New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Canon NFD 2.8/300L

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

For a long time I've meant to get one of these; they tend to be less trashed than used EF 2.8/300 lenses because the were made just before the move from FD to EF. And I don't mind MF for this kind of work (though on a monopod you could use TAP if the lens is mounted to the pod).

A great lens for our dogs, and a certain kind of people pic too. If Sony ever make an FE one I predict 6k

Anyhhw I was spurred into action by some nice images @Phillip Reeve posted (with the only slightly joking thought that if he reviews it used prices may spike for a bit)

I managed to get a clean copy of the nfd for US700...

So it, and adapters, won't arrive for a week....in the mean time any samples or discussion?

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Bespoked
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Congrats David.

I've got the Nikon version and the glorious 2/200, both wonderful on the 7R2. I prefer the Nikon as I can use it on a Nikon body and it seems to perform the same as the Canon FD whereas the FD cannot be used on a current Canon body.

This may mean nothing to most people considering it, but just thought I'd mention.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Better late than never, getting one of these. (I am talking about the lens, not the Hummer) Great performance to price, but 5 pounds gets heavy at the end of the day. Not as heavy as a Hummer, though. Those are Ospreys in the lower frame.

Edited on Mar 14, 2017 at 03:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

I have used mine only twice yet and I haven't performed any testing yet.

My initial impression is that it is really well corrected for axial CA, probably better than the FD 4/300 L. Sharpness seems to be great as well. I think it is the best corrected legacy lens I have used so far.

My copy has seen some use so I am not sure if it is representative of other copies but the resistance of the focus ring is very low. This makes it very easy to follow a moving target but I would prefer it a bit more damped.

With the a7II I can handhold it but not for long because this is a heavy beast and comparing using it to a workout is no overstatement. My FD 4/300 L is much more convenient in this regard and I am not sure yet whether I will keep the f/2.8.

Mar 13, 2017 at 02:32 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

I would LOVE to see a comparison of the 300/2.8 vs f4, mounted on an A7...

Mar 13, 2017 at 02:37 PM
genji
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

ISO1600 wrote:
I would LOVE to see a comparison of the 300/2.8 vs f4, mounted on an A7...

I've long thought about picking up a copy of the 300/4L so I'd also love to see a comparison of it with the 300/2.8L, especially on the A7R II.

Mar 13, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

It won't happen this month but I will compare them on my a7ii.

Mar 13, 2017 at 06:20 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Sweet! Yeah I'm in the "always wanted a 300/4L" boat.

Mar 13, 2017 at 07:28 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

I love my FD 300mm f/2.8L much, even with some fungus traces it performs very well.
I like the easy focus control much, it is normal on these FD supertele lenses (have worked with three 400 and two 300 f/2.8).
After working with the FD 400mm f/2.8L with 5.5kg weight, the 300mm is a small and light lens with less than half the weight.
The image quality the FD 300mm f/2.8L gives it absolutely great, the 400mm is lower. But likely not as low as many may think. I use it more often than the smaller one.

Autumn Portrait by Markus, auf Flickr

Under the tree by Markus, auf Flickr

Mar 13, 2017 at 09:19 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Worth putting on your radar if you want a small 300/4 is the Pentax M * 300/4 lens. This is a VERY small lens but is hard to find in the wild and can be expensive. But there are not many small quality lenses that offer great design and this level of build quality...

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I have used mine only twice yet and I haven't performed any testing yet.

My initial impression is that it is really well corrected for axial CA, probably better than the FD 4/300 L. Sharpness seems to be great as well. I think it is the best corrected legacy lens I have used so far.

My copy has seen some use so I am not sure if it is representative of other copies but the resistance of the focus ring is very low. This makes it very easy to follow a moving target but I would prefer it a bit more
...Show more

I will never, I think, take this lens on any travel. It's for our dogs in the forest, some tele portraits around town, and some fun with wildlife in our local park (birds not in flight, roos, wombats, echidna) and maybe a little local tele landscape fun. But I'm not really a long lens guy. If I were I would want something more portable for travel, and probably want both fast tele and portable tele to be AF.

Mar 14, 2017 at 05:49 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

DavidBM wrote:
I was spurred into action by some nice images @Phillip Reeve@ posted (with the only slightly joking thought that if he reviews it used prices may spike for a bit)

I managed to get a clean copy of the nfd for US700...

I got one a couple of weeks ago, purely co-incidentally as I ordered it before seeing Phillip's article on SAR.

I paid 670 (~$800 US), which is not bad as prices always tend to be higher in the UK. The lens is in excellent cosmetic condition and is a thing of beauty (it's really true what you said I've seen nothing but beat up EF 300mm 2.8Ls on eBay).

Contrast is low but it's acceptably sharp wide open. It doesn't seem to sharpen up much stopped down, but that's is fine with me as I'm not going to lug 2.3KG of lens around to shoot at f/5.6. Hand holding is doable but uncomfortable to say the least, mainly due to the small tripod foot that digs into your hand, may be better with it removed (resting the foot in my palm I can focus with my fingers and also let go of the focus ring once I have focussed (which is important - see below)).

