New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Belize Advice.

Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Belize Advice.

Howdy,

I will be in Belize, outside the cruise ship umbrella, July 15-23 this year. I will be mostly in the Mayflower Street area. Does anyone here have any experience mingling in and around Belize City? I would like to do some street photography while I'm there.

I am looking for some basic do's and don'ts to keep me out of trouble.

Thanks,
Marty

Mar 13, 2017 at 04:08 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Belize Advice.

Thanks guys. I figured this out on my own. Here are my thoughts on shooting in Belize City for anyone who is interested. You can see photos from my trip on the people forum. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1501794

I don't recommend trying traditional street photography in the city. The people there can be confrontational and or camera shy. So much so that I stopped after a short attempt. Some of the people I pointed the camera at wanted money on the spot.

I was able to shoot freely in the neighborhood where I was working, which is arguably the worst area in the city. I was with a church group that has been working in the area for close to ten years and they have developed a good relationship with the residents there.

Here are some tips for anyone who plans to shoot there.

1. It is hot. I know that might be stating the obvious but I have been working in heavy construction in the southeast for 39 years and the heat in Belize knocked the wind out of me. Do not attempt to go straight from an air conditioned office lifestyle straight into the tropical heat down there.

2. The accommodations are rough. Unless you stay at a resort plan on spartan living conditions. The hotel where I stayed had faulty plumbing, faulty AC, no room cleaning/linen service and so on and so forth. It makes it hard to recover from a day out in the heat.

3. Wear waterproof shoes. There is nasty water standing almost everywhere. It would not be good to have a blister pop or step on a nail if your socks are saturated with that stuff.

4. Have a good sense of direction. I don't. The road signs are few and far between.

5. Speaking of driving, it appears to be a freestyle event. Lots of roundabouts, very few stop signs. I don't recall seeing any speed limit or other regulatory signs. Lot's of unmarked speed bumps that you can't see until it's too late.

6. On the bright side, everyone I met spoke English, even to each other. All the signs on stores are in English. Their Belizean Kriol is not that hard to get used to.

7. While the down town crowd was aggressively fussy about getting their picture taken, I was able to walk through some pretty sketchy areas by myself with my camera gear without incident. I would not recommend it though.

8. Overall...It is not for the fainthearted. Nor the casual shutterbug on a lark. It is a gritty, hot and somewhat intimidating environment to be on foot with a camera.

I plan to go back next year and hopefully I can find a way to get some street photography in. I just wasn't comfortable with it on this trip. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Marty

Jul 31, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Belize Advice.

yikes, thanks for the update.

Jul 31, 2017 at 04:08 PM
jdc562
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Belize Advice.

Thanks very much for your lessons learned. I haven't been to Belize yet, so your experiences and advice are very helpful.

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:31 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Belize Advice.

Vcook, thanks for taking time to comment.

Thanks jdc562,

I know it's not a mainstream location for shooting, like that Arch everyone talks about so much, but I can imagine someone getting off a cruise ship down there and wandering into town to take some pictures. Hopefully, if they see this, they will find it useful.

Marty

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:38 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password