New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Snow storm moving in

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snow storm moving in

From last Saturday as the snow just started to hit near the BRP.

I thought that a mono was a no-brainer here but due to the cold I tried my hand at making it slightly cool.

Thoughts?

Dave

Mar 13, 2017 at 07:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snow storm moving in

Very serene and showing nice depth.

Hard to tell on my laptop, but might be just a tad oversharpened ... you know, the diff between clover leaf vs. one hole.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snow storm moving in

Just playing around as some food for thought and I'm pretty bored at work.

Jeff

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:55 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snow storm moving in

Very serene image. I like it and don't have any nit's. It is shirtsleeve weather here, guess winter went east.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:10 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Snow storm moving in

RustyBug wrote:
Very serene and showing nice depth.

Hard to tell on my laptop, but might be just a tad oversharpened ... you know, the diff between clover leaf vs. one hole.

Thanks Kent.
I'm glad you said something about the sharpening. I went back and forth for 20 minutes trying to figure out what was going on with my LR export settings. While in the develop module, when I used my normal export which is set for "screen" and "standard", I noticed the pine tree tips looking funky so I exported without any sharpening and it still looked messed up. Then I went in to the Library side and both exports looked ok.
Something weird is going on with my new LR cc or something. This isn't the first time I have noticed this and you just confirmed that something isn't right. Matter of fact, I also noticed some noise in that waterfall shot I posted the other day that doesn't show on the processed raw image. I gotta set down and get this figured out one of these days.

Dave

---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
Just playing around as some food for thought and I'm pretty bored at work.

Jeff

Hi Jeff! Your edit looks even cooler than where I took it. Is that right? Or is there something more there that I'm not seeing?

Dave
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
Very serene image. I like it and don't have any nit's. It is shirtsleeve weather here, guess winter went east.

Thanks Ben! I hear ya on the warm weather. This is extremely odd weather for us here. Our spring started about 3 weeks ago or more and we've had numerous days in the high 70's and even 80's. Now we are getting this white stuff and freezing temps. Crazy spring weather for sure this year.

Dave

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Snow storm moving in

lighthound wrote:
Hi Jeff! Your edit looks even cooler than where I took it. Is that right? Or is there something more there that I'm not seeing?

Dave

Yep! Painted over with a little mode "cool" toning. Slightly recropped and added some blurring to reduce the apparent crunch. With that soft fog my eyes are wanting a softer image to complement.

Jeff

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Snow storm moving in

+1 @ fog = soft / diffuse lighting = incongruous contrast if uber-sharpened.

OTOH, ... if ... we had evidence of some strong, direct, specular sunlight rays lighting up the foreground (or other) areas, then the sharper (i.e. more contrast) setting matches the more specular lighting.

The relationship between our diffuse / specular lighting and our contrast / sharpening is one area that can be a tell on our processing if we make the mismatch too much. Most folks won't notice some mismatch, but there comes a point when the eye (variable @ individual observer) starts to detect something amiss ... and thus, the ensuing tell.

Too sharp, too soft, too much contrast, not enough contrast ... vs. needs more, needs less, etc. ... all part of the puzzle pieces at how much is enough vs. too much. I recall years ago hearing folks talk about "reading your light", and I was clueless to what they meant by that. Many times, my color assessments are predicated upon first reading the light (to understand its inherent hue). The same can apply to our contrast & sharpening decisions, as well.

That's not to say we have to adhere to the congruity ... particularly where artistic license / liberty / rendering are obvious. But, when we are aspiring to present a "natural" vibe, keeping the tells below the radar are an ongoing concern while we strive to enhance / convey our message well. The most obvious one is probably halo generation, but even the crunchies, etc. can be a different form of a tell.

Mar 14, 2017 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.