Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

orb0554

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I just purchased three different Gitzo products and I am not pleased with the amount of movement of the fully extended leg(s). Please review each of these videos and I would appreciate your comments if this seems normal for these Gitzo products.

I would also like to hear from actual owners/users of Really Right Stuff (RRS) Tripods if the RRS products have similar characteristics or is the leg(s) rigid when fully extended.

Gitzo GM4542 Series 4 Carbon Fiber Monopod:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n2nlvx41rjwtqmi/AAB6R-bUJdo26abqVjXMmuVsa?dl=0

Gitzo GT2545T Series 2 Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qdsghq2l2nso4cf/AACrN2cKDU9zofp_rjjjRem8a?dl=0

Gitzo GT5533LS Series 5 Systematic Tripod:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mrvx5tpm6jy0336/AADQNI73g3mwoHLSj0v38BkIa?dl=0

I will most likely return these new design Gitzo products but wanted to heard advice from the more knowledgeable participants in FM.

Thank you in advanced for your input.

Mar 15, 2017 at 07:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I am a user of RRS products. I have 3 of their tripods (bar none the best I've used the TVC33, TVC24 and TQC/TFC14) but when it came to a monopod (something I consider a consumable in the short run) I went to the Induro Monopod from their grand series now referred to as the GIM304L (formally the CMG34). they do have heavier duty models if you need to go there. the RRS has some nifty little extra features but I tend to put my money on longer term investments.

there is no totally rigid multisection tripod but these are pretty darn close.

my advice on testing the tripod is simply setting it up and attempt to rotate the spider with a vertical downward load on it.

Mar 16, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I have some lateral play on my GT3531 legs, although I think somewhat less than shown in your videos. Tightening down on the locks seems to reduce it further.

C

Mar 16, 2017 at 03:27 PM
jbaduini

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

When I watched your videos, I thought it looked way too strange to move like that. Tried the same test with my GT4552TS and I was surprised to see the same exact movement.

I'm not sure how much stock to put into it though, it doesn't seem to have a lot to do with how the tripod will be loaded while in use. I guess I was surprised to see it on my tripod since this thing is plenty sturdy enough for 600mm F4 use.

Mar 16, 2017 at 07:14 PM
orb0554

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

jbaduini wrote:
When I watched your videos, I thought it looked way too strange to move like that. Tried the same test with my GT4552TS and I was surprised to see the same exact movement.

I'm not sure how much stock to put into it though, it doesn't seem to have a lot to do with how the tripod will be loaded while in use. I guess I was surprised to see it on my tripod since this thing is plenty sturdy enough for 600mm F4 use.

It is good to know that your tripod has been sturdy with the 600mm F4. This is the same reason I wanted to upgrade my tripod to make sure it is rigid specially when I use the 1.4x or 1.7x with the 600mm. A friend's GT5532LS is as close to rigid as I have seen. My GT5533LS, a newer model, is to wobbly for my taste.

How long have you been using your GT4552TS?

The monopod and the traveler are certainly too wobbly and interestingly enough, I was able to locate a GM4542 near IAD and when the salesperson took the monopod out of the box and we extended the legs it wobbly in the same manner.

I will contact Manfrotto and follow up with hopefully a product manager.

Mar 16, 2017 at 08:01 PM
jbaduini

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

orb0554 wrote:
It is good to know that your tripod has been sturdy with the 600mm F4. This is the same reason I wanted to upgrade my tripod to make sure it is rigid specially when I use the 1.4x or 1.7x with the 600mm. A friend's GT5532LS is as close to rigid as I have seen. My GT5533LS, a newer model, is to wobbly for my taste.

How long have you been using your GT4552TS?

The monopod and the traveler are certainly too wobbly and interestingly enough, I was able to locate a GM4542 near IAD and when the salesperson took the
...Show more

I've had the 4552 for about 3 years now -- the twist lock design is the previous version, so not the same as on your new tripods. The flex seemed about the same as your video, but who knows if we are applying the same force.

I also use 1.4 and 1.7 TCs and they work fine on this tripod. Are you getting bad results with the long lens on the GT5533LS?

Mar 16, 2017 at 09:23 PM
Anthony280ZX

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I have a 7 year old Gitzo g52531 and it there is no wobble at all. As stiff as if it were all one solid piece.

Mar 18, 2017 at 03:00 PM
orb0554

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

jbaduini wrote:
I've had the 4552 for about 3 years now -- the twist lock design is the previous version, so not the same as on your new tripods. The flex seemed about the same as your video, but who knows if we are applying the same force.

