Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Candids in a porfolio?

Jefzor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Candids in a porfolio?

I'm looking to spice up my portfolio with some more candids. But I'm a little worried they may be embarrassing, too intimate or unflattering for the people involved. Also I don't know if these are relevant/good enough to put in the main portfolio page, but I'm planning to add some individual weddings and may just add them there. Your thoughts? Are these good enough to showcase? Do you think it could off clients or other guests? Any shots in particular I should leave out?

Some examples below:

Mar 16, 2017 at 09:11 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Candids in a porfolio?

In many ways, your portfolio is a reflection of your values as a photographer. It represents what YOU consider worthy of showcase, representative of your finest work, and what you consider important to photograph.

What kind of clients do you want to attract (you won't attract everyone)? What do you think is the type of imagery that sets you apart from others? What are your priorities when photographing a wedding?

As a general rule though, if people look really awkward or funny (and they aren't in on the joke) it may be more risky to use those types of photos. My portfolio is about 70% candid moments, and I chose them based on how confident I felt in them as images in addition to them connecting to my target clients.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope it gives you something to think about when sprucing up the portfolio.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:15 AM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Candids in a porfolio?

3,5,6,7 would probably work well. Maybe 1 since you get a sense of what they are doing.

Not fond of 2 as it's completely unflattering. 4 looks like a guy ironing his shirt, without a tie in to what is happening. Same with the last one - it's a guy crying.

I like to include some candids in my portfolio as I think it shows your focus is more than just the bride and groom. Gives variety if it fits your style.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:43 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Candids in a porfolio?

For sure. Although I would be very careful about what types of candids.
IMO if "candids" are in a portfolio they need to tell a very strong story or show very strong emotion.
Your portfolio needs to connect with your clients and often times candids really only connect with the people immediately involved in the wedding.

I would include "candid" or PJ shots in my portfolio because I want potential clients to value that type of photography. We shoot, deliver, and blog a TON of candid shots because that is how we shoot.

Personally I do not think any of your shots would warrant a spot in the portfolio but that does not mean they are unworthy shots...just not portfolio worthy.

Chuck Anerino would be able to shed more light on the subject as would Zalmy Berkowitz and Tony Hart.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Candids in a porfolio?

3,6,7. They are the most story driven.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:52 AM
Jefzor

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Candids in a porfolio?

Thanks for the input. I'll keep the general portfolio pretty clean and only include candids that make sense without any context. But I'll add some more to the blog posts (no unflattering ones tho).

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:32 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Candids in a porfolio?

What Doug said....

Image needs to tell a story.
Really, all of these look like filler shots or images that only the B&G might find interesting.

-Mark

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Candids in a porfolio?

Show your best work. Hero shots. Less is more.

Posed or candid will do, although plenty of photographers are a bit too precious about their candid images and are oblivious to their mediocrity.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Candids in a porfolio?

IMO, there was a real buzz about wedding photojournalism 7 or 8 years ago and candids were all the rage. Many brides had been a friend's wedding where a posed photographer had everyone in hot sun for hours on end and in response, "have a wedding, not a photo shoot" became a oft-used slogan.

Today, we're 5 years into the smart phone / social media revolution and many brides take more personal photos journaling their own lives than professional photographers do. So, the tables have turned. Your bride is more into photography then you are, except she doesn't use a professional camera. She's now empowered, embolden, and she wants to look great. No fluff. As my esteemed associate from Glasgow points out, just show "hero shots."

Candids still have a place, but it's a continually diminished one. So just show the awesome ones in a portfolio.

Thankfully, there's a master's level of education about photojournalism available on the web. See Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Frank, William Allard, etc. The things that make real world events compelling in press photos are exactly the same visual attractions at a wedding. Well, except our subjects are not protesting and carrying firearms.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Candids in a porfolio?

For wedding candids, Huy Nguyen is a great reference point. He no longer personally photographs weddings but his portfolio is easy to find online and worth a look.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:46 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Candids in a porfolio?

Thanks for the mention, Doug.

It really just depends on what your brand is and how you shoot. I think you can certainly focus on strong documentary images in your portfolio. But I do think that many do quite well with a portrait focused approach. That just doesn't work for us. 95% of our portfolio are "in the moment" shots.

www.merklephotography.com

It's the way we shoot and like to approach the day. Works for us and our clients. Good luck!

Chuck

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Candids in a porfolio?

BKphotography wrote:
plenty of photographers are a bit too precious about their candid images and are oblivious to their mediocrity.

Incredibly true.

Mar 21, 2017 at 02:43 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Candids in a porfolio?

canerino wrote:
Thanks for the mention, Doug.

It really just depends on what your brand is and how you shoot. I think you can certainly focus on strong documentary images in your portfolio. But I do think that many do quite well with a portrait focused approach. That just doesn't work for us. 95% of our portfolio are "in the moment" shots.

www.merklephotography.com

It's the way we shoot and like to approach the day. Works for us and our clients. Good luck!

Chuck

100% agree with this. Every photo in your portfolio needs to give someone a reason to want to book you.

Mar 21, 2017 at 04:32 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Candids in a porfolio?

The second to the last image is the type I would want to show clients. Often photographers overlook important people in their coverage. Often a favorite aunt or uncle or other key individual is very important to the bride or groom and they have a special relationship and deep affection and often these are the shots that get selected for the wedding album.

What is different about the second to the last image is the emotion that was captured. Other candid shots without this emotional content are not going to help you to sell your ability to captured important moments for your prospective clients.

Along those lines I will recommend to couples that they get an extra corsage or boutonniere for their special guests as it makes the recipients feel appreciated and special and it makes it easy for me and my second photographer to spot them and be sure we cover them adequately during the wedding day.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password