New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Portland area to Seattle area and back locations

Twistedimg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portland area to Seattle area and back locations

Thinking of taking a few days and travelling from Portland (home) to Seattle and back. I'm familiar with the spots within the city of Seattle to grab cityscapes but are there any must see/photograph scenic items I should put on the itinerary for mid April? Sure is a lot of bodies of water along the route, has to be something good.

I'm not against heading towards long beach and driving the Oregon coast down to like Newport but I do that several times a year already as it is only a couple hours from home.

Ideas/advice?

If it matters this is just me taking a couple extra days off work over my bday weekend to make a 4 day weekend. Want to get out and do something.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portland area to Seattle area and back locations

Happy birthday!

What do you want to shoot? I just returned from Portland to Seattle and back (rotten wet the whole time). If you want birds, try Sauvie Island in Portland, Ridgefield NWR just north of Vancouver or Nisqually NWR south of Seattle. If you can divert a little, try touring the Olympic Penninsula. If you want cityscapes and interesting street scenes, Pike Market in Seattle is where to go. Both Portland and Seattle have nice zoos and Oriental gardens (you said you're familiar with these, so I won't belabor it here).

A relatively short drive from Portland is Ashland, which has some beautiful Victorian houses, a very nice bridge, and some interesting opportunities along the Columbia River. Ft. Stevens is nearby. From there you can meander south on US 101 and find all sorts of things to shoot for as far south as you want to go (well, at least as far south as Monterey, CA).

Outside of Portland, try Multnomah and the other waterfalls along the old highway. Try to get there early, as parking can fill up fast.

If you want to try some interesting action-panorama shots of planes landing in Portland, head up to Rocky Butte Park. It's also got good views of Mt. Hood, weather permitting.

There are so many photo opps that you might want to describe your preferences for us.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portland area to Seattle area and back locations

If you want to drive further north of Seattle to the Skagit Valley area, the tulips fields will be in full force in April. Always makes for a fun day and you can get some amazing photos. If the weather cooperates you can get the fields of tulips in the foreground and Mt. Baker in the background.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Twistedimg
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portland area to Seattle area and back locations

chez wrote:
If you want to drive further north of Seattle to the Skagit Valley area, the tulips fields will be in full force in April. Always makes for a fun day and you can get some amazing photos. If the weather cooperates you can get the fields of tulips in the foreground and Mt. Baker in the background.

I forgot about that. I haven't been up there for a couple years. Have a friend who lives up there who I could possibly visit too.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM
Twistedimg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portland area to Seattle area and back locations

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Happy birthday!

What do you want to shoot? I just returned from Portland to Seattle and back (rotten wet the whole time). If you want birds, try Sauvie Island in Portland, Ridgefield NWR just north of Vancouver or Nisqually NWR south of Seattle. If you can divert a little, try touring the Olympic Penninsula. If you want cityscapes and interesting street scenes, Pike Market in Seattle is where to go. Both Portland and Seattle have nice zoos and Oriental gardens (you said you're familiar with these, so I won't belabor it here).

A relatively short drive from Portland is Ashland, which
...Show more

All good info but perhaps I should have clarified. I live in Portlandish area so I visit all the stuff around here often. Looking for advice more up in the Seattleish and south area.

I know driving the OR coast there is a constant flow of great photo ops. Not sure of any on the Washington side of the Columbia and wasn't sure if I was just not aware of them.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:40 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.