I also use 1.4 and 1.7 TCs and they work fine on this tripod. Are you getting bad results with the long lens on the GT5533LS?

I had not seen this flex on the older Gitzos. I have a GM2541 and a GT1541T with the older design twist lock that are rigid. I purchased the new Gitzo to upgrade these two due to the heavier gear. Not sure what is going on with the new G-Lock and/or eXact tubes but something is not correct.

Mar 18, 2017 at 03:07 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I have a Gitzo GT5541LS tripod, and the legs don't do that, they're solid when fully extended. It seems strange that you'd get three products that wobble like that. I'm about the buy a GM4552L and will do that test before tossing the shipping box. I wonder if it's something related to the pivoting foot.

As a note, I was taught to never extend a section beyond 80% of it's length, If the locks are solid, then having a portion of a section inside a larger portion will be stronger.

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

Even my 10 year-old 2 series Gitzo (w/ Markins spider) is more stable than those. I cannot rotate the legs from the top more than a tiny amount (with two arms applied!) and the legs don't deflect nearly as much side to side with force applied in the video. I don't know if the guy in the video is not tightening the joints well or just a Superman. It does not correlate directly with actual micro vibrations that affect IQ.

EBH

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

la puffin wrote:
I have a Gitzo GT5541LS tripod, and the legs don't do that, they're solid when fully extended. It seems strange that you'd get three products that wobble like that. I'm about the buy a GM4552L and will do that test before tossing the shipping box. I wonder if it's something related to the pivoting foot.

As a note, I was taught to never extend a section beyond 80% of it's length, If the locks are solid, then having a portion of a section inside a larger portion will be stronger.

that's old old school (like up to the early 2000's). newer good tripod designs built in the past almost 15 years should not need that. "most" of the coupling structural designs are considerably more robust on the better products. it is not necessary to "pull back" when using a well made model. you have other factors that are of greater issue.

in addition tripod legs are built to take vertical loads not so much side loads.

Mar 19, 2017 at 07:20 AM
ospishus
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

My experience is similar to ' la puffin' in that even fully extended my GT5541LS is solid. This is not the case with my GT3530LS which will deflect sideways unless collapsed 2 inches from full extension at which point it becomes solid.
Both tripods will blur the image through the viewfinder of a 1DX and 600 mm mounted on BH55 if you lightly tap the lens hood. Are there any that are truly solid?

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

the diameter of the tubing makes for a difference. simply a long fat tube will deflect less than a smaller diameter tube of the same length. in the bicycling world way back cannondale demonstrated that with their aluminum fat tubing frames which were incredibly rigid and light when welded together. ah, but we don't weld things together. its all mechanical type bonding. clamps and screws along with wedges and people.

you are under the impression that the legs are creating all the rigidity. there are way too many moving parts involved in your entire structure.

no, there is no truly ridged structure. you can try to make it that way (an exercise in diminishing returns) but you might not end up getting your shot in the end.

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:33 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

ospishus wrote:
Both tripods will blur the image through the viewfinder of a 1DX and 600 mm mounted on BH55 if you lightly tap the lens hood. Are there any that are truly solid?

Well, you know what they say - don't tap the lens hood.

The hood, lens, head and everything else contributes.

EBH

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:49 AM
Anthony280ZX

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I can't imagine Gitzo selling any tripods if the legs have that much flex in them at the joints. There's no way I would keep a tripod like that.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I have older Gitzo 1325 and 1348. Very solid. No flex. I tried an Induro GIT model last year that had horrible flex. Based on it I could not see how they get good press as there is no way I would have ever accepted that in a tripod.

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I purchased a GTT204 tripod for my daughter and own a CMG34 monopod which I use fairly extensively. both do their jobs quite well. the CMG has been around over 3 years and that's high time for me and a MP. when looking around for the tripod for my daughter we went to B&H and spend over an hour looking over the legsets in its class. of all the midline brands the Induro outclassed them. the first thing we looked at was relative structural rigidity and integrity.

my reference tools are the RRS tripods 33, 24 and 14

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:03 AM
orb0554

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

I have been in contact with Manfrotto and have not received any replies after submitting the videos showing the flex in the tripods and the monopod and following up with the serial number for each product.

Consequently, I have no other choice but to request a return authorization for these tripods and the monopod. I have lost confidence in Gitzo's quality control and Manfrotto's customer service has not been very responsive.

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:22 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gitzo Tripod and Monopod Flex/Woobly Legs - Is this normal?

^ Not a surprise WRT Manfrotto CS. We've all experienced the same thing for many years.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.