New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A first time in fashion photography

GiovanniAprea
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A first time in fashion photography

Hello,

during a short stay in Paris I had the venture to attend a fashion show as a spectator and as such in a not really comfy placement to shoot at the passing models but I gave it a try mostly to find out how to work out with continuous auto focus and with the kind of light along the scene, comments and suggestions welcome.

Mar 14, 2017 at 03:23 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A first time in fashion photography

Good capture and I love her outfit. It's a photographer's dream. You can set your white balance to just about any color temprature and get the same result! (lol)

Other than that, you might shorten your depth of field a bit. Actually, I like the expressions on the two people in the background. I wonder what they were thinking at that time.

Mar 14, 2017 at 08:12 AM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A first time in fashion photography

It was quite an experience, always seen photographers with lenses longer than a telescope, tripods, monopods, fighting for the right spot, chasing the models... much easier than that, if I only didn't have a short Japanese by my side who was creating a natural bottom frame vignette

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:01 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A first time in fashion photography

It appears they were at floor level or a very short runway. That's tough to shoot. The runway lights also look very contrasty. Lighting is often a challenge since some fashion shows don't think about good lighting and don't allow flash.

I'm assuming you shot without flash. You might have tried a shorter shutter speed to knock down the background a bit more and opened up the aperture.

For not having done it before, you're off to a good start.

Mar 14, 2017 at 01:47 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A first time in fashion photography

Ah, thank you for your encouraging words!

The show was set up in a very big room, the runaway was running through 5 rows of chairs if I recall it correct and as such spectators, like me, were below model's faces, let's say we were at their navel's level :-)

The first shots were an attempt at finding the right spot where to shoot since the lighting conditions were very tough and different in within just a few steps, once I found the sweet spot I kept shooting at them when they were in the almost same position and if I recall correct I used Shutter priority with a 1/400th of a second to allow me to freeze the action, aperture was always very open and ISO max being 3.200 and I was quite astonished at how well Continuous AutoFocus works and how sharp the results even though an experiment.

I hope I will have other chances to attend such a show, maybe next year back in Paris ;-)

End of the day Paris was a total new experience for me, work wise (I am not a photographer at all, I was there to accompany a friend who's partially unable to walk and move on his own) and photography wise, never shot a fashion show before, never done any street photography as well and happy in discovering new ventures in this never ending to wonder adventure photography being.

Thank you all for your nice comments, suggestions and support

Mar 14, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A first time in fashion photography

Nice pictures, especially for a first timer

Although IMO, shooting catwalk is a piece of cake nowadays, with the advanced AF, incredible high ISO options modern DSLR's and far more widely available and 'affordble' fast (long/longer) lenses nowadays.
Results basically only depend of the quality of the available stage lighting, which in this case obviously was well up to par

I remember well the anxiety, stress and sweat of my early catwalk shooting days in the early 80's as a debutant photographer/photography student, using a (obviously) manual focus 1.8/85mm FL lens (a, in its days quite extic 1970's lens which originally had cost twice as much as a film body of its age, but still much less the e.g. the first 2.8/80-200 Nikon zoom that in that period first, in a very limited number, hit the market) on a non-motorized Canon FTqL (with stop down light meter, good luck trying to, in a blacked out viewfinder, align the lightmeter needle with the 'correct exposure' indicator circle under the available light)
While shooting a 36 shot roll of ISO 64 Kodak EPY pushed one stop to 'no less' then ISO 125 (try to, basically only 'on the touch', very swiftly, since the show won't wait for you to catch up, swapping film rolls in the dark, without dropping the rolls, while feeding in the film correctly as not to run into the feared ' this roll seems to last forever, oh ***, it has not transported correctly' syndrom )

http://m1.i.pbase.com/g9/20/670620/2/164945161.9tbJ0nqc.jpg (Canon 1.8/85mm FL + Canon FTqL on Kodak EPY pushed ISO 125)

A world of difference with the 3 fps (no need to go faster) max ISO 6400 D3 and D800 continuous AF DSLR's with multi hundred shot memory cards, with 2.8/70-200 or 2/200 VR lenses I (gladly) use nowadays instead.

Mar 14, 2017 at 04:09 PM
MartikaG

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A first time in fashion photography

Great work!

Mar 24, 2017 at 01:19 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.