New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Home Studio set up

pinn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Home Studio set up

Hi

have just set up a home studio in a small room - using a black (and white on reverse) muslin backdrop - I have the back drop on the ground also and am using a piece of plexiglass sitting over this.

I have 2 Jinbei EF200 LED lights and have snoots, softball diffuser and a godox 120 cm octagon softbox - my light stands only lower to 100 cm.

I am looking at doing dog portraits - head shots - showing a very black background - just looking for some advice as to the best way to set up lights for this - I assume the diffusers are not the best for this as I want to have defined light on the dogs head - so is it best to use the snoots? is there any advantage in using barn doors (which i would need to buy). Also with this i have been using 2 lights to the left and right of the dog - shining in/down on the dogs head and not on the backdrop - also have the dog as far away as possible from the backdrop - maybe 120 cm or so. The lights are pointing down as they only go to 100 cm - would i be better buying stands that allow me to point the light horizontally? In terms of camera settings - just 1/250 sec hand held ISO 2000 and f stop around f8 in order to get eyes and nose in focus (focus point on eyes)

the other shots i am looking at doing is having the dog lying (or sitting and doing full body shots) on the plexiglass to get some reflection from this.....so just wondering what lighting setup i would need for this and also whether this will be best on white or black background

i am a sports photographer so new to all this - thanks for any help!

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM
sk66

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Home Studio set up

I would probably use one light in the softbox with the softbox as close as possible to the subject and feathered. The second light I would probably use as a rim light to separate the dog from the BG.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:51 PM
pinn

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Home Studio set up

thanks sk66 for your reply - will try this and post some images....

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:01 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Home Studio set up

Iso 2000 isn't going to give great image quality and cheap LED lights gives a very uneven spectrum of light. When speedlights from godox etc. with radio and remote power control are like $130 why not get these? You'll also have less issues if the dog moves.

Keep in mind that although your BG is white, it will typically go grey without lights on is separately. Also in a small room spill from the walls will be a struggle; your idea of snoots and barn doors is wise.

There is no one or 'right' way to light something. Post some examples you like and we can assist further.

Mar 20, 2017 at 01:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pinn

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Home Studio set up

thanks for the comments Mark - so are the Jinbei ef200 lights considered cheap lights?

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:24 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Home Studio set up

pinn wrote:
thanks for the comments Mark - so are the Jinbei ef200 lights considered cheap lights?

In LED terms, yes. Only the top end have a good colour spectrum and don't shift (much) when the power is changed and even they struggle seriously for power.

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Home Studio set up

when you post your examples be sure to post either behind the scenes shots of the gear setup or a diagram illistrating thee setup

on a side note if you go to speed lights check out magmods suite of accessories I think you'll find the snoot and magbounce of interest.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:42 AM
pinn

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Home Studio set up

thanks for all the comments - finally got chance to take some shots today

this image was taken using a 1DXII with 24-70 f2.8 II USM - 50 focal length - 1/50 sec handheld - f5.6 - ISO 6400!
using i Jinbei EF 200 with Beauty dish and honeycomb grid to the left of camera - pointing down and diagonally into dog - dog was about 65 cm from light - and about 1.7 m from background - am worried the ISO too high

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B604eJioxKjGUlVhVDNXQktlWW8/view?usp=sharing

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password