FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." said the White Queen to Alice....while this quote was used this morning by Gloria Borger relating to @POTUS I thought it appropriate for what I would have considered impossible not all that long ago related to high ISO photography. Getting a quite usable image at ISO 16,000 today whereas 1600 was considered too high for most camera systems in the not too distant past is astounding. I think we often take for granted the innovations and cast aspersions on the companies that make what we use and only look for the technical flaws....we've come a long long way in a very short time.
Now, if can only find five more impossible things, my day will be complete!
Eric

1 Lion at iso 16,000
https://photos.smugmug.com/Vumbura-2016/i-nwhRsXL/0/X2/A87I0033maleliondrinking-X2.jpg

2 Lip smacking lion at iso 12,800
https://photos.smugmug.com/Vumbura-2016/i-78mNqF7/0/X2/A87I0004lmalelionlickinglips-X2.jpg

Mar 17, 2017 at 01:50 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

12,800 looks very good to me. 16,000 is still pushing it, but compared to times past is amazing ~ Ron

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:53 PM
Archibald
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Agreed that photography today is amazing. Like 4000 raw photos on a memory card the size of a postage stamp.

Nice shots of the lion.

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:17 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Eric, this looks way cleaner than my 1D4's 3200 ISO. Beautiful.

-Tam

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:22 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

thanks for sharing the ISO info, question for you is why did you need this high ISO? The others on the forum may already know why, so I do feel a little stupid about asking, but I would never learn if I did not ask, right?

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

haha.. I was looking to use that line in my daily conversation in some droll way, and you beat me to it!

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:34 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

kdacharya wrote:
thanks for sharing the ISO info, question for you is why did you need this high ISO? The others on the forum may already know why, so I do feel a little stupid about asking, but I would never learn if I did not ask, right?

I use the ISO I need in order to have a shutter speed (coupled with a wide open f stop) that can allow for a decent image devoid of movement artifact....and when it is after sunset and darkness is setting in the only way to get an image that isn't either blurred by movement or totally underexposed is to up the ISO (and if you have a tripod that is helpful....I did not and that raises the the shutter speed I needed a bit whilst hand holding the camera and relatively large and heavy lens.)
Eric

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:41 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Scrumhalf wrote:
haha.. I was looking to use that line in my daily conversation in some droll way, and you beat me to it!

Ah yes, it gets curiouser and curiouser indeed
Eric

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:42 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

surfnron wrote:
12,800 looks very good to me. 16,000 is still pushing it, but compared to times past is amazing ~ Ron

Thanks Ron...I love that I don't have to use flash...there is of course the trade off that instead of just observing I'm still looking through the viewfinder....I have to remind myself that seeing the world that way is not always best.
Eric

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:44 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Archibald wrote:
Agreed that photography today is amazing. Like 4000 raw photos on a memory card the size of a postage stamp.

Nice shots of the lion.

Thanks...one day I will post the visual of just what you said.
Eric

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:44 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

canon.eos30d wrote:
Eric, this looks way cleaner than my 1D4's 3200 ISO. Beautiful.

-Tam

Thanks Tam....to me it is one of the best reasons to upgrade...especially if your photography typically takes place in lowish light or requires fast shutter speeds.
Eric

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Tack sharp, well exposed and tastefully processed resulting in a colour-subdued yet powerful image.....exactly the way I like them. It's pretty amazing the IQ we can get today at those stratospheric ISO values.

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:08 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

The chroma noise in the first is quite evident yet you still got a great photo Eric. This one might benefit from a B&W conversion. The second is much cleaner and also an excelent image

Morris

Mar 17, 2017 at 06:16 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

PetKal wrote:
Tack sharp, well exposed and tastefully processed resulting in a colour-subdued yet powerful image.....exactly the way I like them. It's pretty amazing the IQ we can get today at those stratospheric ISO values.

Thanks Peter....taking advantage of the available technology both in hardware and software...I don't need to prove I can do just as good a job with older tech...frankly, I can not.
---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
The chroma noise in the first is quite evident yet you still got a great photo Eric. This one might benefit from a B&W conversion. The second is much cleaner and also an excelent image

Morris

Thanks Morris...good idea about the b&w conversion.
Eric

Mar 18, 2017 at 07:49 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Excellent high iso set Eric. I've yet to get anything good above 6400 iso.

Mar 18, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Warkari
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Lovely closeups

- Amit

Mar 18, 2017 at 09:55 AM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

There's tech specs and there's moments of opportunity. It's awesome that the two are coming together to help us get closer and closer to 'perfection'. However, being present in the moment and observing 'the event' is a gift no matter how close or far good or bad the ability to capture it is.

"Who knew it could be that complicated?" Or simple? I know you do Eric; that's one of the things I consistently appreciate about your posts. This one is no exception...

Thanks for posting.

--Kim

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:48 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

Just say "NO" to B&W!!!!!!!
What's wrong with flash BTW.
Impossibility #2; 32 FPS at 40 MP/image. That's really two!
I was just looking at some shots I took in 2011 in low light. Most of them were ruined because I didn't push the ISO over 1600 and I got "blur". Makes me want to go back for a re-do.
Don

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:40 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

You have the skills to take advantage of the technology! Very nicely done Eric.

Birdie

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 'Through the Looking Glass'

I get nervous at 1600. Very nicely done.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.