p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First attempt at a composite

My first attempt at a composite.

C&C welcome.

sfurr 2016

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM
ThePictureGuy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First attempt at a composite

**Edit** because some sleep made me realize I'm a bit of an idiot - this is your son, isn't it?**

I'm going to nitpick some since you asked for constructive crit, but I want to emphasize that I'm still impressed (I've never been able to manage a composite of this sort!). The name is fine on the bottom but I'm not sure how I feel about the number up top, particularly with it being a different fill (sort of a transparent vs. the gradient on the name, right?). Also, I don't like having the shot of him away from the camera (top right). I imagine given the raised stick it was a post-goal celebration, but for something like this I think better to have another shot from the front.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:28 AM
danrbeck

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First attempt at a composite

I think it's a good start. Feels a bit busy right now. I'm no expert but I've done a couple like this (just never hockey). Sometimes even just a few well placed and balanced images is better than a whole slew. I would also bring in the images off the edge where possible. For example the image on the top left looks like the head is getting cut off ever so slightly. As with another composite post here I'd recommend bringing down the opacity of the background images or using black and white (possibly even in conjunction with the lower opacity). P Alese also made a suggestion to use sepia, which could also give a neat look. However, with the blue background it might not mesh quite right. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM
sfurr

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First attempt at a composite

ThePictureGuy, , yes he is. No offense taken, I am looking for the nitpicks so I can improve. I agree the number was kind of hanging there so I removed it. He wanted to keep the raised stick even though it was from behind. He plays right wing but every time I am in position to take a photo he scores from the left side, just my luck.

danrbeck, I de-cluttered somewhat, and reduced the opacity of one image while bringing the two on the bottom up. I tried to reduce them but the Jersey started bleeding thru. The Blue background is presenting a challenge with B&W or sepia but I am trying different backgrounds and getting closer.

Thank you for the C&C and keep it coming.

EDIT: Added additional

sfurr 2016

Different background less cluttered and opacity changed.

Mar 15, 2017 at 08:33 PM
danrbeck

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First attempt at a composite

I like the first edit. Much less cluttered and feels more balanced. I know what you're saying about the other jersey bleeding through when the opacity gets too low. When opacity doesn't work for me I'll try either a drop shadow or a faint white (or other color that makes sense) outer glow. The smaller bottom images also look better now that they are away from the edge and I also don't mind the stick going off the poster, it works for me.
The second edit I don't think has a strong main focus or "big" picture so it isn't as appealing to me.
Just some thoughts. :-)

Mar 16, 2017 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First attempt at a composite

I'll vote for the first edit

Mar 16, 2017 at 05:50 PM
SouthBayPhoto_
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First attempt at a composite

I agree, the first edit looks better. Nice and clean, yet the middle image jumps out at ya, as well as the name at the bottom.

Only thing I did notice and this is just nitpicking a bit is the white lettering for the team name at the very bottom does blend into the yellow leggings a bit. Maybe if it was bold white or a grey/silver? Again, that is totally nitpicking. It really does look good. Was just a thought and I was curious how it would look and if that would make the team name standout a touch better. But it is still exceptional work.

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:47 PM
sfurr

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First attempt at a composite

I tried to bold out for the team name and I think it does look better. I also tried the grey/silver combo and it still blended in so I went with the bold. I softened up the image a bit, the first edit began to look a little harsh.

Edit: once I started looking at it again I moved the main image to the right and tried another more bold lettering style. I tried to change the background color of the box and/or bring the box to the front but it did not look right as another color or when it covered up the two smaller images.

Bold Team name

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:33 PM
sfurr

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First attempt at a composite

I was finally on the correct side after a goal. Last game of the season...

sfurr 2016

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:53 PM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First attempt at a composite

Awesome. I think we have our winner.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password