New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Off brand L Brackets?

spork3127
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off brand L Brackets?

Has anyone used any off brand L brackets? I've been using Kirk and would like to add one to a recently purchased 5DM3 but forgot how expensive the name brands like Kirk, RRS, etc. can be. In looking for a gently used one, I've found some off brand L brackets on eBay for $50.00 and under, but I don't exactly want my gear on something that won't last just to save a little bit of money. Some look cheap and unreliable while others look like an equivalent to RRS/Kirk from an appearance stand point. Thanks for any info!

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off brand L Brackets?

Some of the off brand L brackets might turn out OK, but it is seriously hard to tell without buying one and using it to find out. I had a friend that bought a very low cost off brand bracket that was "custom designed" for a specific Canon camera, and it would not mount on the camera, because the mounting screw location was about 0.1 inches off.

For a real Really Right Stuff L bracket for the 5D3, the lowest priced one on eBay at this moment is $65, but I have seen many go by in the last month at less than that. If you have the time, look for a good deal on a used RRS or Kirk L bracket, knowing that it will function well and last for ever. Besides eBay, also check KEH, which has a lot of RRS items.

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off brand L Brackets?

Have used two different off brand L-brackets for an X-E2 and X-T1. Both fit and finish were good, and have had no issues with either, with over a year's worth of use with one, and two + years with the other.

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:36 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off brand L Brackets?

I've used RRS and some cheap, off-brand brackets. Depends what you want. The cheap ones technically work but some are a bit wobbly and others are not. Some have a "rough" finish compared to the nice ones. Not a big deal but paying a ton for a camera and then slapping a $30 piece of aluminum on there seems wrong. Of course, I have tried but in the end I always go back to the good stuff having paid my cheap-out tax along the way. On the other hand, if it is a backup camera or something you just want to try then the knockoffs are a great bargain.

Mar 17, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off brand L Brackets?

I always use them I can't see paying two to three or more times for a piece of metal. I've had one that wouldn't tighten all the way with my lever clamps but I bought it used and it works great with the screw clamps.

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:01 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off brand L Brackets?

I've used Neewer L-Brackets on an A7r and A7 cameras and they've been excellent. I've never owned RRS, which I'm sure is terrific... but for what it is my Neewer bracket was perfect -- nicely machined, no play, cheap. No complaints.

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off brand L Brackets?

I have a Kirk and a no-name L-bracket for my two bodies, and while the Kirk is certainly nicer, I'm not convinced that it's $100 nicer.

C

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:55 PM
wildwildwes

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Off brand L Brackets?

I have a "SUNWAYFOTO PSL-a7IINR L Plate for Sony Alpha-7II a7RII Camera Arca / RRS" permanently mounted on my A7R2. It cost me $59.00 shipped on Amazon and it is SUPERB. There is absolutely nothing "better" or superior about any of the more expensive L brackets in comparison to the Sunwayfoto (and yes, I checked).

And, that said, a friend of mine was lamenting that his RSS L bracket for his A7R2 did not have provision for removing the battery without being forced first to remove the bracket! Anyone with an A7R2 knows it eats batteries, so having a quick change solution is a necessity so to speak. Well, woo-hoo because the Sunwayfoto was designed with this necessary convenience in mind. No need to remove anything...

Finally, the machining quality, aluminum stock, fit and finish is absolutely superb. Oh, and btw, my friend ordered the same bracket and is thrilled with it. Anyone need his RSS?!?

Cheers-

Wes

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Off brand L Brackets?

And, that said, a friend of mine was lamenting that his RSS L bracket for his A7R2 did not have provision for removing the battery without being forced first to remove the bracket! Anyone with an A7R2 knows it eats batteries, so having a quick change solution is a necessity so to speak. Well, woo-hoo because the Sunwayfoto was designed with this necessary convenience in mind. No need to remove anything...

that would be incorrect information:

they actually have 2 variations and neither block battery access. the above is but one.

do you really thing they would design them w/o battery access?

I really do dislike misinformation

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:26 AM
Blueshound
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Off brand L Brackets?

rdeloe wrote:
I've used Neewer L-Brackets on an A7r and A7 cameras and they've been excellent. I've never owned RRS, which I'm sure is terrific... but for what it is my Neewer bracket was perfect -- nicely machined, no play, cheap. No complaints.

+1. Have had 2 of these, the first was for an A7r and then again for an A7rII. Essentially perfect, no complaints. Smooth finishes, proper fit, provision to easily change batteries.

Brian

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:49 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Off brand L Brackets?

I recently picked up a RRS L bracket for my 5DII off Ebay for $20. Granted my old girl is fairly obsolete now but.

If I would have lost the bid, I would have probably grabbed a 3rd party bracket. I refuse to spend $140 on a piece of aluminum that simply bolts to a camera and has two A/S dovetails.
That's what I call stupid money because it has zero effect on IQ. I'm sure there are super cheap brackets made out of nasty pot metal that could potentially fail if abused and cause a catastrophic loss of your equipment, but the same could happen with a high dollar item with a hidden defect.

And the arguments you hear like "well I spent $3500 on the body and another $2000 on the lens so it only makes sense to pay up the yin-yang for a pretty aluminum bracket to bolt onto it" fails miserably in the justification dept IMO.
I'd rather use the savings to put in my gas tank to go out some place to do some shooting.

Dave

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Off brand L Brackets?

everyone has their point of reference and limits.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM
hulgar
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Off brand L Brackets?

I had a SUNWAYPHOTO L bracket on my 5D3 that was fine. Fit w/no problems.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Off brand L Brackets?

I go RRS or Kirk for all my camera plates. I am not a fan of L brackets but do get the regular plates, but the idea is the same. They have a custom fit for the camera. They work exceptionally well with precise cut outs for battery access. I know I can rely on them.

I did not spend $$$$ for my cameras and lenses to save a few bucks on an eBay bracket. But YMMV.

Good luck.

Mar 18, 2017 at 04:23 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.