FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2017 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Full-Sized jpeg duck shot with the 300+1.4

There's an unprocessed sample with a duck on a log right at the thirds mark, @DavidBM, that will allow you some space for inspection. Just 24MP though. The bokeh and longer distance performance are what you give up using the TC. The Ed Mikah FD-to-EF conversion might allow for the use of a modern EF TC.

The bare lens does very well on an APSC camera at 24MP...

ABF_14_2013 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

ABF_18_2013 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

Though, these days, I rarely bother with TC's or APSC. The a7rII gives me plenty of room to crop-zoom.

Mar 15, 2017 at 09:58 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

It's arrived! Incredibly rapid from Japan.
Great condition; optics look absolutely spotless, and overall cosmetics are excellent as described.
Drop in filter in place to my relief, since it might have been hard to trace, and wasn't mentioned in the ad.
Also arrived is the FD 1.4x which I ordered yesterday; and it looks like it's just off the production line even though it must be over 30 years old.

All good: but it turns out I don't have an FD-E adapter!! I was sure I did have, but no: I think I gave mine away to whoever bought the 1.2/85 FD I used to have.

Frustrating. Won't be until next week that I can post samples. I've ordered a Leicaist so that I can try the lens on TAP (letting TAP move the camera, not the lens of course) but might get a regular one as well so as not to have a series of adapters (FD-M, M-E) when not using TAP.

Also picking up a used Sirui chucky monopod with their nice monopod head; I think that'll make the Beast a lot more usable in the field...

Mar 16, 2017 at 09:03 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

freaklikeme wrote:
Full-Sized jpeg duck shot with the 300+1.4

There's an unprocessed sample with a duck on a log right at the thirds mark, @DavidBM@, that will allow you some space for inspection. Just 24MP though. The bokeh and longer distance performance are what you give up using the TC. The Ed Mikah FD-to-EF conversion might allow for the use of a modern EF TC.

The bare lens does very well on an APSC camera at 24MP...

Just checked out the duck. Absolutely usable - passes the fine at 1:2 (even if 24MP 1:2) test, and takes a bit of sharpening without cost as well. Wow. that's with a TC. Looking forward to some manual bird fun (we are blessed with over 200 species of native birds visiting our garden - when I retire I'm tempted by some serious modern long iron and taking up photo birding - but that's a decade or so away)

On the rear filter issue" mine comes with the Canon installed, as is needed. But looking at the Canon rear filter if definitely single coated at best. I wonder if, being so close to the back with a reflective digital sensor, if replacing it with a multicoated one might not be the best bet. But it's fifty bucks down the gurgler if it doesn't matter. I suppose I could see if there is a flare difference with and without the filter, and if there is, do the change...

Yes I agree that crop zoom is pretty effective on the A7rII. It's what, 18MP for a 1.5x crop which isn't a huge loss compared to 24MP of a native APSC. And the TC gives no noise etc advantage over a crop, if you are light limited. But the TC plus cropping gets you to 600. It'l be interesting to do a comparison of lens+TC+crop versus lens plus double crop at 60MM equivalent. I'll post. I"m pretty sure that either would be better than a 2x TC.

Mar 16, 2017 at 09:13 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Phillip Reeve wrote:
It won't happen this month but I will compare them on my a7ii.

Tag to be in line for the comparison

Mar 25, 2017 at 06:04 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

briantho wrote:
300mm is for specialty use only. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to carry around a 300mm lens, it won't make any difference if you go with a slower option for its slightly smaller size. Any 300mm lens will always be too big to carry casually, and so imho the FD 300mm f2.8 is always the best (legacy) choice at this focal length over any slower option.

I'll respectfully disagree. I've been using ~300mm lenses (nearly a dozen models) since 1971, it's my most-used lens and I carry it everywhere. I've backpacked with 300mm f/4.5 and f/4 lenses; no way I'd do that with a 300mm f/2.8. I found that for my subjects the DOF at f/2.8 was too shallow to be useful and with a 300mm f/2.8 I was carrying a lot of extra weight in order to have an f/2.8 aperture I wasn't going to use.

Mar 27, 2017 at 08:19 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

briantho wrote:
300mm is for specialty use only. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to carry around a 300mm lens, it won't make any difference if you go with a slower option for its slightly smaller size. Any 300mm lens will always be too big to carry casually, and so imho the FD 300mm f2.8 is always the best (legacy) choice at this focal length over any slower option.

I've kept mine, but I only use it every other year

Sorry,

I do not find a 300mm or close to that a specialty lens. I will often use one if carried for landscape photography to tear apart the landscape as well as for wildlife and even flowers, etc.

Like Doug (Telyt) I would find my Leica R 280mm f2.8 Apo Telyt lens much to heavy to carry far and would instead carry my Leica R 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens which is even sharper. But,l this is still a heavy lens. Doug like others also have a Canon FD f4 L lens that is substantially lighter than the Leica 280mm F4 Apo but is also not as fine a performer and much less costly.

