done that also and 5dsr is no worse than the 5d3 I used prior, and not far behind the 1dx.. In fact the 20 x 30" print I referenced is such an image and FG looks fine.I stand by my findings.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Fair enough - I've had good days (I guess nights actually) and bad with my 5DSR, to the point where I trust my 6D more.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:23 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

kylebarendrick wrote:
Fair enough - I've had good days (I guess nights actually) and bad with my 5DSR, to the point where I trust my 6D more.

Yes 6d is very good for night photography. I was just responding to the the premise that the 5dsr can't do night photography.. That is not my experience at all.

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:26 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

kylebarendrick wrote:

I know this is a near-dead thread, but I've learned a lot about shooting astro with the 5Ds in the last year (maybe what I've learned can help another 5Ds astro shooter out), and categorically decrying it crappy for astro might be a bit off base (not you Kyle, the thread and internet in general). It was a challenging camera for daytime shooters when it first came out (bringing out deficiencies in lenses in daytime is notably harder than doing so at night!), and it certainly remains so for nighttime shooters, even now.

That being said, the 5Ds does indeed have fixed-pattern noise (like most Canon CMOS sensors), and the challenge is choosing the right ISO for the ambient shooting temperature (can you say: "Whack-A-Mole"?). I waited a year to capture a specific image of the Perseids in Utah and was confounded by very high nighttime temperatures that made the pattern noise in the image untenable. That prompted me to go through 3 years worth of astro images made with the 5Ds, and try to find a cause for the 'variable' results I seemed to get.

To make a long story short, if you are routinely getting fixed-pattern noise in your 5Ds astro images, you are likely shooting at too low an ISO (unless it's freezing out, 1600 is too low, I can assure you). Canon sensors have historically had nasty fixed pattern noise even at 'lower' ISOs (400, 800), it's just that it isn't usually revealed until you really, really push the shadows (which we obviously try/need not to do with daytime images). With astro, 99% of our images are in the shadows, and thus it is very easy to reveal the dark side of Canon's CMOS technology.

After going through my eval, I decided that I'll trade decreasing dynamic range (from raising ISO) for a decrease in fixed-pattern noise, any day of the week!

Do I want a 5DsII that has better DR and less pattern noise? Absolutely! But I'd bet that my 50MP 'noisy' Milky Way image is at least in the ballpark of a 20-30MP image from a modern-tech Canon sensor, given similar print size (not talking about deep-sky imaging here). Do I have to jump through hoops to get there? A bit, but very fine astro images can be made with a 5Ds, especially using a faster, less-wide lens, and stitching. Yes, it's a lot of work, but most good astro image are.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:11 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Astrophotography with 6D vs 5D mark IV

Jeff wrote:
I know this is a near-dead thread, but I've learned a lot about shooting astro with the 5Ds in the last year (maybe what I've learned can help another 5Ds astro shooter out), and categorically decrying it crappy for astro might be a bit off base (not you Kyle, the thread and internet in general). It was a challenging camera for daytime shooters when it first came out (bringing out deficiencies in lenses in daytime is notably harder than doing so at night!), and it certainly remains so for nighttime shooters, even now.

That being said, the 5Ds does indeed
...Show more

Good thoughts. I typically shoot my MW images at ISO 6400 as I've found that usually works for me. As you noted, I learned that I need to be somewhat careful with the 5DSR when shooting MW images. The first time I tried it, it was a warm (80F) evening and I was able to clearly see the noise in the ground later increase from image to image in my sequence of shots. I'm currently using the EOS R as my night camera and it has been performing that task well.

Jun 27, 2019 at 01:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.