Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

A few Hockey Posters

tjbel05
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few Hockey Posters

I do the photography for our local H.S. hockey teams. The boosters pay for Senior action posters. This is from this year. It is the first time I have done a composite like this. Purchased the template and had fun!

tjbel05 2017

tjbel05 2017

Mar 17, 2017 at 09:09 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few Hockey Posters

First, thank you for posting. There are many of us out here that are looking for creative inspiration and direction to create posters and collages. These are really well done. Having said that, I do have a few nits (and they ARE just nits).

First and foremost is the face-mask cutouts (or lack thereof) on #2 and #3 and the missed cutout under the arm of the main shot on #3. These need to be finished properly. Did you cut these out yourself or did you send them out to a third party service? If you did them yourself, what software did you use?

Is the white splash (for lack of a better choice of description) in the lower left-center a separate layer? If so, I would move it a bit to the right on the second poster so it's more centered on the lower image (as it is on the other two). The last nit is with the main image on the first poster. The red horizontal lines in front of his pants make him look like he's wearing a kilt. Again, I think this is a simple layer issue and the player layer needs to be moved in front of those lines.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the number font, but the more times I look at these the more it works for me. LOVE the name font at the bottom and I must say that if you paid for these templates it was money well spent. The overall look is very impressive.

Again, thanks for posting these! Great stuff.

Gary

Mar 18, 2017 at 07:41 PM
glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few Hockey Posters

Most impressive but as someone aspiring to do this level of work, the first thing that comes to mind is how much time do you invest in each one of these and what are you charging for them ( if you'd be willing to share pubicly or privately?)

I love the concept but for me it would HAVE to pay a good hourly return in making them up. A lof of what I have seen people doing like this seems to be sold horribly cheap by my way of thinking for the time and effort involved.

Like some other work shown here, where I am this stuff would sell like hot cakes because no one is doing it and it would be a real standout people would lap up.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:17 AM
tjbel05
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few Hockey Posters

Thank you. The white cut out under the arm was a HUGE miss on my part. Not likely to happen again. the face mask one was left that way on purpose. I felt like i would completely butcher it if I tried to remove it. I did it myself and I use Photoshop.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few Hockey Posters

tjbel05 wrote:
Thank you. The white cut out under the arm was a HUGE miss on my part. Not likely to happen again. the face mask one was left that way on purpose. I felt like i would completely butcher it if I tried to remove it. I did it myself and I use Photoshop.

It's a tough one but you should probably do it if you want it looking professional. There are companies that will do your extraction for your for a couple of bucks or less and have it back to you in 24 hours or less. Let me know know if interested.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM
tjbel05
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few Hockey Posters

I would love the names of those companies. Thank you.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few Hockey Posters

It's almost like cheating to use third party - the prices are ridiculously low. You cut these out yourself in Photoshop so you know what kind of time it takes. There are two choices I have tried, both were under $2.00 per image (yes, you read that right) and they do a great job.

Rebooku.com and Photoshopit.com are the two I used this year - both were equally excellent and similarly priced. I'm pretty sure Paul (P Alesse) is a Rebooku guy, but I'll let him check in with that info. I'm a ham-and-egger compared to him, so his recommendation should carry far more weight. In any case, it will make those posters MUCH more fun to create. My workflow for those would be to make rough cutouts (and I mean ROUGH - no more than a minute each) so you can put them on the template and size/arrange to taste, then send those images off to be extracted once you're satisfied with the look. When the images come back you simply plug them in and delete the rough ones as you go and you're done. That way you don't have to try to remember how you had them arranged on your draft copy.

I believe both sites I mentioned give you a few free images as a trial, so if $2.00 a throw is more than you want to spend to be convinced, you can be persuaded for free (and you WILL be persuaded). Run, don't walk, to either (or both) of those sites and give it a go.

FYI - if you should, for some reason down the road, decide you need to cut out those masks (or something similar), I have found the best method is to zoom in as tight as you can on the image, size your brush to match the width of the bars in the mask, click on one end of a bar then move the cursor to the other end and shift+click. It will mask a straight line from your first point to your second. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the face mask and voila!

All the best!
Gary

Mar 24, 2017 at 04:24 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password