Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · File backup and sorting.

glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · File backup and sorting.

Over the years I have had a lot of Hdd Crashes and lost a LOT of data.
I woke up some years back and now back up everything. Multiple times.

The problem I have now is I did not do this methodically and have backup of backups on a pile of different drives. Some of them are very different as in the case especially of family and personal photos. Multiple folders of the same names on Different HDD's that don't have the exact same content although most of it is.

What I want to do is make up a master back up (or a couple there of) of everything but not copy the same file twice. I'd like a software that looks at more than the file name but the whole file and can sort them for me. Ie, I can copy a folder to another folder and it will only make one copy of each unique file so I have everything from combined Folders of that subject.

Anyone know any software that does this?

For future organsiation, how do you do your backups so they are organised and not repeated especially with reference to things that may be added to and ongoing like family pics?

Mar 17, 2017 at 01:37 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · File backup and sorting.

Super duper or carbon copy for the mac can do this. But any automated back up solution is a bad idea in my opinion. I do it all manually so I know that its done and can make adjustments for special situations. With automated back ups you run risks of a computer making a decision you might not always want.

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:49 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · File backup and sorting.

Master folders as required:
1. Documents
2. Pictures
3. Videos

Than separate folders named
yy.mm.dd_content description

https://www.duplicatecleaner.com/index.html?clickid=1fU1rkWAoQlL0hQTqRU3IxcUUkh13uw5FUpEV00&irgwc=1

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:51 AM
HaJa
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · File backup and sorting.

Like InSanE indicated, but also make a folder structure for files you don't need to backup.

Jarmo

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:27 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · File backup and sorting.

When I get back to the office I copy all my files on to a NAS drive that has 4 hard drives. Only if 2 or more drives crash will I lose any data. It has a 1GB port so it is fast to upload the data to it.

On my workstation I have three hard drives and one is for the operating system and software applications and the other two drives are configured as RAID1 so all the data copies to drive A is automatically copies to drive B as well. Only a fire that burns down the place is going to result in lost data.

I keep the original RAW files on the NAS until I have delivered all files and the album to the client. I work with the RAW files on the computer's internal drives and cull them down while sorting them as to getting ready, ceremony, family and group shots, reception, first dances, venue and detail shots. I can then batch process the images from these folders after renaming them. That way I have a G001 to G100 for example, and the B&G do not see any gaps in the file numbering. It also makes for shorter filenames when communicating with the couple.

My completed files are backed up onto the NAS so I have two RAID protected sets of files. Other than a fire there is no way anything can be lost, and that includes my time while working on the files to provide a deliverable to a client.

My QNAP NAS cost me $600 plus another $100 per hard drive. The workstation RAID was built into the motherboard as is often the case with such machines (have it on my Lenovo P700 tower and had it on my HP tower and on my Mac Pro Quadstation) so the cost was the two $100 drives.

I would feel stupid and incompetent and unprofessional if I lost data for a client and the cost to prevent this from happening is trivial in the overall scheme of things.

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:28 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · File backup and sorting.

I have an automated process that copies all my files from my import drive + my other drive to 2 other internal drives. Once a month or so (depending on how many shoots I've done) I'll manually copy everything to my external drives as well.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.