FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Health insurance?

CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Health insurance?

rw11 wrote:
our country can figure this out... and has example form every other developed country on the planet

but there are vested interests that prevent it

the bigger the group that negotiates for you, the better your insurance will be - that is why the PPA is not a good deal

yes, {other} people in other countries have figured it out. Until then we have the Marketplace
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/books/review/an-american-sickness-elisabeth-rosenthal.html?_r=0

Apr 09, 2017 at 11:28 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Health insurance?

I've always gone through the marketplace, which has been annoyingly expensive, but one of my best options since I'm a bit injury-prone. This year I finally hopped on my wife's insurance, which I don't think saves us any money, but is even better coverage.

I know a couple full-time photographers with 2-4 kids that get the bare minimum health insurance and then pay cash for everything. Their monthly premiums were so high it just wasn't worth it for them anymore. Having minimum coverage keeps their monthly low, and if something catastrophic happens they're out $10k for a deductible instead of the $100-200k they'd be responsible for if they were uninsured.

Apr 11, 2017 at 04:53 PM
engardeknave

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Health insurance?

Take a look at health cost sharing programs like Liberty Health Share.

It's basically free-market $200/month insurance made possible by not calling it "insurance". These programs get an obamacare penalty exception.

Apr 12, 2017 at 05:27 PM
juvx
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Health insurance?

My number one advice if you're a wedding photographer or mainly shoot on the weekends is to get a job during the week that provides health insurance. A 9-5 office job preferably.

It's really hard to balance the two, and you might have to outsource some of the retouching, but itís worth it JUST for the insurance and 401k benefits. For me personally, I would have to pay 1500-1600 / month for 2 adults and 3 kids. But I kept my day job mainly for the benefits.. and they are amazing.. I pay 0 dollars for 5 people and itís only a 500 deductible with blue cross blue shield of Texas.

My schedule permits me to shoot any Friday Saturday or Sunday. No one gets married Monday- Thursday in Texas (unlike new York or LA) so it works out perfectly. I sometimes do book engagement shoots after work and it works out because thatís prime golden hour.

But yeah the key is outsourcing the big retouching jobs, otherwise it would impossible to manage.

Of course there is a tipping point (as far a profit) where itís not worth keeping my day job anymore and just do photography and get private insurance but I donít feel like Iím there yet.

Apr 12, 2017 at 09:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Health insurance?

Yep, got a friend in Atlanta who's coming on 70 and is still working just for the insurance. Has a hard time walking, is overweight and travels 5 days a week. He's slowly dying, but cannot quit as his wife needs a lot a medical care and they cannot afford it. What a shame.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:28 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Health insurance?

We minimize our coverage and pay for our own medications (which comes from outside the USA) and for medical procedures we pay out of pocket and save money by going outside the USA. A procedure that cost me 400 euros in Germany as a US citizen was repeated in the USA when I had a policy to cover the cost and the total billing was over $12,000 and my out of pocket cost was over $2,000.

What few realize is that the Affordable Care Act was patterned after a plan created by the right wing Heritage Foundation a decade before. So even something so flawed is being attacked by the Republicans and their greedy sponsors in the drug and healthcare industry.

May 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Health insurance?

Elkhorn - So now what happens when you have an emergency, don't have time to go north or south of the border and have to go up to CHOMP and they make you either pay for it when services rendered or give you the minimal patch-you-up and send you on your merry way treatment, but leaving the underlying cause still there? I get that insurance is expensive, but it's even more expensive to not have it, unless you can guarantee you'll never get sick or need meds. And what about brand name drugs that you cannot get from Canada or somewhere else. Not everything is either available or even less expensive elsewhere.

May 12, 2017 at 09:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password