FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Look at mine, too!

DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Look at mine, too!

The off season trends of rebrands & new website threads is continuing. I didn't rebrand, but I did freshen up my website as to step into 2017 and out of 2012. I updated the portfolio as well, I'd love some feedback! I went with a very simple & straight forward route, would love to hear some thoughts.

www.danielbostwickphotography.com

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM
brick33308
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Look at mine, too!

brilliant work, among the best I've seen on this forum. I love your photo journalistic style and the images put the viewer right in the moment. And your website is easy to navigate and fast. I literally have not the slightest criticism.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Look at mine, too!

Beautiful, Danny. On my iMac5k, the page allows my browser to make the images bigger than they were likely optimized for (they come up a bit soft). Fine when I make the page smaller.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:35 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Look at mine, too!

Site is squeaky clean. On my 13" MBPr everything scales nicely. Site does a brilliant job of scaling photos to fit the space without cropping stupidly, unless you make the browser window really wide and flat...but who does that? Anyway, really immersive site experience without being bogged down with flashiness or trying to understand clever navigation. Just some dope photos in a straight-forward platform. Welcome to 2017.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Jefzor

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Look at mine, too!

Agreed with what's been said. Great site, very easy to navigate. I especially like your family photos, they're absolutely stunning. It's amazing how you manage to combine creative compositions with spontaneous moments. Your pricing text is very nicely written, too.

I only have 2 nitpicks :
- On page 2 of your blog posts, I'm seeing your logo instead of preview photos.
- I'm not sure if the opening photo is the way to go. I believe a wedding photo with kids would fit with better with everything you do. Something similar to this one, for example: click

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Look at mine, too!

Please don't take this harsh... it's constructive crit... and I'm a straight forward and honest guy...

I'm not a jerk, honestly; but I thought it was considerably boring. (not the images) I wouldn't even call it a branding. You definitely need to consider using a branding, or at least a logo service. By the way, the front page isn't loading properly, unless you are wanting small, left justified, alignment. Regardless, it doesn't gel with the rest of the site. Also, I noticed a lot of inconsistency in image sizes across the different sections.

Summary...

Front page, left alignment, small images.
Port page(s), center aligned, medium images.
Blog page, full page width images.
Contact.. (I really like the simplicity of this part)
Info page(s), an older blog style look. Doesn't really match anything else, except in color only.
Logo, really just boring. Definitely not memorable.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Look at mine, too!

I've seen this template a million times.

I think Squarespace and/or ProPhoto have something super popular that's almost exactly the same.

Edited on Mar 17, 2017 at 12:25 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Look at mine, too!

One missing word when talking about your engagement sessions: "some spend more than [that] on books and prints..."

If I wasn't a wedding photographer, I'm not sure I would have figured out to use the arrow keys to scroll through your portfolio, and the slideshow is juuuust slow enough that I would have left the page before it moved to the next photo. Have you checked out smartlook.com? I've been using it for about a month now and everyone seems to scroll rapid fire through my galleries. They all go straight to the arrow to click next.

The bottom portion of your portfolio images are being cut off on my laptop. Not too big of a deal, except for cases like this with the groomsman being on the very bottom of the image: https://gyazo.com/ecee7a0c9fea671dca00c4ae5a1514ae or this couple at sunset: https://gyazo.com/a8bdd9c9d0a07ec015016187e61c3705

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Look at mine, too!

Jefzor wrote:
I only have 2 nitpicks :
- On page 2 of your blog posts, I'm seeing your logo instead of preview photos.
- I'm not sure if the opening photo is the way to go. I believe a wedding photo with kids would fit with better with everything you do. Something similar to this one, for example: click

Yeah page 2 of the blog posts is a bit of a problem. I never selected, "featured image" for any of my old blogs because it automatically did it for me and I never really found it a big deal on which one they used. The new site doesn't automatically do that so I have to go back through them and select them which is a bit tedious. So, I did the first page yesterday, going to do the next page today. I'll probably go about 7 pages back before I give up on it.

---------------------------------------------

amonline wrote:
Please don't take this harsh... it's constructive crit... and I'm a straight forward and honest guy...

I'm not a jerk, honestly; but I thought it was considerably boring. (not the images) I wouldn't even call it a branding. You definitely need to consider using a branding, or at least a logo service. By the way, the front page isn't loading properly, unless you are wanting small, left justified, alignment. Regardless, it doesn't gel with the rest of the site. Also, I noticed a lot of inconsistency in image sizes across the different sections.

Summary...

Front page, left alignment, small images.
Port page(s), center aligned,
...Show more

No worries, I appreciate the honesty. Hit me hard!

First I'm hearing about the page alignment issues. Should scale from the title bar to the edge. What screen size & browser/OS are you using?

Yeah the info page is lack luster. I agree.

Logo, couldn't care less about. If someone doesn't hire me over my logo, it's probably for the best. That being said, I do have something else in the works, it's just a bit on the back burner and I'm unsure if it's even a good idea.

---------------------------------------------

mirrorrim wrote:
One missing word when talking about your engagement sessions: "some spend more than [that] on books and prints..."

If I wasn't a wedding photographer, I'm not sure I would have figured out to use the arrow keys to scroll through your portfolio, and the slideshow is juuuust slow enough that I would have left the page before it moved to the next photo. Have you checked out smartlook.com? I've been using it for about a month now and everyone seems to scroll rapid fire through my galleries. They all go straight to the arrow to click next.

The bottom portion of your
...Show more

Ah, I was waiting for the first typo. I checked about 4 times but I always miss something. Thanks!

Mar 17, 2017 at 01:51 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Look at mine, too!

LeeSimms wrote:
Beautiful, Danny. On my iMac5k, the page allows my browser to make the images bigger than they were likely optimized for (they come up a bit soft). Fine when I make the page smaller.

Yeah, working on this. They're 1500px wide right now. I'm not sure exactly what size to make them. Just got a report that they're coming up soft on a 15" MBP. Any suggestions?

Mar 17, 2017 at 01:55 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Look at mine, too!

Thumbs up on my ipad !

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:05 PM
Giggity

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Look at mine, too!

Nice site. You have a couple typo/grammar issues on your pricing page...

'I have some incredible albums that I would love to shot [show?] you guys as well as some other “odds & ends” [that] can be added on at any time.'

"Some spend more than [that]on books & prints after the shoot because my prints are epic."

"...coffee or a few beer[s.]"

Probably a good idea to run your text through Word or something similar.

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.