Rich

Edited on Mar 27, 2017 at 11:39 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2017 at 08:46 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Worth putting on your radar if you want a small 300/4 is the Pentax M * 300/4 lens. This is a VERY small lens but is hard to find in the wild and can be expensive. But there are not many small quality lenses that offer great design and this level of build quality...

Compared to the Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS the Pentax M * 300/4 is 1 pound heaver with almost identical dimensions

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:24 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Well the adapters have arrived so I've been testing the 2.8/300FD.
My general sense is that its very good, better at medium to long distances but good up to its MFD.
I've been doing some testing; it's much better than a top 135 (APO sonnar) or a good 180 (APO Lanthar) cropped and resized. Use with the 1.4 TC is more complicated compared to crop and resize. I posted this in a dedicated thread to the visual impact of crop and resize, but roughly in the outer areas of the image crop and resize is way ahead of the TC; in the middle TC gives you better fine details but much worse contrast.

Anyhow, here's a photo rather than a test:

Mar 31, 2017 at 05:22 AM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

telyt wrote:
I'll respectfully disagree. I've been using ~300mm lenses (nearly a dozen models) since 1971, it's my most-used lens and I carry it everywhere.

naturephoto1 wrote:
Sorry, I do not find a 300mm or close to that a specialty lens.

I'm sorry, you are right of course. I should have said for most people 300mm is for specialty use only. Obviously there will be exceptions, but I'm pretty sure very few people regularly carry a 300mm in their camera bag.

Apr 01, 2017 at 04:22 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Bespoked wrote:
I own one 300, a 2.8/300 AF-S, it collects dust and when I do shoot it, it's because I e come across it and will tinker with it for a few minutes.
Same with my 200, a 2/200. I have 2 x TC's for both of them.

My second shooter doesn't have anything longer than 135 and no one else I know shoots 300, I'd say it's a speciality FL.

Well if you don't know of anyone who uses a 300mm lens I guess that settles it.

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:19 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

telyt wrote:

Lol.

For me, it depends on what and where I am shooting. If I am off to shoot waterfalls in NC, the 180mm and 280mm lenses and teleconverters stay home. At Yosemite shooting Horsetail or Bridal Veil falls? They are all there and used while the wide lenses gather dust. Horses for courses. The Leica R apo long lenses are so good, it makes one search for ways to use them, weight be damned! 😀

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:28 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

telyt wrote:

Apr 01, 2017 at 11:41 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Any prime wider than 21 and longer than 135 is something of a "specialty" lens these days. More people have a way to get to 300 in a zoom

Apr 01, 2017 at 06:46 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Wow I'm like a kid in a toyshop. The 300 f2.8 has a look that I've lusted after for a long long time, and while no doubt recent ones are better, this is still amazingly good.

But -- Drumroll -- TAP works!! It's incredible. It works really well (I guess the lens has good contrast for focussing and is fast enough). I have the lens on a monopod taking pics of the dogs, and manual focus was really tricky - the tiniest movement of the fairly loose (for manual follow focus) ring and things are off. But if you focus as well as you can manually, TAP will then keep sharp focus on eyes (if you have the point there of course - no Eye AF)

Of course TAP is moving the camera not the lens, so you have to be careful to let the camera move.

Apr 01, 2017 at 07:04 PM
genji
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

DavidBM wrote:
Wow I'm like a kid in a toyshop. The 300 f2.8 has a look that I've lusted after for a long long time, and while no doubt recent ones are better, this is still amazingly good.

But -- Drumroll -- TAP works!! It's incredible. It works really well (I guess the lens has good contrast for focussing and is fast enough). I have the lens on a monopod taking pics of the dogs, and manual focus was really tricky - the tiniest movement of the fairly loose (for manual follow focus) ring and things are off. But if you focus as
...Show more

Impressive! Score another one for the mighty TAP. Were you about 3 meters away from Annie?

Apr 01, 2017 at 07:45 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

genji wrote:
Impressive! Score another one for the mighty TAP. Were you about 3 meters away from Annie?

Yep somewhere near MFD anyway.....

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:04 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Since I have the FD 400mm f/2.8L the small 300mm/2.8 is often at home while the big one is with me.

Here two older images I have made with the Fd 300mm f/2.8L

Lighthouse Amrum by Markus, auf Flickr

France-Landscape by Markus, auf Flickr

Apr 02, 2017 at 03:04 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Bespoked wrote:
I regularly talk with dozens of photographers, none of which shoot that long. Of course there are a small group that shoot 300mm+
My point being, as stated, a 300mm is a speciality lens.

What you have pointed out is the limitation of your peer group.

Apr 02, 2017 at 09:24 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

Does the number of 300mm shooters really matter?

Apr 03, 2017 at 03:36 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon NFD 2.8/300L

We need a poll!

I am in the "I´ve got two or more 300mm´s and hardly ever use them/ gearhead" category.

Apr 03, 2017 at 04:27 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.