Phillip Reeve wrote:
My copy has seen some use so I am not sure if it is representative of other copies but the resistance of the focus ring is very low. This makes it very easy to follow a moving target but I would prefer it a bit more damped.

Mine is exactly the same - I guess it was designed primarily for sports. I too would prefer more friction for precise focussing - I also have the FD 800mm f/5.6L and that has a variable friction control for the focus wheel (not ring!) which is great.

DavidBM wrote:
in the mean time any samples or discussion?

I haven't taken the lens out properly yet so I only have a few test shots, but I did make one very interesting discovery - with IBIS on the A7RII I can hand hold it consistently at 1/30s!

The following are all at f/2.8, straight out of camera with no PP. Firstly a picture of the lens using my phone:

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

This lens deployed drop in filters; both a space for gels and also a 48mm glass screw in that could be normal, ND or a special polarizer they made.

I seem to recall that Canon said you should always use a 'normal' drop in.

I wonder if that means the lens is calculated to include that filter? @Matt Grum @Phillip Reeve does your copy have a glass drop in filter?

I also read that the one Canon supplied was single coated, but that you can rep,ace it with a modern MC version if you want to include the glass in the path with less contrast loss. But presumably has to be the same thickness as the original...

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

300mm is for specialty use only. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to carry around a 300mm lens, it won't make any difference if you go with a slower option for its slightly smaller size. Any 300mm lens will always be too big to carry casually, and so imho the FD 300mm f2.8 is always the best (legacy) choice at this focal length over any slower option.

I've kept mine, but I only use it every other year

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

DavidBM wrote:
I wonder if that means the lens is calculated to include that filter? @Matt Grum@ @Phillip Reeve@ does your copy have a glass drop in filter?

Mine came with a screw in filter that reads "Canon 48mm regular 1x". I've just put the lens back in its hiding place, but next time I take it out I'll shoot a comparison with and without the drop-in.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

DavidBM wrote:
This lens deployed drop in filters; both a space for gels and also a 48mm glass screw in that could be normal, ND or a special polarizer they made.

I wonder if that means the lens is calculated to include that filter? @Matt Grum@ @Phillip Reeve@ does your copy have a glass drop in filter?

I also read that the one Canon supplied was single coated, but that you can rep,ace it with a modern MC version if you want to include the glass in the path with
...Show more

Yes, the glass filter is integral to the optical design of Canon telephotos.

Mar 15, 2017 at 02:38 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

DavidBM wrote:

I also read that the one Canon supplied was single coated, but that you can rep,ace it with a modern MC version if you want to include the glass in the path with less contrast loss. But presumably has to be the same thickness as the original...

The "normal" 1X filter does extend the image back toward the camera, but because of the variable infinity focus stop it makes no practical difference. But, yes, I believe the focal length and lens register was calculated assuming the presence of the normal 1X filter. When I would modify the focusing of the FD300/2.8 to reach infinity with Ed Mika's FD-EF mount changer on Cannon bodies, It was important that the normal 1X was in place.

I use the rotating polarizing filter full time in my FD300. I will say that it gives a very mild polarizing effect and I've often wondered if something was wrong with it, but the IQ of the lens is always excellent.

Mar 15, 2017 at 02:54 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

briantho wrote:
300mm is for specialty use only. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to carry around a 300mm lens, it won't make any difference if you go with a slower option for its slightly smaller size. Any 300mm lens will always be too big to carry casually, and so imho the FD 300mm f2.8 is always the best (legacy) choice at this focal length over any slower option.

It used to bother me that 300mm f/4 lenses are always so much bigger and heavier than say 200 mm f/2.8 lenses. So I did some research and found the Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 to be quite a bit smaller. 160 mm long and only 880 g. It is a nice lens but I miss 300 2.8 (I used to have the Canon EF IS v. I).

Mar 15, 2017 at 08:06 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

briantho wrote:

Not sure I totally agree!
I look forward to the 2.8/300 for the things it can do.

Bu if you want a lens, say, for tele landscaping and plan to carry it around all day a really good f4.5 would be very appealing! Nikon have managed to use diffractive elements to get a4/300 for around 700g. That's less than a third the weight!

But I partially agree - if you 300 only comes out on special occasions, and you never travel with it (both true for me) it may as well be f2.8 if aren't the issue...

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:56 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Both the 300/2.8 and 500/4.5 represent substantial bargains for people looking for super-teles who don't mind MF. I liked my 300, though, honestly, I didn't see a lot of difference in IQ between it and the Nikon AIS 300/2.8. Nothing to complain about with either of them.

From the 300/2.8L and the 1.4x...

a7_FD300_28_14x_Young_Mr_Rabbit by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

a7_FD300_28_14x_Feathered_Narcissus by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

a7_FD300_28_14x_Ducks by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:49 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password