Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

alandizzle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

Hey guys, just a dumb question. I realized that my induro ball head BHD2 isn't completely flushed when it's in portrait mode. is this my ballhead malfunction? Or... is it designed this way? It's really annoying when I'm trying to focus stack and it's not completely lined up properly.

Photo Example

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

alandizzle wrote:
Hey guys, just a dumb question. I realized that my induro ball head BHD2 isn't completely flushed when it's in portrait mode. is this my ballhead malfunction? Or... is it designed this way? It's really annoying when I'm trying to focus stack and it's not completely lined up properly.

Photo Example

Try it with the clamp knob rotated to the top.

Also consider an L bracket to keep the mass over the ball for better stability.

EBH

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:39 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

A lot of the short ballheads do not work well when you flip into portrait mode. I do not like L brackets so I like a good taller ballhead that works well when you pivot into the notch. Kirk BH-1, Kirk BH-3, and Arca-Swiss Z1 all do a good job here. All also have the notch on the left which I find easier to work than a notch on the right.

Mar 13, 2017 at 07:30 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

^ In what way do they not work well?

Mar 13, 2017 at 08:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

I think you might want to turn the clamp 180 degrees so the clamp locking knob is in the up position. that way it will not impinge on the wall of the ball head possibly causing your issue. it then will very likely allow it to settle into the correct position in the notch.

the suggestion of an L bracket, though some don't care for them, is an excellent one as it allow greater mechanical advantage/movement in varying situations.

as to "short" ball heads not working well in the flip side not so true but:

why would I want to do this (Image 1)
when I can do that (Image 2)

oh, if I do run into a real vertical fit issue (someone elses gear setup) I have at my disposal a screw on 1" riser block which at the time of use eliminates any questions of usability in any situation.

using an L allows easier recomposition when moving from landscape to portrait or visa versa

Image 1

Image 2

Mar 13, 2017 at 08:08 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

EB-1 wrote:
Try it with the clamp knob rotated to the top.

Also consider an L bracket to keep the mass over the ball for better stability.

EBH

+1 on rotating the locking knob to the top. ;-)

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

likewise with sjms comment.

btw sjms; what is that round mechanism surround your lens?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

i only use the notch when i need to face the lens perpendicular or at angles to the heaven.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:00 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

tntcorp wrote:

The reversed hood by the looks of it ?

+1 on the L-bracket

Andy

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

yep its the hood. I just threw the camera/lens on from my bag. gotta store it somewhere ready to go.

Mar 14, 2017 at 04:49 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

If you slide the camera to the stop on the plate and then pivot into the notch on a short ballhead they sometimes hit the tripod or ballhead before you get perpendicular. Or they are so tight in gap a wired remote is now hard to use.

Taller ballheads are easier to use as you get more working room when you flip into the notch. Make sense?

peter_n wrote:
^ In what way do they not work well?

Mar 14, 2017 at 07:18 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

cadman342001 wrote:
tntcorp wrote:

The reversed hood by the looks of it ?

+1 on the L-bracket

Andy[/quote

got it andy & sjms... :-)

Mar 14, 2017 at 07:43 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

When I get a new canera the first thing I do is get an L bracket. Even my D5300 back up has one. I do it because they make the camera much more stable, and it's a lot faster.

Kent in SD

Mar 14, 2017 at 08:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

WestTexas Sky wrote:
If you slide the camera to the stop on the plate and then pivot into the notch on a short ballhead they sometimes hit the tripod or ballhead before you get perpendicular. Or they are so tight in gap a wired remote is now hard to use.

Taller ballheads are easier to use as you get more working room when you flip into the notch. Make sense?

using a Nikon Dx or Dxxx series camera that won't happen due to the location of the remote attachment or combination with the sliding capability for other I/O

on Nikon Dxxxx cameras and most Canon models you use the sliding capability for all I/O

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:47 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

I've had numerous Canon DSLR bodies and never needed to slide anything out, though I only use a remote release, not video.

That sideways bracket sure is off-center.

EBH

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

well then that answers it all for you. the point is you have the capability to make things work as needed. as you can see I would not need to do this with the config I have. just showing extremes to which one can go

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:39 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Induro Ball Head not flushed?

WestTexas Sky wrote:

From the perspective of stability, I think keeping the enter of gravity as low as possible in a ballhead housing is a good thing. The Burzynski (2nd pic below) is the ultimate example of this. You remove a systematic-type tripod's top plate and that head is mounted into the tripod's base ring. The Burzynski is considered to be the most rigid head you can get, and you need stability & rigidity way more frequently than a clamp that will sit flush with the ballhead housing. Especially when an L-bracket will solve your clamp's knob fouling the housing.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.