Edited on Mar 16, 2017 at 08:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Douglas,

Nice set of tools!

I have a few issues with the image that I think could be improved. The shot feels a bit flat and static and perhaps a lower perspective would make this a little more engaging. The mids are very prevalent here and I think the lower contrast is adding to the lack of depth. When I see workworking tools I think precision and perfection. My eyes want to see nice straight lines and sharp corners.

Below is a (bit exaggerated) rework with a boost to whites/midtones, contrast, touch of USM and recrop/rotation.

Cheers!

Jeff

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

I used to have a plane like that, inherited from my dad and passed on to a son in law. I have used it many times.

Someplace between the original and the rework for me, needs a slightly old look in the processing

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Lighting reads seem to be on a roll today.

The lighting looks to be very specular (i.e. strong shadows). However, the "flat" (photo filter / contrast reduction / toning / etc. ) appearance of the scene belies the lighting a bit.

Here's a "split" of the channels, with this one being the red channel only. No rework / PP adjustments were made.

BTW, I too have such a plane (well, a bit longer) ... it's a joy to use.

Mar 14, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

RustyBug wrote:
Lighting reads seem to be on a roll today.

The lighting looks to be very specular (i.e. strong shadows). However, the "flat" (photo filter / contrast reduction / toning / etc. ) appearance of the scene belies the lighting a bit.

Here's a "split" of the channels, with this one being the red channel only. No rework / PP adjustments were made.

BTW, I too have such a plane (well, a bit longer) ... it's a joy to use.

Kent,

I'm confused - how did you split the Red Channel when, although in RGB color space, the RGB Channel and all three channels are identical? The background "black" is RGB {5,1,0}, a constant difference through the entire image. There are several ways to do monochrome conversion preserve the base color layer, Channel Mixer for one but flattening to jpg loses the color base layer. SEPro, once it's done the conversion, also replaces the color RGB channel with a monochrome rendition.

I'm curious because at the moment I'm trying to develop some facility with doing monochromatic conversions using three separate Channel mixers...but that is a WIP.

Anyway, just curious or perhaps I misunderstand - a good possibility too.

Getting back to the image - would need the color original but there ought to be a way to get some subtle tonal variations between two pieces of wood.

Seeing these tools makes one marvel at the craftsmanship of furniture and cabinet makers before the advent of cordless everythings. The Woodwright's Shop on PBS comes to mind as a showcase for talent and skills.

Best,

Bob

Mar 14, 2017 at 08:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

PS > Layers (Channel Tab) > drop down menu > Split Channels

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:29 PM
nmguy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Douglas,
I like your photo a lot. I'm an engineer by trade, but a woodworker by hobby. I eventually inherited a couple of planes from my carpenter grand-dad who died in the early 1960s. The irons may need to be sharpened a bit more often than current steels and the soles may be marred but they're flat. Just a pleasure to use; especially when considering heritage.

Oh, the screw clamp is a cool addition as well.

thx,
Glenn

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

RustyBug wrote:
PS > Layers (Channel Tab) > drop down menu > Split Channels

Thanks and agreed - we're talking apples and oranges given different starting points (color vs mono). Lemonade anyone?

Best,

Bob

Mar 15, 2017 at 07:25 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Thank you gentlemen, for your input. I had adjusted the contrast for the color version, but did not adjust for black and white conversion. I agree it's a little flat. I will attempt another set-up to check out some different camera elevations for this.
Douglas

Mar 15, 2017 at 07:36 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Not much to offer that hasn't been said. I agree about a slightly lower POV.
Scott

Mar 15, 2017 at 03:15 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Douglas, I like the image as it is but also wouldn't be opposed to more contrast. I have a similar plane that originally belonged to my grandfather but haven't used it in years. They don't make tools to last anymore, but the ones from that era were made to last a couple lifetimes.

Mar 15, 2017 at 06:01 PM
ChaseD
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Refreshing to see the bench plane here. I regularly use planes and razor sharp blades in my bamboo fly rod making endeavors. This makes me want to document the process.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Really like your rework Douglas, great definition.

Bob

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:03 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Very nice still life Douglas. I do like your redo a bit better with the lower angle, and increased brightness. But the original was pretty nice too. What are you making?

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

Agree with the other comments about the redo the best shot.

Marcelo

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:25 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Craftsman's Tools Redeux

If you want to project the process of planing, the image might benefit from a pile of shavings and a sharp-edged board. However, even with those changes, the image would not look too realistic as the Jorgensen by itself is unlikely to provide sufficient support.

Mar 25, 2017 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.