New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Storing files on vacation

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storing files on vacation

My wife has confiscated the laptop that I normally download images too while on vacation. I have a trip coming in May and am looking for a safe and hopefully not too expensive way to store files from cfast cards.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but all the search terms I came up with yielded 0 results. I know i could get a cheap laptop, but would prefer something else that is hopefully smaller. Something like an ipad, but android could work. I would like to be able to view the files, but not necessarily edit them.

Thanx ~ Ron

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:00 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storing files on vacation

surfnron wrote:
My wife has confiscated the laptop that I normally download images too while on vacation. I have a trip coming in May and am looking for a safe and hopefully not too expensive way to store files from cfast cards.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but all the search terms I came up with yielded 0 results. I know i could get a cheap laptop, but would prefer something else that is hopefully smaller. Something like an ipad, but android could work. I would like to be able to view the files, but not necessarily edit them.

Thanx ~
...Show more

Hey Ron,

You're welcome to use my laptop on the trip .

Have you seen this product:

http://www.nextodiusa.com/pdfs/NEXTO_DI_2801.pdf

I have one that takes CF cards and used it in Alaska a couple years ago. Not much for viewing the images, but compact enough for back up purposes.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storing files on vacation

There are stand alone devices like this, which are not necessarily much cheaper than a cheap laptop. I have yet to find an android or i-device that has enough storage (at least a few hundred GB) to hold many high MP camera RAW files.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storing files on vacation

1) Cheap laptop and your existing portable HDs
2) Device like Mitesh and dmcphoto linked to
3) iPad with a portable drive (I believe these exist now, either wireless or maybe even plugged into the lightening port)
http://www.macworld.com/article/2904073/4-handy-options-for-adding-storage-to-your-iphone-or-ipad.html
https://www.lifewire.com/best-external-hard-drives-ipad-1994420

But unless you see a need for 2 and 3 in the future I think a cheap laptop would be less expensive than the other alternatives. Although maybe a refurbished iPad with minimal internal storage and a drive could be similar $$??

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storing files on vacation

+1 on NextoDI. I'm using the older ND-2901, which can copy from a card at 80 MB/sec. if the CF card is fast enough. You will need something like a HyperDRIVE UDMA series to see the image (in mediocre quality), but copy speeds for CF are 2-3x slower than Nexto. As mentioned above if weight is not an issue a cheap laptop is the simplest option.

EBH

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storing files on vacation

Or you can use extra CF cards? Debating between that option or the Nexto NVS 2801

Mar 14, 2017 at 05:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storing files on vacation

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Or you can use extra CF cards? Debating between that option or the Nexto NVS 2801

Unless you need some specific features of an NVS series, I'd suggest an ND series for CF since an Expresscard adapter would be needed for an NVS.

EBH

Mar 14, 2017 at 05:30 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storing files on vacation

laptop and two portable hard drives. That's what i did for my last working vacation. Had two-2TB hard drives and kept them in two places. Worked well.

Mar 14, 2017 at 05:59 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storing files on vacation

But doesn't take CFast in case I want to back up in the field? Just thinking of the options.

EB-1 wrote:
Unless you need some specific features of an NVS series, I'd suggest an ND series for CF since an Expresscard adapter would be needed for an NVS.

EBH

Mar 14, 2017 at 06:13 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storing files on vacation

The hyperdrive is a nice product.
You can run an integrity check after you copy files.
The interface is a little clunky.
Save money purchasing your own hdd. Overall, the advantage is the size, not cost. I'd borrow Mitesh's laptop.

Mar 14, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Archibald
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storing files on vacation

I went on vacation a year ago with just an Android tablet for backups. With an On-The-Go adapter, you can transfer files from your memory cards to Android memory and to USB flash drives via the Android device. The transfers are awkward and slow. I couldn't get it to work with a USB hard drive. Viewing the raw files was difficult. I would not recommend this backup method except when absolutely necessary.

I discovered that the Android would not recognize my 128GB SD card because it was formatted in exFAT, so had to use smaller cards in the camera.

Since this experience, I bought a Dell 13" XPS laptop, which is compact and light and speedy enough for a bit of editing with Lightroom. The laptop runs Wndows and is therefore compatible with all my regular peripherals, including the 128GB card and 1TB USB hard drive. Of course the laptop is also great for web browsing and email as well as keeping travel files, maps, bird ID books, and so on.

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:15 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Storing files on vacation

No one uploads to a cloud storage?

Kent in SD

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Storing files on vacation

I don't even own a laptop or tablet, so not a feasible option for me. Might get the Nexto and replace with a SSD, or just bring extra CF cards. Still deciding.

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Archibald
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Storing files on vacation

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

Try uploading 30GB of raw files in a hotel.

Mar 15, 2017 at 09:08 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Storing files on vacation

Archibald wrote:
Try uploading 30GB of raw files in a hotel.

I can't remember ever shooting that much, even on a two week trip. Having come from shooting Large Format, I'm pretty selective. Even with digital, there is still a cost to every image.

Kent inSD

Mar 15, 2017 at 09:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Storing files on vacation

Ming-Tzu wrote:
But doesn't take CFast in case I want to back up in the field? Just thinking of the options.

That would be a good reason.

EBH

Mar 15, 2017 at 09:42 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Storing files on vacation

Two23 wrote:
I can't remember ever shooting that much, even on a two week trip. Having come from shooting Large Format, I'm pretty selective. Even with digital, there is still a cost to every image.

Kent inSD

1.5TB is not unusual for me on a two week trip after getting the 5DsR.
The way I look at it storage is a small cost compared to $1000/day for a trip plus the cost of cameras and lenses.

EBH

Mar 15, 2017 at 09:47 AM
rustinm

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Storing files on vacation

If you are ok with building yourself, my solution is Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen. Use external drive or thumb drives. Small low power especially if using thumb drives, can run off an external battery pack. Have used on several trips no issue. If using an external hard drive may have to power that separately.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Storing files on vacation

It won't work for you but I just bought one of these after my Netbook died & I was forced to rely on an Ipad for my Feb Vacation. It has an SD slot BUT you still need to connect by wireless to transfer from the card to the HD. I have tested it & it accepts both the RAW (CR2) files & the jpg's and because it's USB 3.0 it was rather quick compared to my old netbook.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244324-REG/wd_wdbp2p0020bbk_nesn_2tb_my_passport_wireless.html

I have not tried using a card reader in it's USB port though but again you (if it would work) would need to control the transfer wirelessly from an IOS device or Android device. The drive can't make a transfer on it's own or if it can I haven't discovered how.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Storing files on vacation

Thanx for all the suggestions people. I can store approximately 7200 files on CFAST cards and I have a bunch of 32 gig CF cards, so I'll just forgo looking at the shots on a large screen until I get home. Of course, I could upgrade my wife's laptop to a Surface Pro, (or something similar), out of the goodness of my heart. That would free up the laptop...

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.